New Delta CEO weighs cutting overseas service as fuel costs rise

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
Ed Bastian, Delta Air Lines Inc.s new chief executive officer, is considering cuts to international service as rising fuel costs and weak foreign economies make some routes unprofitable.

When you have oil prices rising, that takes a thin-margin route to a negative route pretty quickly, Bastian said in an interview on Bloomberg TV. You start to ask yourself the question, Is that the right decision, and do you need to be doing it now?

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2016/05/new-delta-ceo-weighs-cutting-overseas-service-as-fuel-costs-rise.html/

Reactions: 1 person
I guess that refinery isn't helping DL with fuel costs? :p

I would imagine crappy economies abroad are hurting DL more than the fuel costs.

Reactions: 3 people
It's always 'something' with DL.   First it was thier Ill thought out deal with (i believe) China Eastern.  Next came  G O L  taking it-in-the-shorts, then BAD hedging decisions, (NO problem for the BIG DOG - AA ) ,now over capacity.  Again, It's ALWAYS something with them !  I wonder what the next Brain Storm will be? (maybe some DL style unique deal with AEROFLOT)  :wacko:  :wacko:  ????
NO Wonder  Big  DICK Anderson headed for the exits !

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
It's always 'something' with DL.   First it was thier Ill thought out deal with (i believe) China Eastern.  Next came  G O L  taking it-in-the-shorts, then BAD hedging decisions, (NO problem for the BIG DOG - AA ) ,now over capacity.  Again, It's ALWAYS something with them !  I wonder what the next Brain Storm will be? (maybe some DL style unique deal with AEROFLOT)  :wacko:  :wacko:  ????
NO Wonder  Big  DICK Anderson headed for the exits !
Yeah! Why would ANY company plan ahead or make adjustments to their business plan!

Just wait til the sh!t hits the fan and start the layoffs!

Kev3188 said:
Just following your lead...
You're still so sour that you have to suffer the indignity of putting on a DAL uniform after years with NW, that you pray for DAL's demise just to mutter your infamous line: "doesn't surprise me".

Reactions: 4 people
townpete said:
You're still so sour that you have to suffer the indignity of putting on a DAL uniform after years with NW, that you pray for DAL's demise just to mutter your infamous line: "doesn't surprise me".
Your nearly unblemished track record of being dead wrong doesn't surprise me.

Uniforms are a bright spot.

Have you thought about getting involved with the community? Maybe Meals on Wheels or something similar? Might do wonders for that empty soul of yours.

Reactions: 1 person
Kev3188 said:
Your nearly unblemished track record of being dead wrong doesn't surprise me.
Uniforms are a bright spot.
Have you thought about getting involved with the community? Maybe Meals on Wheels or something similar? Might do wonders for that empty soul of yours.
I always know when I hit it square the head with you Kev. Your typical canned response.

Reactions: 2 people