No Luv For Bush Regime?

kiowa

Advanced
Aug 27, 2002
"Meet the Fockers"

A Washington state woman intends to press a civil-rights case against Southwest Airlines for booting her off a flight in Reno after fellow passengers complained about a message on her T-shirt.

Lorrie Heasley, of Woodland, Wash., was halfway home on a flight Tuesday that began in Los Angeles, wearing a T-shirt with the pictures of President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and a phrase similar to the popular film, Meet the Fockers.

Allen Lichtenstein, lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union in Nevada, said Heasley’s T-shirt is “protectedâ€￾ political speech under the Constitution. The real issue, he said, is that the airline allowed her to wear the shirt onboard and then objected only when people complained.

“That they changed rules in the middle of a flight simply because someone didn’t like it and it might be problematic,â€￾ he said.

Full Story @ usatoday.com

posted by MillerLite! @ 08:06:19

2 Comments | Go to top

kiowa said:
Allen Lichtenstein, lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union in Nevada, said Heasley’s T-shirt is “protectedâ€￾ political speech under the Constitution. The real issue, he said, is that the airline allowed her to wear the shirt onboard and then objected only when people complained.
[post="309410"][/post]​

The question will be whether or not the shirt actually caused a disturbance. Being in bad taste is permitted. Inciting disruptive behavior is another.

I'll withold judgement until the whole story is revealed.

kiowa said:
"Meet the Fockers"

A Washington state woman intends to press a civil-rights case against Southwest Airlines for booting her off a flight in Reno after fellow passengers complained about a message on her T-shirt.

Lorrie Heasley, of Woodland, Wash., was halfway home on a flight Tuesday that began in Los Angeles, wearing a T-shirt with the pictures of President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and a phrase similar to the popular film, Meet the Fockers.

“That they changed rules in the middle of a flight simply because someone didn’t like it and it might be problematic,â€￾ he said.

Full Story @ usatoday.com
posted by MillerLite! @ 08:06:19

2 Comments | Go to top
[post="309410"][/post]​

That is BS that she got thrown off the aircraft and the company should reimberse her any expenses she occured and write it off as a misunderstanding.

As far as "Protected Polictial Speech". Being inside an aircraft is not a public space it would be similar as to being inside of a Target, Sears, or other places of business.

If you are wearing something offensive to other people an it is causing disruption in your place of business you have every right to toss the person out, or off in this case.

I was in a K-Mart/Sears the other day. A woman with a child was walking through the isles with a t-shirt that said I like to F**K, in big letters. This woman was completely stupid for doing this, she had a child with her, what message does that send?

The t-shirt thing on the plane, although I can't stand our present Presidential administration, was wrong in a public setting. A plane is a public setting because tickets have been sold to the public.

Where do you draw the line? People have the right to free speech but when does it turn offensive?

I think as a whole we need to use little better judgement about what we wear and say in public places, however at a party, in your own environment arround your family and freinds do what you want.

Ok, let me get this straight then. THIS t-shirt would be inappropriate, right?

sample_jerk.jpg
:up:

it works for me - the shirt I mean, not the bush regime. they only work for themselves. :rolleyes:

Ch. 12 said:
[post="309479"][/post]​

There are no obscene words or inappropriate phrases on the "jerk" t-shirt.

I believe a picture of the lady's shirt was shown on the USA Today's website the first time I looked at the article but was later removed. Perhaps this was done to keep people from seeing how offensive it was thus making it easier for them to promote the "victim" status of the individual.

Edited to remove attachment. I didn't expect the photo to show up directly in this message. Instead, I intended to have those who wished to view the item make the concious decision to do so. I apologize to anyone who was blindsided by the photo and may have been offended.

To this end, I have located a "censored" version on the CNN website:

Link to Photo of shirt in question

corl737 said:
There are no obscene words or inappropriate phrases on the "jerk" t-shirt.

A picture of the lady's shirt was shown on the USA Today's website the first time I looked at the article but was later removed. Perhaps this was done to keep people from seeing how offensive it was thus making it easier for them to promote the "victim" status of the individual.

(I couldn't locate the original shirt but the attachment is a similar design.)
[post="309505"][/post]​

If the shirt is okay to wear in public why doesn't CNN show it without the F word blocked out.
I'm sorry but there are some thing in life that are just wrong, wearing a shirt like this in public with children and offense others to see it is WRONG.
It isn't political, it is vulgar.
Kudos to LUV for giving her the boot, I wouldn't have let her on my airplane to begin with.

Fly said:
Ohhhhhh, ok, I get it. You mean t-shirts like THIS:

IMG_0757_dumbmocracy_anti-bush_no_faith_gothic_punk_clothes_t_shirts.jpg
[post="309524"][/post]​

Naw, that's ok. If the phrase requires the reader to interpret the message then it doesn't qualify as blatantly obscene. When it's clearly spelled out, that's different.

ahhh, ok, I get it. "Blatant" totally spells it out, right? Ok, so how about this tee to encourage breast exams? :up: Think the lady wearing this should get booted too?

tank_fullimage.jpg

Fly said:
ahhh, ok, I get it. "Blatant" totally spells it out, right? Ok, so how about this tee to encourage breast exams? :up: Think the lady wearing this should get booted too?
tank_fullimage.jpg

[post="309541"][/post]​

Hmmmm....

boo·by1 n. pl. boo·bies
1. A person regarded as stupid.
2. Any of several tropical sea birds of the genus Sula, resembling and related to the gannets.

I don't see anything offensive in this shirt's message. That you believe it has to do with women's breasts is an interesting look into your psyche! :D

Let's get real here. I'll be the first to defend freedom of speech. SWA doesn't like bumping revenue off its flights any more than any other airline. There has to be a lot more behind this story than the headlines and 10-second sound bites let on. Stay tuned, this is gonna be interesting.