No Raid: CWA-IBT Passenger Service Association

Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Given the IBT’s involvement in the association is the entire bargaining unit covered under the AFL-CIO No Raid (no accountability) clause? If an AFL-CIO affiliate wanted to take it on and assume representation of the whole craft, would it result in increased dues for the AFL? In this case could the AFL-CIO allow this?

Given all the outsourcing for bag rooms and the CARs doing increased work at LAA cities I wonder if the membership would consider getting better representation or becoming unorganized again.

Josh

Given the IBT’s involvement in the association is the entire bargaining unit covered under the AFL-CIO No Raid clause? If an AFL-CIO affiliate wanted to take it on and assume representation of the whole craft, would it result in increased dues for the AFL? In this case could the AFL-CIO allow this?

Given all the outsourcing for bag rooms and the CARs doing increased work at LAA cities I wonder if the membership would consider getting better representation or becoming unorganized again.

Actually putting aside your consistent agenda I’ll tackle this one cause it is interesting to a degree.

That’s a good question on the IBT. While they aren’t obligated to anything involving the AFL/CIO my guess is as a professional courtesy they would not support a raid or card collection among the IAM/TWU Association. Certainly they aren’t infringing on the CWA side of the fence.

Anyway that’s my guess and an interesting question I have to admit.

As far as outsourcing of Bagroom’s I’m not sure what you’re talking about unless you are referring to BSO? (Baggage Service Operations)

Actually LAA has added jobs here in MIA since the ouster of the Red Coats. There are now 4 Counters of Unionized Ticket Agents where prior it was down to one. Agents are the guides looking at tickets before TSA and Agents are at the Self Serve kiosks as well.

Even at the Gates now it’s been a mix of Agents and Eulen throwing down chute bags. Prior it was only Eulen. Eulen is still doing Wheelchairs though.

I’m wondering personally why those jobs aren’t AA CARS yet but I’ve heard rumors that AA is canceling the Eulen contracts?

Actually putting aside your consistent agenda I’ll tackle this one cause it is interesting to a degree.

That’s a good question on the IBT. While they aren’t obligated to anything involving the AFL/CIO my guess is as a professional courtesy they would not support a raid or card collection among the IAM/TWU Association. Certainly they aren’t infringing on the CWA side of the fence.

Anyway that’s my guess and an interesting question I have to admit.

As far as outsourcing of Bagroom’s I’m not sure what you’re talking about unless you are referring to BSO? (Baggage Service Operations)

Actually LAA has added jobs here in MIA since the ouster of the Red Coats. There are now 4 Counters of Unionized Ticket Agents where prior it was down to one. Agents are the guides looking at tickets before TSA and Agents are at the Self Serve kiosks as well.

Even at the Gates now it’s been a mix of Agents and Eulen throwing down chute bags. Prior it was only Eulen. Eulen is still doing Wheelchairs though.

I’m wondering personally why those jobs aren’t AA CARS yet but I’ve heard rumors that AA is canceling the Eulen contracts?

There is likely agreement in place with the IBT and SEIU as I understand it.

The IAM made proposals at the AFL-CIO 2013 convention in L.A. advocating that privileges of membership shouldn’t be extended to non-members. (I believe the literature they distributed was something to the effect of “no right to work within the AFL-CIO”.

But if that were the case why did the IBT solicit cards and trigger an election against the IAM for LUS mechanics and related in 2013? Or at AA (but no election)?

Josh

Weez why did the TWU not try organizing the agents all this time? The standalone CWA was defeated twice, but the association got in after USAIR.

I’m surprised the IAM walked away after TWA. That only served as proof the unorganized nAAtive agents came out ahead getting full DOH while the IAM TW got 4/10/01 staple date.

Josh

Weez why did the TWU not try organizing the agents all this time? The standalone CWA was defeated twice, but the association got in after USAIR.

Who knows if in the history of the TWU at AA if they ever did try to organize the PSA or not? Have to assume in 70 years that they have?

Why did the IAM walk away from the TWA agents rather than try to organize the combined group?

As it is the unorganized LAA agents prevailed over the IAM with “clout” and “top notch legal and industry experts”. The agents weren’t covered under Kasher, everywhere except COS/Colorado Springs is 4/10/01 staple job.

Josh

Why did the IAM walk away from the TWA agents rather than try to organize the combined group?

As it is the unorganized LAA agents prevailed over the IAM with “clout” and “top notch legal and industry experts”. The agents weren’t covered under Kasher, everywhere except COS/Colorado Springs is 4/10/01 staple job.

What’s the point? Anyway.

As far as 17 years ago go’s now (Can you really believe how obsessed you are with events that long ago) from how I understand it the Don Carty Management team made all organized TWA Unions give up any Labor Protection Provisions they had in their Contracts or they weren’t going to move forward with the deal to buy the Airline.

Actually the IAM was brilliant in frightening the then TWU Leadership into having the decision be made by an Arbitrator rather than letting it go to Court as the APA And APFA let it go.

Don’t know the story of PSA back in 2001. Was the TWA PSA Group organized?