NWA Pilot Strike?

"Full-time workers who were union members had median weekly earnings of $801, compared with a median weekly income of $622 for workers who were not in unions."

Well I don't guess I am doing so bad, I am above the union average working at an "at will" company. You guys just keep giving your money away and be happy. I am perfectly happy standing on my own.

And 3188, I don't need a care home, I can take care of myself. You better learn to do the same if you are in the airline industry. See the paragraph above, I took care of myself and now enjoy life and have, or can buy, anything I want.

Thanks for the paternal advice. What makes you think I don't already save for my future/live within my means.etc.?
I can also "buy anything I want." I choose to buy things my family needs instead.

Do your grandkids ever come to visit?

Nope, it's a choice. I enjoy what I do and I prefer to stay in operational possitions. It allows me far more flexability with my schedule thana 9-5 type desk job. I have never had an interest in joining upper managment. A 3 or maybe a 4 would be as high as I am willing to go but I have not seen anything that has peaked my interest.

Actually according to this link it is 12.5% Quite a bit higher than I thought but still a very small percentage.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060121/ap_on_...nion_membership

I wonder why that is?
I'm sure you've had the oppurtunity, there is good and bad everywhere. Even at their peak unions were maybe 35%, there are only so many jobs that come under that scope. Still, the biggest hit in membership has been the loss of manufacturing. Outside working for the government, there have not been too many large employers that have not been shedding benefits and wages. I'm not saying unions are are perfect, but it has become too out of balance with big business.

There were FAA rules and regulations in place that would have prevented the ValueJet crash. They simply were not followed. I do believe that fire detection and suppression equipment is necessary in aircraft but the ValueJet crash was an ignorant excuse to mandate such equipment. Fire detection and suppression equipment would have done nothing to prevent that crash.
I will tell you firsthand that before the Valujet crash, the planes never had fire suppression equipment installed in the cargo holds. The FAA was well aware of the dangers but FAILED to act on it and sadly it took the lives of 110 pax and crew to get the FAA to ACT on a request from the NTSB for a Fire Suppression equipment.

You need to go back and read the PATCO contract. These guys were government workers and had a no strike clause in their "contract". By choosing to walk off the job, they were basically quitting. Regan had a job to protect the air traffic system and he did by hiring people who WANTED to work.

BORESCOPE,

True. But why did PATCO walk? There must have been a darn good reason. Was the Government strong-arming them or something? There are two sides to every story and maybe you can elaborate??
Why wasn't a court injuction issued against them striking instead? It could have been handled a number of different ways. But I guess Ronny couldn't pass up the opportunity to make the Republican, anti-union, Hall of Fame <_< .
Don't sugar coat it. Reagan set a precedent which signaled to Corporate America, that it's OK to bust unions.

While at UAIR, the union was in court more times than I can count to keep the company in compliance with our CBA. UAIR would simply breach our agreement when they didn't like something, knowing it will take ages to resolve it in the courts. That's the Corporate American way. There's your trickle-down Reaganomics :down:

And what happened with the NWA flyboys?? They gave in and now the company wants MORE-MORE-MORE!!! They should have joined the AMFA on the picket line. Too late. Now NWA will pick at the pilot group and the Flight Attendants compensation like a vulture on a road kill.

There were FAA rules and regulations in place that would have prevented the ValueJet crash. Fire detection and suppression equipment would have done nothing to prevent that crash.

CODS,

I beg to differ! That O2 generator was set off well before that flight ever left the ground. Yep. It was already burning, albeit at a low level. Fire Detection most certainly would have alerted the crew that they had a problem and an evac would have followed. But we all know how that story ended :( .

Another stellar example of the FAA's Tombstone Legislation.

There you go again, Trons.

When PATCO went on strike, they were, in essence, CRIMINALS!

What they did was ILLEGAL! No court injunction needed.

If an injunction was necessary, why don't we have to get court injunctions against bank robbers?

Wake up, Trons. Anything to spout venum against the President who got the Berlin Wall torn down, got the economy running on all 8 cylinders, and ended the cold war.

NWA needs money to keep flying. If you don't want to get it from the employees, where would you get the money from?
Where are your great ideas? Come on, let us hear your wisdom.

As far as your "Tombstone Legislation" goes, what would you do to eliminate accidents? Hire a fortune teller to look into a crystal ball and tell you what is going to happen?

As far as your comment about the scabs STEALING the livlihood away from the unionized labor, the jobs were vacated by unionized labor and at that time the jobs are up for grabs.

The Management of NWA had an obligation to get those jobs filled and keep the airline flying.

That obligation is to their stockholders who own the company.

If you were the one who tried to equate my comment about the TW flight into Long Island with TW800, I know better. TW800 went into the Atlantic Ocean and was not a malfunction. The flight I meant was the one that went into the Long Island neighborhood.

You are the one spouting off like a dunce and I've forgotton more about aviation than you'll ever know.

There you go again, Trons.

When PATCO went on strike, they were, in essence, CRIMINALS! What they did was ILLEGAL! No court injunction needed. (You mean criminals like Dick Cheney/Halliburton?? Did you ever hear of a wildcat strike??)

If an injunction was necessary, why don't we have to get court injunctions against bank robbers? (We should just shoot bank robbers).
Wake up, Trons. Anything to spout venum (venom) against the President who got the Berlin Wall torn down, got the economy running on all 8 cylinders, and ended the cold war. (I had admiration for President Reagan even if I didn't care for some things he did. He must be rolling in his grave.....to have two BUSH-whackers "F" it all up with two wars, rocketing debt, and corruption on Capital Hill!!)

NWA needs money to keep flying. If you don't want to get it from the employees, where would you get the money from? (Start with the exec's compensation).
Where are your great ideas? Come on, let us hear your wisdom. (Treat employees with respect and maybe they would be more productive and loyal towards the company. They might even voluntarily assist financially if they knew it wouldn't be squandered or that they would get screwed. It's called human decency).

As far as your "Tombstone Legislation" goes, what would you do to eliminate accidents? Hire a fortune teller to look into a crystal ball and tell you what is going to happen? (You cannot eliminate accidents you fool. But you can certainly assure good oversight on all the hack shops that seem to be prospering as of late. And when an airline violates policy, fine them but good!! Make it illegal for unlicensed personnel to work on aircraft....Period. And most certainly outlaw replacement workers aka, SCABS!!).

As far as your comment about the scabs STEALING the livlihood away from the unionized labor, the jobs were vacated by unionized labor and at that time the jobs are up for grabs.(You sound like a SCAB yourself. How noble!!)

The Management of NWA had an obligation to get those jobs filled and keep the airline flying. (By training SCAB-replacement workers 18 MONTHS BEFORE A STRIKE EVER OCCURRED!!!)

That obligation is to their stockholders who own the company. (Their first obligation is to the flying public by providing SAFE aircraft!! NOT money to the BOD!!)

If you were the one who tried to equate my comment about the TW flight into Long Island with TW800, I know better. TW800 went into the Atlantic Ocean and was not a malfunction. The flight I meant was the one that went into the Long Island neighborhood. (Not Me).

You are the one spouting off like a dunce and I've forgotton (forgotten) more about aviation than you'll ever know.(Right....I just frittered away my 20+ years in avionics, composites, and heavy maintenance. I think I will put my A&P and FCC tickets on e-bay)

If you were the one who tried to equate my comment about the TW flight into Long Island with TW800, I know better. TW800 went into the Atlantic Ocean and was not a malfunction. The flight I meant was the one that went into the Long Island neighborhood.

You are the one spouting off like a dunce and I've forgotton more about aviation than you'll ever know.

I was the one who questioned your comment concerning TWA. I also questioned your comment about UAL crashing a DC-10 in ORD which I see you conveniently failed to mention.

So please elaborate on this fantasy of a TWA crash in a Long Island neighborhood. Funny thing it doesn't show up in the NTSB database query.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/Response2.asp

Looks like the only thing you've forgotten is the FACTS!

I just saw this on the link that Kev3188 provided.

ALPA PLEDGES $10 MILLION TO HELP FUND CONTINGENCY PREPARATIONS (1/26/06)
Yesterday evening, ALPA’s Executive Council granted the Northwest pilot group up to $10 million from the union’s Major Contingency Fund. ALPA’s Executive Board is expected to approve the funding on an expedited basis.

The $10 million will assist in contingency preparations for defense of NWA pilots’ jobs, wages and working conditions in the event the U.S. Bankruptcy Court authorizes rejection of ALPA’s collective bargaining agreement with Northwest and the company unilaterally implements terms and conditions of pilot employment.

it's Duane, thinking out for himself. A lot of his retirement money is still sitting at NW. You didn't see him spit out even 1M for the UA or US pilots.

Latest posts