New Pay Raises for Crews

W,

I don't expect you to understand why customers are not impressed by anything implemented at AA by Parker.
But have you ever asked yourself why DL and DL employees so vehemently objected to Parker and his brilliant business plan while they were in bankruptcy?

Spin away!

No spin. Because he/them went after Delta when they were vulnerable and it looked like the interlopers were trying to storm the Castle so they (The Pilots) dug in and fought the Huns.

Maybe a business plan between DL/US would have worked and maybe it wouldn't have? But the Pilots were not approached first to get the sales pitch.

Customers? Customers as a whole aren't excited about ANYTHING where they might wind up paying more and getting less than THEY want. They want the First Class treatment flying through the air like a bird for $99.00 round trip with a hot towel to wipe their face after their 3 course meal.

Look at your own handle as that example. "Frugal" Flyer. What do I think are your expectations when you gave yourself that handle? You want cheap.

Anyway back to Parker. I don't care about Parker. I care/cared about the Buisness plan and how that would/could work out for both the Airline's and then in turn my best interests. I wanted to FINALLY see the return on the investment I made to AA back in 2003. Under the old business plan it was plain as day that I would never see a return.

You as a passenger I understand have your interests but your interests don't exactly align with my interests as a person who just wants to have a decent financial life and is asking you to provide that for me. Airlines are a for profit business, not a commodity.

Reactions: diamondcutter
W,

I don't expect you to understand why customers are not impressed by anything implemented at AA by Parker.
But have you ever asked yourself why DL and DL employees so vehemently objected to Parker and his brilliant business plan while they were in bankruptcy?

Spin away!

BTW "Frugal" this is what it's all about. You may want to consider changing your handle if you want more consideration?

"The carrier said that starting Saturday, it is tweaking the formula used for determining the priority for space-available upgrades given to elite members of the AAdvantage program.

Among the biggest changes: American will give more priority than before to frequent-fliers who've spent a lot of money with the carrier during the previous year.

That continues a shift by the USA’s “big three” carriers to increasingly reward fliers for money spent."

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/101789538/

You as a passenger I understand have your interests but your interests don't exactly align with my interests as a person who just wants to have a decent financial life and is asking you to provide that for me. Airlines are a for profit business, not a commodity.

This quote just won the Internet.

All Weasles wants is for customers to provide him with a good life, and he clearly isn't interested in the other side of the service equation.

And you wonder why the airlines get skewered by the media?...

This quote just won the Internet.

All Weasles wants is for customers to provide him with a good life, and he clearly isn't interested in the other side of the service equation.

And you wonder why the airlines get skewered by the media?...

Completely not true. If I'm a waiter in an expensive restaurant and I provide you fantastic service shouldn't I expect a decent tip for providing you the attention you asked for?

I believe the more you or your Company spends for the services my Airline provides, the more you should expect and we should provide great service in return and attend to your needs. Absolutely.

But if you want to spend Greyhound rates then you should be riding the bus to your destination.

If you want Fillet Mignon and Lobster you shouldn't expect that the price on the menu is what you would normally expect to pay for a cheeseburger.

I was referring to you and not Warren Buffett and the likes of you that created a work environment that felt like they needed to be represented by a union. And then you got push out

Try to kept up

Yes the likes of people like E who were extremely satisfied with keeping us mired down in low wages and benefits as long as they could and rubbing our noses in it, thankfully now have been pushed out. (Hopefully never to return)

Completely not true. If I'm a waiter in an expensive restaurant and I provide you fantastic service shouldn't I expect a decent tip for providing you the attention you asked for?

I believe the more you or your Company spends for the services my Airline provides, the more you should expect and we should provide great service in return and attend to your needs. Absolutely.

But if you want to spend Greyhound rates then you should be riding the bus to your destination.

Tips are a lot like profit sharing -- they're the result of what you've delivered. You seem to think that the tips should be paid at the beginning of the meal.

You have this notion that I support low wages and benefits. Feel free to project that elsewhere. I have no problem with fair wages. I just expect reasonable productivity in return.

You want to complain about wages and benefits? Talk to your union. They're the ones who chose to protect jobs over wages and benefits.

Last edited:
Tips are a lot like profit sharing -- they're the result of what you've delivered. You seem to think that the tips should be paid at the beginning of the meal.

You have this notion that I support low wages and benefits. Feel free to project that elsewhere. I have no problem with fair wages. I just expect reasonable productivity in return.

You want to complain about wages and benefits? Talk to your union. They're the ones who chose to protect jobs over wages and benefits.

So where does your expense report fall to how you would quantity "fair wages"?

This could be interesting to read.

and outsourcing to the fullest extent possible

Depends on the job.

$30-45 is a fair wage for highly skilled positions i.e. mechanics and dispatchers who require specific training and a licensing exam. Personally, the TWU has screwed these guys over, but they've also done some of it to themselves by taking a hardline approach on scope vs. increasing pay.

For entry level positions (i.e. something any 18 year old with a drivers license and GED can apply for), no higher than $17/hour starting (median income for a HS graduate), and capping them at $35 for longevity. Those types of jobs aren't intended to be careers unto themselves, but there's something to be said for experience.

Most people like to think they're worth more than they're earning, but airline work isn't exactly unique or special. Working as a fleet service clerk or agent is no more deserving of higher starting pay than what the average starting teacher makes (currently around $30,000), and even with experience, those positions aren't more deserving of what a tenured law enforcement officer makes (median $55,000).

And yet, I'm sure you will argue otherwise... Those arguing for a $15/hr minimum wage certainly think that flipping burgers and bagging groceries is worth $31,200 per year. That's ridiculous when you think about the fact minimum wage was only around $3 to $5 when we were entering the job market.

Last edited:
Depends on the job.

$30-45 is a fair wage for highly skilled positions i.e. mechanics and dispatchers who require specific training and a licensing exam. Personally, the TWU has screwed these guys over, but they've also done some of it to themselves by taking a hardline approach on scope vs. increasing pay.

For entry level positions (i.e. something any 18 year old with a drivers license and GED can apply for), no higher than $17/hour starting (median income for a HS graduate), and capping them at $35 for longevity. Those types of jobs aren't intended to be careers unto themselves, but there's something to be said for experience.

Most people like to think they're worth more than they're earning, but airline work isn't exactly unique or special. Working as a fleet service clerk or agent is no more deserving of higher starting pay than what the average starting teacher makes (currently around $30,000), and even with experience, those positions aren't more deserving of what a tenured law enforcement officer makes (median $55,000).

And yet, I'm sure you will argue otherwise... Those arguing for a $15/hr minimum wage certainly think that flipping burgers and bagging groceries is worth $31,200 per year. That's ridiculous when you think about the fact minimum wage was only around $3 to $5 when we were entering the job market.

Actually it might shock you but I do pretty much agree with almost everything you wrote here. Actually this might kill the individuals out there that think I'm so liberal but your starting wages are a little too high IMO.

And on the minimum wage issue my thoughts are a little more complicated than just jumping to a one size (wage) fits all. The cost of living in the area you're applying for a job and the size of the business should be factored in. The current Federal minimum wage in NYC, BOS, CHI, and most of California is ridiculous. But how is that viewed in poorer States is a question. Should there be two separate minimum wages? A 16 to 18 Working Papers High School wage and another for those over 18?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/04/5-facts-about-the-minimum-wage/

And many States are taking the matter of raising the minimum wage into their own hands anyway. But the Federal minimum should be raised by at least a few more dollars as a new floor.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/state-minimum-wage-chart.aspx

Last edited:
and outsourcing to the fullest extent possible

More lies and spin from the stalker. I actually have always preferred insourcing where it makes sense, i.e. anything where money is collected, onboard service, and time sensitive jobs where minutes matter i.e. baggage handling, gate agents and line maintenance.

That said, I'm not opposed to outsourcing in certain circumstances, because no one company can do everything well, nor can they be everywhere at the same time.

For certain customer facing functions at the airport it makes perfect sense i.e. skycaps, queue checkers, club attendants, bartenders. None of those things are particularly unique as to how AA does something vs. DL or an international airline. In spoke airports with five or so flights, it probably doesn't make sense to have 10+ employees working split shifts because there are 3+ hours without any flights. In the hubs, do you really need a company employee to haul away trash, pump in the blue juice and dump the crapper?

In the back office, you do you really need your own employees to do repetitive piecework like keypunching invoices, forms or tickets, stuffing envelopes for refund checks or vendor payments, or handling calls to do things like a change of address for a frequent flyer?

Last edited:
"When Wall Street talks, people listen. But perhaps we should listen less and actively question those attitudes more. Take, for example, the recent case of American Airlines.

On April 26, American Airlines (AAL) CEO Doug Parker announced modest pay boosts for his workers. Immediately, stock market analysts blew their gaskets. Several Wall Street analysts accused AAL of excessive consideration to its workforce, depriving investors of their due.

But the spectacle of Wall Street complaining of wage hikes for working people, while rolling in six and seven figure bonuses, is not likely to earn much sympathy. And rightly so."

https://www.aspeninstitute.org/blog-posts/paying-workers-better-shouldnt-bad-news-wall-street/

Blog authors are a bit clueless, in that they allude to AA workers leaving to go work for competitors. Anyone who knows the industry would realize that AA employees aren't going anywhere. They won't start all over at the bottom of the seniority scale, certainly not for a couple bucks an hour at the top of scale.