NWA Pilot Strike?

PlayTheOdds

Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Contract and the South
Visit site
NWA wants to start a new subsidiary that will operate its 100 seat and less flights. This new company will result in the loss of 1000 unionized NWA pilot jobs. Pilots that are laid off can apply for a position at the new company but their previous employment with NWA will not have any impact on whether or not they get hired. If they do get hired they will not retain any of their seniority from their previous employment with NWA. The pilots are talking of striking if this issue is not resolved by Jan. 17th.

Will the pilots strike over this? Will NWA let this go as far as a strike? Is NWA pushing for a pilot strike?

There was a rumor going around in Arizona, that I could never validate, that NWA was training pilots in Mexico. Could they have been preparing for such a strike after all?

I think it was Hackman that said that the next two months would be very interesting at NWA. I suppose he was right. I think the reason was because it was lean time for the aviation industry, I wonder if the timing for this proposed pilot strike is just coincidence.

hmmm, this sorta sounds like an even stinkier version of MidAtlantic Airways. We all remember how well that worked out for everyone involved, don't we?

Not good.

Dea

Not going to happen. NWA-ALPA is one of the most united pilot groups in the industry. The red-tail pilots are almost borderline militant. IMHO they will shut it down if Doug pulls this stunt. Give me a break, training Pilots in Mexico??? ALPA national would have had info on that little rumour, if true. Most qualified pilots in the industry would have known by now regarding any type of sim training taking place. They would have launched a massive 'pilot hiring drive' like they did with the A&P people. Thousands of A&P's received a card in the mail for a 'MSP based airline' in need of A&P's.

The pilots are talking about walking out NOW?

I'd like to ask them a question: why should anyone support you?

Why should ANYONE support you're picket lines?

Where were YOU on August 20th, when another group asked you for support?

You walk around carrying signs saying, "Isn't 39% Enough?"

Well obviously not.

"We're fighting for Aviation Security!"

HA!

What union was it that said if other groups don't support them, NWA will declare bankruptcy and screw you to the wall?

Oh, that's right, AMFA.

But don't worry. As a guy I met on the picket lines once said, "Still out here! We got yer backs!"

NWA wants to start a new subsidiary that will operate its 100 seat and less flights. This new company will result in the loss of 1000 unionized NWA pilot jobs. Pilots that are laid off can apply for a position at the new company but their previous employment with NWA will not have any impact on whether or not they get hired. If they do get hired they will not retain any of their seniority from their previous employment with NWA. The pilots are talking of striking if this issue is not resolved by Jan. 17th.

Will the pilots strike over this? Will NWA let this go as far as a strike? Is NWA pushing for a pilot strike?

There was a rumor going around in Arizona, that I could never validate, that NWA was training pilots in Mexico. Could they have been preparing for such a strike after all?

I think it was Hackman that said that the next two months would be very interesting at NWA. I suppose he was right. I think the reason was because it was lean time for the aviation industry, I wonder if the timing for this proposed pilot strike is just coincidence.

Hate to stop your ranting with the facts, but no agreement has been reached one way or the other on "NEWCO" or how it will be manned, and NO, the pilots are not talking about striking if this issue isn't resolved by the 17th. And NO
there has been nothing said about losing your seniority at
Northwest if you are a furloughed pilot and are hired by NEWCO and no, no , no ... well you get the point.

In the words of mythbusters....MYTH BUSTED.

Hate to stop your ranting with the facts, but no agreement has been reached one way or the other on "NEWCO" or how it will be manned, and NO, the pilots are not talking about striking if this issue isn't resolved by the 17th. And NO
there has been nothing said about losing your seniority at
Northwest if you are a furloughed pilot and are hired by NEWCO and no, no , no ... well you get the point.

In the words of mythbusters....MYTH BUSTED.

Really, you know the name of the company. Did you read In the Loop? It covered everything I said.

The pilots are talking about walking out NOW?
I'd like to ask them a question: why should anyone support you?
Why should ANYONE support you're picket lines?
Where were YOU on August 20th, when another group asked you for support?
You walk around carrying signs saying, "Isn't 39% Enough?"
Well obviously not.
"We're fighting for Aviation Security!"
HA!
What union was it that said if other groups don't support them, NWA will declare bankruptcy and screw you to the wall?
Oh, that's right, AMFA.
But don't worry. As a guy I met on the picket lines once said, "Still out here! We got yer backs!"
If the pilots strike, the airline will be shut down. They can do it without any support from any of the other unions. And yes, they do know that it could very well result in the end of NWA.

It's all saber rattling.

Look around the industry, every pilot group has talked tough,but then given management what they wanted. Delta pilots were the latest to talk strike, yet they too surrendered the wallet for the second time in as many years.

Sad state of affairs.

The rEAL pilots were the last ones to draw a line in the sand.

It's all saber rattling.

Look around the industry, every pilot group has talked tough,but then given management what they wanted. Delta pilots were the latest to talk strike, yet they too surrendered the wallet for the second time in as many years.

Sad state of affairs.

The rEAL pilots were the last ones to draw a line in the sand.

Not quite the same. No pilot group has conceded to demands like NWA is asking for ie; NEWCO.

Before it was a makeup of pay/workrules.

Latest posts