Non Rev policies after merger?

I never said that anyones commute is more important than your vacation, nor did it state the opposite. I responded to your cold remark about the move or quit position that you took on the subject. Unless you are, or have been in that position you can't relate. In case you haven't noticed, decent jobs are hard to come by today. The fact is NOBODY wants to commute, but in some cases they must to surive and support their families. FWIW, I'm in favor of going by DOH seniority for travel, as it is a cut and dry issue with no doubts as to who MAY have checked in sooner. I for one can't see 30 people all sitting at their computer 24 hours in advance waiting to pounce on their check in spot as if they were waiting to purchase concert tickets. As I'm sure you are aware that the internet and/or computers can go down at any given time, and in that case you or I could be SOL on the list.

I did notice that airline jobs are not so decent anymore. They were at one time , not anymore.

Good for you, but please remember that not everyone has that option. Age is a big factor when it comes to a career change. In todays environment many people are stuck with their homes due to the collapse of the market.

Good for you, but please remember that not everyone has that option. Age is a big factor when it comes to a career change. In todays environment many people are stuck with their homes due to the collapse of the market.
No disrespect is intended. I can understand apprehension to leave a job. I know what it is like to be old and look for work because I am old. I know what it is like to not be able to move because my wife's health requires I stay put. I made a choice to leave because I did not see anything getting better at Usairways. I was sick and tired and embarrased of saying "I'm sorry" to all of our passengers. I took a leap of faith and have not regretted it.

Reactions: 3 people
Organizational policies are not really about what should be, but what IS, and commuting is a fact of life at USairways East. For the same reason that companies monitor construction and traffic patterns that provide barriers to workers arriving on time, US needs a policy that will lead to as little disruption as possible to their bottom line.

At present, if you have a junior employee who insists on commuting and has dependability events due to commuting, IMHO, it's pretty cut and dried. If it's a senior employee, what are they doing? Do they have back ups? At the end of the day, commuting is a choice, however I don't think that anyone cannot recognize the inordinate amount of base closures that have happened at US and the inevitable consequences. Having said that, from an observer point of view, the system seems to work as it is and most commuters are responsible, but there is built in predictability.

Change to FCFS, and you throw a whole new variable into employee dependability. That said, if FCFS does prevail, at the very least I would like to see free nonrev travel prevail versus the system American has.

Reactions: 2 people
No disrespect is intended. I can understand apprehension to leave a job. I know what it is like to be old and look for work because I am old. I know what it is like to not be able to move because my wife's health requires I stay put. I made a choice to leave because I did not see anything getting better at Usairways. I was sick and tired and embarrased of saying "I'm sorry" to all of our passengers. I took a leap of faith and have not regretted it.

Thanks, well put and no offense taken.

The one question no one asked, which I'm sure AA'ers would love to adopt US policy is.....

Do parents have unlimited flight benefits with US or do they deduct from your buddy pass bank like AA does?

AA does have boarding priority for parents, but who wants to use their buddy passes for your folks. Make it unlimited like the employees with the lower priority!

Parent Service Charge Fees
Updated July 2, 2010

An employee’s parents as maintained in the employee’s Travel Profile on
the Employee Travel Center are eligible to use unlimited space available
service charge travel at a priority of SA4P as follows:

• $25 per direction for domestic routes plus segment & security fees.
Domestic Routes include Canada, Mexico, Central America and the
Caribbean.
• $70 per direction for Hawaii, Europe, South American & the Middle
East plus segment & security fees plus all applicable international
taxes.

If we could adopt this parent policy, and keep our same number of buddy passes, I'd be thrilled!

Don't know why they wouldn't. The company gets s few bucks for a seat that would have gone empty otherwise.
The way many of these flts fill up at the last minute, its not worth the headache at times. It's bad enough playing travel agent for your buddy pass riders when they travel.

Yeah it is and so is telling me my vacation is less important than their commute. Look, working for the airlines is fun but it is not easy. People have to make choices on whether to keep their job and commute or quit. The purpose of pass priveleges is not just to get you to work. There are other jobs besides airline jobs.

If you can make the argument to not commute, couldn't I say that you could also make a different choice to vacation? There are other places to vacation aside from those locations that require an airline to get there.

With AA if your fast on the computer you can be first on the list, once your on the list you know no one senior can walk up at the last minute and bump you. I kinda prefer it, but my partner flies for United, which is seniority based and i we usually get business or first even tho he is not that senior. We just go thru ORD if IAD is full and vice versa. A little flexibility goes a long way. It doesn't seem that the senior employees travel as much as you would think. If I had a choice I like AAs system a little better.

I bet it will be some of both, however a big part of it might be technology related. Depending on which systems survive and how flexible they are may very well drive Non Rev policies.

Parent Service Charge Fees
Updated July 2, 2010

An employee’s parents as maintained in the employee’s Travel Profile on
the Employee Travel Center are eligible to use unlimited space available
service charge travel at a priority of SA4P as follows:

• $25 per direction for domestic routes plus segment & security fees.
Domestic Routes include Canada, Mexico, Central America and the
Caribbean.
• $70 per direction for Hawaii, Europe, South American & the Middle
East plus segment & security fees plus all applicable international
taxes.

In addition to the above, each employee is given three SA1P passes per year which is a higher boarding priority....but it also allows your parents to travel with you free of charge. So parents can travel free 3 times per year.

Hearsay alert! Hearsay alert!

I was discussing this issue with a pilot here at AA day before yesterday. He said that it was his understanding that policies and procedures in the "new" AA will be old AA policies and procedures. Other than the first come-first served boarding (which is a boon to us junior folk), US people will lose a lot in the non-rev travel department if what he heard is true.

That Pilot doesn't know squat, most all things will be reviewed, new decesions will be, most upper managment will be US Airways, expect a lot of changes. Now I will agree American employees will win a lot of the (How we do things) battle becuase of numbers alone and not best practices or most effiecent system.

Reactions: 1 person