NW Flight Cancellations

Status
Not open for further replies.
A. Weather was never the issue
B. Not many; only about 30 can be added to flying roles every month
C. The schedule was cut just in case sick calls persisted at the levels of the previous two months. The previous level could have been flown, but only under normal sick unavailability, not during a work action.

Yes, I did, not sure what you're point is. Sick calls are down significantly compared to previous two months. The contract givebacks helped to ease relations and cease the unofficial work action of the previous two months. This should not be a surprise. The pilots won a small victory with their work action, and things are now back to "normal". There's no other way to look at it.
Are you NW's governmental rep, name looks awful familiar?

Quote:
Northwest Airlines yesterday achieved a new performance record when it completed a fourth consecutive day with a 100% completion factor for the passenger system.
The completion of all scheduled flights from Sunday through Wednesday of this week follows a successful August that included a pair of back-to-back perfect days, and a full month completion factor of 99.2%. NWA’s performance so far this month is 99.9%.

The previous record of three consecutive perfect days had only been reported twice since 1995, when we started keeping our most recent set of performance data.

Yesterday’s 100% is also the ninth so far this year, and puts on track to match, if not beat, the 10 perfect days achieved in 2005. NWA reported six 100% days last year.
Good job NW! What a turnaround from the last couple of months! :up:

Unfortunately, there's not much NWA can do if the pilots want to continue with their excessive sick usage. NWA had it's chance during BK to put some significant disincentives into the contract, but ALPA chose to give away other work rules and wages in favor of keeping sick pay paid at nearly 100%. Naturally, this is the reason why, since sick-outs are such a valuable tool in times like these. If sick were paid at 75%, as it was in the original ask and the 1113E rules, there would be much fewer guys willing to take the pay hit.
How do you have so much time on your hands :shock:

He/she is just head of NWA anti union propaganda.

He/she has a pretty easy job with the IAM/AFA to contend with. After all, the IAM is handing out NWA stuff at the Minnesota State Fair! Priceless! :lol:
No someone should check this out....I know I new that name and it seems that she hasn't responded. She is the liason between NWA and the govt affairs.....Dam i knew it :lol: By the way the IAM are a bunch of scabs :down:

No someone should check this out.... She is the liason between NWA and the govt affairs.....

So you're saying that "Finman" is a shortened version of "Fischer-Newman?"

I doubt it.

Based on the job titles he's held before, I just assumed it was a short version of "Finance-man."

So you're saying that "Finman" is a shortened version of "Fischer-Newman?"

I doubt it.

Based on the job titles he's held before, I just assumed it was a short version of "Finance-man."
Yeah, you would be correct Kev. I didn't think Brown was serious, otherwise I would have responded to it. Sometimes it's hard to detect sarcasm (or seriousness for that matter) in the written word.

(bump)

Pilot issues cost NWA $50 million. Company admits work rules at fault.

From the article (bold print is my own handiwork):

"Northwest Airlines Corp. already has estimated its cancellation woes earlier in the summer cost it $50 million, but it's still too soon to know if the issues will mean fewer people on its jets, an industry professional said."

"Airline executives initially blamed the cancellations on weather and pilot absenteeism. They now say a work rules agreement with pilots that exhausted some of them and used up their available flight hours before the end of the month is at fault. Northwest agreed to a reduced schedule, cut pilot flight hours and is offering them overtime and bonuses in addition to bringing back furloughed pilots and hiring new ones."

(bump)
Pilot issues cost NWA $50 million. Company admits work rules at fault.
From the article (bold print is my own handiwork):

"Northwest Airlines Corp. already has estimated its cancellation woes earlier in the summer cost it $50 million, but it's still too soon to know if the issues will mean fewer people on its jets, an industry professional said."

"Airline executives initially blamed the cancellations on weather and pilot absenteeism. They now say a work rules agreement with pilots that exhausted some of them and used up their available flight hours before the end of the month is at fault. Northwest agreed to a reduced schedule, cut pilot flight hours and is offering them overtime and bonuses in addition to bringing back furloughed pilots and hiring new ones."
no....

If it is a concerted offort to send a message. Another thread has NWA "boasting" of hiring up to 300 new pilots. Why? To cover the things we are talking about in this thread...Fatigue, stafing levels, stupid management decisions, sick time increases. Take your pick but the message to management iis getting through. Hire more pilots to handle your airline.

Fin,

I've flown with several crews over the past few months...nothing with regards to sick abuse or sabotage. It's really just a staffing issue, most pilots are at the monthly max of 88 hrs, flexed up to 90 hrs. Pilots are fatigue and not willing to fly high time. In the past pilots would fly high time with a better QOL schedule. Now pilots fly the max and go home for the very few days that they have off each month. NWA-ALPA has nothing to do with this problem, they actually warned the company months ago that this very thing would happen unless they increased pilot staffing.

If it is a concerted offort to send a message. Another thread has NWA "boasting" of hiring up to 300 new pilots. Why? To cover the things we are talking about in this thread...Fatigue, stafing levels, stupid management decisions, sick time increases. Take your pick but the message to management iis getting through. Hire more pilots to handle your airline.
The new hires were in the staffing plan long before this happened. NWA can only bring on 25-30 new pilots per month with the training capacity limitations, and they've been bringing guys back at that level since the beginning of the year. The only way to make up for the increased unavailibilities was to reduce the schedule, as was done for the end of the summer schedule. The new hire announcement was more of a PR move to say "look what we're doing to fix this", even though the previous staffing plans already had those new hires built into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.