New Rolls-Royce Service Center Opens In Brazil

If a maintenance facility in GRU does have the potential to hurt AFW, then wouldn't the one in IND hurt even more?

From the article:

Initial investment in the 3,700 square foot facility exceeds US$1 million and Rolls-Royce expects to invest further on expanding capabilities to include service for additional variants of the Trent engine family, including the Trent XWB.

The Brazil facility is the second new On-Wing Care service center to open this year. In February, Rolls-Royce opened an On-Wing Care service center at Singapore's Changi Airport.

To date, Rolls-Royce has six On-Wing Care service centers across the globe, including: London, Hong Kong, Frankfurt and Indianapolis - all of which support the company's civil aerospace fleet of around 4,000 installed engines.

Hurt AFW? A 3,700 square foot facility costing over $1 million? For on-wing engine maintenance? Maybe. :rolleyes:

With all the pencil whipping by TAESL engineers, there ought to be plenty of capacity at AFW. Burned,holed,and cracked high pressure turbine blades out of MM limits. No problem! Just put it on a watch and wait till it blows up. Combustor heatshields with cracks,holes,and bolts missing out of MM limits. No problem! Just leave it on wing until those pieces going down stream take out the H.P.T. and the 05 module. Remember it more cost effective to completely destroy an engine rather than bring it in for overhaul. I just hope no one dies when one of these Rolls-Royce engine's grenades, and the way things are going it is just a matter of time.

If a maintenance facility in GRU does have the potential to hurt AFW, then wouldn't the one in IND hurt even more?

From the article:

Hurt AFW? A 3,700 square foot facility costing over $1 million? For on-wing engine maintenance? Maybe. :rolleyes:

Well, this is how the outsourcing starts. I used to work for GE Aircraft Engines. They went on a shopping spree and bought or started overhaul shops all over the world. Then, finally in 2000, they started diverting all overhaul work, new and current, out of the states to these new shops. Then they started to close the shops here. I recently saw a GE commercial on line profiling the shop in Brazil were they sent my job. Guess what I saw, the tooling that was in the shop I used to work in. Don't say it could never happen.

With all the pencil whipping by TAESL engineers, there ought to be plenty of capacity at AFW. Burned,holed,and cracked high pressure turbine blades out of MM limits. No problem! Just put it on a watch and wait till it blows up. Combustor heatshields with cracks,holes,and bolts missing out of MM limits. No problem! Just leave it on wing until those pieces going down stream take out the H.P.T. and the 05 module. Remember it more cost effective to completely destroy an engine rather than bring it in for overhaul. I just hope no one dies when one of these Rolls-Royce engine's grenades, and the way things are going it is just a matter of time.

If you have direct knowledge of "pencil whipping" you have a legal and moral obligation to report the violations to the appropriate Federal authorities. Also, you should file an ASAP report or you will find yourself in some pretty hot water.

OTOH, if you are not an engineer and I suspect you aren't, then maybe you should consider the fact that maybe your comments could be viewed as slanderous and constitute a "false or misleading statement."

I also doubt that it is more cost effective to completely destroy an engine than bring it in for overhaul, but if you can back the statement up with verifiable evidence that it is cheaper to throw engines away than repair them I'd be more than willing to review the evidence and concede the point.