New Us Air Club Fees

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
New US Air Club Fees Disadvantage Global Travelers

By David Jonas

MARCH 29, 2004 -- US Airways this week will transition to a tiered airport club membership fee structure that charges customers more for reciprocal access to airport clubs operated by partner carriers. US Airways will become only the second U.S. airline to implement a tiered airport club program.

Most other major U.S. carriers that have airport club affiliations with other airlines do not charge extra for access. America West Airlines is the exception. It levies higher fees for those who want access to Northwest Airlines clubs, in addition to its own club locations in Las Vegas and Phoenix.

Article

Jim

Once they join Star, I believe they are prohibited from charging extra for reciprocal rights.

At least DM Gold and CHPR are admitted on a complimentary basis by any Star Allicance Club (correct me if I am wrong).

This is truly one of the most idiotic moves this airline can make. It will alienate customers and send more revenue United's way.

And please don't think I am whining--I have used a UAL club twice in the past 2 years so the change basically hardly affects me.

My best to you all.......

US1s and US2s get reciprocal access only if flying internationally; domestic trips are excluded. PineyBob has explained why this makes sense, and, for once, I agree with his viewpoint. The access as I understand it was costing US more than it was bringing in. For example, I get a free Club membership. I've used UA lounges about 12-15 times over the past year, costing US $120-$150. Even if I had paid for my membership, as a US1 half of the revenue for the membership would have gone to UA to cover the reciprocal lounge access.

Right, US1s and US2s (who will be Star Gold) only can access the lounges on international trips. As to it making sense, well, I certainly dont know overall. I have flown both UA and US a lot and use both clubs. In my case as I saw the prices it would have been $460 for me as a US1 to renew my US Club membership (ive been a comped or paid member for about 8 years I think) with access to United Clubs. On the other hand, for $300 as a UA1K I could join the Red Carpet Club and get access to USAir Clubs. Lemme think.....

By the way, as an AA Plat (mid tier) I can join the Admirals club for $300 also. The higher rate at US seems a bit much.

It isn't such a bad thing in the final analysis. One can join RCC and be in USAir clubs whenever one has a ticket on U. I have a hard time whining about club fees on this site when I have a secure job and work for nice people.

In some sense I think US wants US Club members who use UA lounges often to go ahead and buy a UA Red Carpet membership. From what I understand, going this route will actually save US money.

Back