NRTP Log-on For Guests

Justme

Veteran
Feb 29, 2004
Is it possible to assign a guest a limited log-on to NRTP that enables them to list for D3 passes?  The LUS Employee Travel Center had this feature and it was helpful for me.

thanks!

I don't belive so either. that and the ability for the guest to pay their own way will certianly be features on the new system (I hope).

American has always been very concerned with computer security breaches.  It is a violation of corporate computer security to give your logon information (id and password) to anyone--including your spouse.  And, yes I know lots of people do it.  Lots of people exceed the speed limit on the freeway also.  If you get caught speeding, there are consequences--that start with an expensive ticket.  If caught giving your logon information to someone else, the list of  possible consequences includes termination.

How do people get caught?  Well, it's a very simple programming chore to track logon on times and location--especially for pilots and flight attendants.  If you are making reservations on the NRTP system for Aunt Beulah to go to Des Moines while the computer says you are supposed to be working at 35,000 feet, the assumption is that someone beside you is making those reservations while logged on to your id.  Same thing if you are a commuter and you are checking in for your flight home tomorrow while you are at 35,000, maybe your husband/wife is checking you in 24 hours in advance when you are busy at 35,000 feet.  (That in itself is also a violation of the NRTP policy.)

No, I'm not interested in debating the right or wrong of AA's policy--computer, NRTP or whatever.  It is what it is.  When I was at Texaco (1979 to 1995), they had the same computer security policy--you give your logonid and password to NO ONE.  I don't care how you did it at US Airways or America West.  You work for American Airlines now.  And, let's all remember that in business the golden rule is "He who has the gold, makes the rules."   :lol:

Reactions: 3 people
Jim, the LUS Employee Travel Center, an employee could establish an account for a family member or guest. They had their own log on information and could list, pay for, and check in for their flights (I think we could check in on ETC) up to the number of guest passes that you assigned to their "account".

I agree with upnaway that it would be great to have that feature on the new travel site.

Here's a trivia question...

I list as D1 for the following flights (on a single listing):

Sep 15     CLT-DEN
Sep 17     DEN-DFW
Sep 25     DFW-PHL
Sep 29     PHL-CLT
Oct 1        CLT-MIA

If I fly that exact routing on the dates shown, using the original listing, how many D1 passes will be charged to me?

Yea Jim, as Justme said. It wan't our password but their own. You registered guest just like on NRPT and then you assigned them how ever many quest passes. I had two epeople I gave them too, each year. They learned all the rules, I read them the riot act about behavior and then I never did anything else again. Sometimes I wasn't even aware they were traveling. It was great not having to play travel agent, and banker for nonrevs guest like in the old days. And I don't miss those calls about what do the flights look like, they can see them themselves...It was really very good.

Justme said:
Jim, the LUS Employee Travel Center, an employee could establish an account for a family member or guest. They had their own log on information and could list, pay for, and check in for their flights (I think we could check in on ETC) up to the number of guest passes that you assigned to their "account".

I agree with upnaway that it would be great to have that feature on the new travel site.

Here's a trivia question...

I list as D1 for the following flights (on a single listing):

Sep 15     CLT-DEN
Sep 17     DEN-DFW
Sep 25     DFW-PHL
Sep 29     PHL-CLT
Oct 1        CLT-MIA

If I fly that exact routing on the dates shown, using the original listing, how many D1 passes will be charged to me?
interesting question, but would say 3.  Sept 15-29 is the 14 day window however you started and finished in CLT in that window so that is 2 and Oct 1 is in a new 14 day window so that is another pass.  Using 2 listings, would bring it down to only 2 D1 passes

Ok, I'm trying to think AA here (which is always dangerous because you must not use logic).  In theory that would be only 2 D1s because you returned to your starting point on 9/29 which would "terminate" the first D1.  The CLT-MIA  leg would be another D1.  However, I don't think the system allows "open jaw" flying--Fly Point A to Point B and layover for a day or two--unless it was a case of you were flying to DEN to connect to an AE flight up into the mountains to go skiing, and you got to DEN to discover that all AE flights to your destination were now overbooked for the next 2 days.

If this is hypothetical, and you are just trying to find another place where you think USAirways' system is/was superior to AA's sytem, I would say that you need to get out more. The system you now use is AA's.  And, I don't care how much better the old system used to be.  We used to run the DFW-LAX route with a wagon train, but times change.

If you are seriously considering this itinerary, I strongly recommend that you submit this example and your question to [email protected].  If their response is it takes 2 D1s, I would print out that response and keep it with me the entire trip.  Some gate agent or other non-rev somewhere on that trip is going to object to you going ahead of them in the standby line.  (Just looking at it on the surface if it is one D1 for 9/15-9/29 flying, the 17th, 25th and 29th legs would all be D1Ts)  If the system decides to charge you with 5 D1s, you are in trouble.  The system does not prevent you from booking more D1 legs than your annual allotment allows.  However, if you book more than 4 D1s the system will kick out a violation notice to the powers that be.  Punishment can go from temporarily suspending your travel privileges (which would include your family and friends' travel) up to and including termination.

I know it's at least 2 because you can not return to your original starting point and continue on somewhere else on the same D1, D2, or D3.

UPNAWAY said:
Yea Jim, as Justme said. It wan't our password but their own. You registered guest just like on NRPT and then you assigned them how ever many quest passes. I had two epeople I gave them too, each year. They learned all the rules, I read them the riot act about behavior and then I never did anything else again. Sometimes I wasn't even aware they were traveling. It was great not having to play travel agent, and banker for nonrevs guest like in the old days. And I don't miss those calls about what do the flights look like, they can see them themselves...It was really very good.
I'm not trying to be snarky, but even if the LUS system used to give a free massage with every booking, it's not the system that you are going to be using from here on out.  I totally agree that allowing one of your travelers to book their own travel and pay for it themselves is better than my having to sit at the computer and point out that there are 5 flights a day to their destination, now which one do you want?  What day do you want to come back? No, I won't know exactly how much it costs until they subtract the fees from my paycheck.  But, that's not the way the system works right now.

Who knows?  Over time, the AA NRTP system may end up looking very much like the LUS system, but I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon.  The employee NRTP is probably the last thing they are going to dedicate programming resources (especially money) to doing major changes in the existing system.

Reactions: 2 people
My scenario was based on stumbling across this:

Each one-way pass is valid for a maximum of four nonstop segments in a 14-day period. Once a vacation or guest pass traveler begins a fifth segment or travels after the fourteenth day since the one-way trip commenced, a second one-way trip automatically begins and is deducted from your pass bank. In addition, if the traveler returns to his or her origin city or to a city within 100 miles of their origin city, a second one-way trip is deducted, and any further travel from the origin city will begin a new one-way.
An additional pass will be deducted for any one of the following reasons:
  • Commence travel on 5th flight segment
  • Return to origination or within 100 miles
  • Commence travel on the 15th day
I'd never seen it before  and didn't know that you could stretch out a D1 listing for 15 days. Jim, as for the routing I was just picking random places that obviously were LUS routes, I guess it's just how my brain works. Using something like DFW-MSP at this point would be like trying to brush my teeth with my left hand. 

I get what Jim and Hope777 are getting at, and I agree that it would be 3 if flown as shown. The PHL-CLT would generate a new D1 because both day 15 and also return to origin. And then an additional D1 for the next leg.

Jim, don't we get 6 D1s??? But I also get what you're saying there.

Shows how much I know.  I thought we only got 4 D1s.  That's all we've ever gotten in the past of my vast almost 15 year career.  And, since I no longer commute, I don't pay a lot of attention to non-rev emails, etc.  When my wife was alive, we were on every continent except Antarctica (long before I became a flight attendant).  So, I took this job for the travel benefits, and discovered quickly that when you work on airplanes all day, the last thing you want to do on your day off is get on one.  :lol:

P.S.  Be interested in knowing why I got the negative vote for stating the truth.  It's all well and good to bemoan the loss of the good old days (formerly known as these trying times in which we live), but it doesn't change the present.

Reactions: 1 person