NWA Pilot Strike?

This is such a horrible situation for all NW employees. Management seems bound and determined to enrage their workers to strike. My heart goes out to everyone involved.

That said, I'm really worried the pilots will walk. I think they are absolutely being put into a position where there's no other choice.

However, I did bet a friend I'd eat my red go-go boots if NW ALPA did strike. I don't want to see anyone unemployed or abused by management in such an egregious manner.

I don't want to eat those boots either. :ph34r:

What a mess.

Dea

Dea,
I agree with you about not wanting anyone to lose thier jobs. (Except SCABS of course.) One must look at NWA with an eye on management's past record. Pilot's will be the last ones standing because they have the most to lose. Will they strike? I believe they will ONLY if they open thier own eyes and see that NWA is either going to liquidate or merge with Delta.
NWA is a CANCER and those who have voted for concessions there are simply feeding it. NWA is no longer an airline. They are only a sweat shop.

Ken,

In my opinion, if ever a company needed a strike, NWA is it. I don't understand why the pilots don't see they are next for outsourcing, even if it's to smaller exquipment.

It seems to me that NWA wants to use foreign nationals for its flight attendants, taking away jobs from Americans. US Airways learned an expensive lesson when RES was outsourced to Manilla and San Salvador. American consumers want to deal with employees who have a good grasp of English and American idioms. Heaven only knows how many customers and how much money was lost during that little experiment.

It appears NWA management is just spoiling for a strike or a lock-out. I don't understand it, as having a labor dispute on the property devalues the corporation. It most certainly ties the hands for many transactions that could enhance the company.

Maybe Steenland and Cohen just want to see how far they can push it. What do those two stand to gain if NWA goes Chapter 7?

Are they counting on the fear of the older employees, close to retirement who just want to get out with what little is left? Is that maybe why NWA went for a pension freeze rather than a whole-sale dump of the plans?

What's happening at NWA will affect (infect?) every US Airline. Where does it stop? When does it stop? When Branson steps in with Virgin America?

I don't know. But my prayers and good wishes are will all the fine employees who kept NWA going in spite of itself.

I can only hope justice will prevail.

Dea