NW Flight Cancellations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess NWA should have kept some of the Contract Houses around to take care of their aircraft.

Are you saying that your scab bretheren are not getting the job done now? Aren't these the same scabs that you claimed "performed miracles" to help NWA get back to "normal" after the start of the strike?

The fact is, NW should have kept its honorable mechanics around to take care of their aircraft...

On the bright side, NWA is getting all this publicity due to the cancelled flights. Free. :down: :down: :down: For example, yesterday while passing through DTW I could not fail to notice that the NWA cancellations were front page news. Huge headline(s), etc. (I can't remember if it was the Detroit Free Press or the Detroit News). It's so nice for the NWA passengers to see this while travelling through the DTW world gateway (which BTW is an awesome terminal - but I digress). :up: :up: :up:

please hire some pilots-you guys are killin us here in STL with NWA bags!

JJ--

We're gettin' killed dealing our own (nwa) stuff here as well. I'm pretty sure I when I close my eyes, I see reroute tags... :lol:

Anyway, FWIW, all airport ops employees who worked Friday,Saturday, or Sunday will be receiving $50.00-tax free- for each day worked from the company.

I didn't get to read the paper about the "cancellations" this time, but now its attributed to "sick time" (I guess...that is what the passengers are saying). It is coincidental that pilots get sick towards the end of the month.....must be the moon.

I didn't get to read the paper about the "cancellations" this time, but now its attributed to "sick time" (I guess...that is what the passengers are saying). It is coincidental that pilots get sick towards the end of the month.....must be the moon.

I'm sure Finman has a spreadsheet and chart to back up the moon theory.
Idea.gif

No, you're just an arse without much sense.

Pilots at SWA fly trips that are 1, 2, 3, or 4 days long. Each day averages about 6 hours of flying. Better lines average up to 7. Hence, in 14-15 days, a SWA pilot can fly 90-100 hours.

From recent conversations on the jumpseat, it seems that NWA pilots start trips that are 3 days long that pay 15 and are forced to extend to five day trips that pay 25. NWA pilots have to work 19-20 days to do what SWA pilots do in 14-15.

As for signing up to be a pilot--you bet we did--to work 10-12 days a month for 200-300K per year. Now NWA management wants pilots to work 20 days a month for 120K-200K per year and wonders why the pilots don't just do it. The pilot's grass seems greener to you--but brown and sparse to the pilots themselves. It'll take a lot longer and more than a chump like you to change their/our expectations.

Oh, by the way, after flying about 90 hours in a month, it's time to call it quits and head home to relax. If you have 15 days off--no problem. I don't see how a pilot with only 10 days off could do it though. I'd burn out in a hurry. I totally understand the NWA pilots using the "F" (Fatigue) word and increase in sick calls.
I am totally with you guys and think Finman is an idiot, that being said you guys need to quit the whining, you were the ones who decided to walk past the mechanics on strike and accept the contracts, they had the balls as for you guys.......

Jenny, I assume you must know better than that.

Reserve pilots cover for the pilots that call in sick. During the beginning and middle of the month, the reserves cover the sick calls, so there is no impact on operations. When the sick calls are much higher than expected, the reserves get used up prior to the end of the month, and thus the cancellations occur at the end of the month. I.E, behaviour that is persistant throughout the month does not cause operational problems until the end of the bid month.

Jenny, I assume you must know better than that.

Reserve pilots cover for the pilots that call in sick. During the beginning and middle of the month, the reserves cover the sick calls, so there is no impact on operations. When the sick calls are much higher than expected, the reserves get used up prior to the end of the month, and thus the cancellations occur at the end of the month. I.E, behaviour that is persistant throughout the month does not cause operational problems until the end of the bid month.
Reserve pilots? Thought with that new system you don't have any. Pilots are being yanked from trips all over the place. Can't wait until December rolls around. What's their new plan? Duck and hide when a plane crashes into bldg A? Can you suggest to them that we need parachutes for the crew? Thanks.

Reserve pilots? Thought with that new system you don't have any. Pilots are being yanked from trips all over the place. Can't wait until December rolls around. What's their new plan? Duck and hide when a plane crashes into bldg A? Can you suggest to them that we need parachutes for the crew? Thanks.
Yeah, they staff about 550. Not sure why you think they would go away. A certain level of sick calls and other short term abscences are expected, and you need reserves to cover those. Not sure what you mean by the rest of your post.

Yeah, they staff about 550. Not sure why you think they would go away. A certain level of sick calls and other short term abscences are expected, and you need reserves to cover those. Not sure what you mean by the rest of your post.
So, Mr. Finman. How were the numbers the end of August. Didn't seem like many cancellations.
A... Did the weather improve?
B... Did the company hire more pilots that were put into service?
C... Or did the Company get their heads out of the sand and finally start scheduling properly?

Now remember you insisted it was sick calls.

So, Mr. Finman. How were the numbers the end of August. Didn't seem like many cancellations.
A... Did the weather improve?
B... Did the company hire more pilots that were put into service?
C... Or did the Company get their heads out of the sand and finally start scheduling properly?

Now remember you insisted it was sick calls.
A. Weather was never the issue
B. Not many; only about 30 can be added to flying roles every month
C. The schedule was cut just in case sick calls persisted at the levels of the previous two months. The previous level could have been flown, but only under normal sick unavailability, not during a work action.

Yes, I did, not sure what you're point is. Sick calls are down significantly compared to previous two months. The contract givebacks helped to ease relations and cease the unofficial work action of the previous two months. This should not be a surprise. The pilots won a small victory with their work action, and things are now back to "normal". There's no other way to look at it.

Finny you just don't get it. There is no and never was a work action. Even Dougie went on the Today show and eventually admitted the company screwed up. He did however tell a bald face lie when he said that they never blamed it on the pilots (as you continue to do).

Status
Not open for further replies.