NWA Pilot Strike?

My comments are best conveyed in the words of my dear friend Hazel Dickens song. Hazel is a friend of all who draw a paycheck and a National Heritage award winner.

United we stand, divided we fall
For every dime they give us a battle must be fought
Woking people use your power, the key to Liberty
Don't support the rich mans style of luxury

There ain't no way they'll keep us down oh no
ain't no way they'll keep us down oh no
We won't be bought, we won't be sold
we'll be treat right and that's our goal
ain't no way they'll keep us down oh no

We've been shot and we've been jailed Lord it's a sin
Women and little Children stood right by the men
And we got a union contract that keeps the worker free
and they'll never shoot the union out of me.

Hazel summed it up rather well, sounds like the LATE GREAT Johnny Cash!

**Moderator Note: Please refrain from quoting a lengthy post. It just makes it easier for everyone to read follow-on posts. Thank you.**

A rumor is flying around that if the pilots do strike they will each draw twenty thousand dollars each from the union. Is there any truth to this?

SURE!

Lets see now....aprox 5,400 active pilots x $20,000....

That comes to........$108,000,000.

You've just raised ignorance to an art form.

SURE!

I don't think it's really fair to jump all over someone for simply asking a question, especially when there is a lot of conflicting information that has been swirling about.

That being said, you are correct, the $10M is actually a pretty small amount ($2000 per active pilot) when you consider that their monthly income prior to Nov 15, 2005 was about $12,000 per month. I suppose they assume a strike would be very short if effective (I.E., if it results in a beneficial contract and NWA not in Chapter 7) so only a partial month of income coverage is likely necessary. Naturally, if a strike results in Ch. 7, then the size of the strike fund is of little value.

I don't think it's really fair to jump all over someone for simply asking a question, especially when there is a lot of conflicting information that has been swirling about.

The vast majority of PTOs posts call both his judgment and industry knowledge into serious question. With that said, I am fairly certain that he commands at the very least a fundamental understanding of basic math. For him to post such a question he should come to expect that he'd be called on something so ridiculous.

it's Duane, thinking out for himself. A lot of his retirement money is still sitting at NW. You didn't see him spit out even 1M for the UA or US pilots.
DUANE WOERTH IS A TYPICAL ALPA NATIONAL A**HOLE, THESE PRICKS ARE STILL MAKING 500,000 PLUS A YEAR STILL HAVE A PENSION AND BETTER HEALTHCARE THAN THE LINE PILOTS. WE HAVE LOST ARE PENSION TAKEN, 45% PAYCUTS, ARE PAYING MORE FOR HEALTH INSURANCE WHILE APLA NATIONAL SITS IN DC WITH THERE HEAD UP THERE ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SURE!
Like I said Thirdseat its just a rumor. Do let me ask if that is an impossible number to achieve? What if a pilots strike was to go on for 10 months. Would the union be prepared to shell out that kind of cash? Or will they be broke three weeks into the strike like AMFA was?

Is it at all possible for NWA to be prepared for a pilots strike? How difficult would it be to have foreign nationals already trained to take over the international flights to their perspective countries? How difficult would it be to keep the freighters flying? There is your moneymakers right there. Would Mesaba continue with the Airlink flights? I am sure the domestic flights would take a beating but according to you guys they are already. I know you guys disagree but I do think it is possible for NWA to pull off a pilots strike. If they are willing to go the distance on this they had better be prepared for it.

I know you guys disagree but I do think it is possible for NWA to pull off a pilots strike. If they are willing to go the distance on this they had better be prepared for it.

Just like they were in 1998?

You already know from an earlier conversation that NW has no contingency plans for a strike. The only difference now is the looming spectre of liquidation.

Is it at all possible for NWA to be prepared for a pilots strike? How difficult would it be to have foreign nationals already trained to take over the international flights to their perspective countries?

At this time is would be neigh impossible. First off the two regulatory bodies do not match. Just because you are qualified to fly in China does not mean you meet the FAA requirements to fly here. That being the case there would be a H U G E influx of paperwork of foreign ATP certified pilots to the FAA. That would get noticed in a heart-beat.

Second, in case you have not been reading the news; the aviation market overseas (particularly in Asia, and SE Asia) is booming. They are grabbing pilots as soon as they get out of training. There would be hardly anyone left to send to the states to fly.

Like I said Thirdseat its just a rumor. Do let me ask if that is an impossible number to achieve? What if a pilots strike was to go on for 10 months. Would the union be prepared to shell out that kind of cash? Or will they be broke three weeks into the strike like AMFA was?

Is it at all possible for NWA to be prepared for a pilots strike? How difficult would it be to have foreign nationals already trained to take over the international flights to their perspective countries? How difficult would it be to keep the freighters flying? There is your moneymakers right there. Would Mesaba continue with the Airlink flights? I am sure the domestic flights would take a beating but according to you guys they are already. I know you guys disagree but I do think it is possible for NWA to pull off a pilots strike. If they are willing to go the distance on this they had better be prepared for it.

Don't try to requalify your remarks now. Before, you stated they'd be issued 20k at the strike onset.

Nevermind, the outright lunacy in the idea that a pilot strike might last 10 months or longer with NWA in the precarious position it is now.

Your idea of how NWA would handle a pilot strike, besides the near logistical impossiblities involved, ie: an entire or even partial replacement of flight crews, scheduling, etc etc....., there is also the stigma of a carrier in bankruptcy, with pilots on strike, with mechanics on strike.

They wouldn't last half that long.

Oh BTW AMFA isn't broke, try again.

This is such a horrible situation for all NW employees. Management seems bound and determined to enrage their workers to strike. My heart goes out to everyone involved.

That said, I'm really worried the pilots will walk. I think they are absolutely being put into a position where there's no other choice.

However, I did bet a friend I'd eat my red go-go boots if NW ALPA did strike. I don't want to see anyone unemployed or abused by management in such an egregious manner.

I don't want to eat those boots either. :ph34r:

What a mess.

Dea

This is such a horrible situation for all NW employees. Management seems bound and determined to enrage their workers to strike. My heart goes out to everyone involved.

That said, I'm really worried the pilots will walk. I think they are absolutely being put into a position where there's no other choice.

However, I did bet a friend I'd eat my red go-go boots if NW ALPA did strike. I don't want to see anyone unemployed or abused by management in such an egregious manner.

I don't want to eat those boots either. :ph34r:

What a mess.

Dea

Ma'am, you are indeed priceless, and I think the world is much beter off having you on it
:D

So then it looks like a very high stakes game of poker is about to be played. Do you think the pilots will throw the company under the bus?

I predict that one of the bankrupt carriers either DL or NWA will liquidate because the pilots have just flat had it.

Any bets which one? I'm betting DL myself.

Neither. Both ALPA MECs will fold like cheap suits . . just like US Air and UAL did.

Latest posts