delldude

Veteran
Oct 29, 2002
Downrange
www.youtube.com

Return of ‘Death Panels’? Obama to Enact End-of-Life Planning for Medicare

death_panel_comic_xlarge.jpeg

Article

The final version of the health care legislation, signed into law by President Obama in March, authorized Medicare coverage of yearly physical examinations, or wellness visits. The new rule says Medicare will cover “voluntary advance care planning,” to discuss end-of-life treatment, as part of the annual visit.

Death is near

“While we are very happy with the result, we won’t be shouting it from the rooftops because we aren’t out of the woods yet,” Mr. Blumenauer’s office said in an e-mail in early November to people working with him on the issue. “This regulation could be modified or reversed, especially if Republican leaders try to use this small provision to perpetuate the ‘death panel’ myth.” Moreover, the e-mail said: “We would ask that you not broadcast this accomplishment out to any of your lists, even if they are ‘supporters’ — e-mails can too easily be forwarded.”

Reactions: 1 person

Return of ‘Death Panels’? Obama to Enact End-of-Life Planning for Medicare

Article

Death is near
Some additional quotes from the NY Times article:

Under the new policy, outlined in a Medicare regulation, the government will pay doctors who advise patients on options for end-of-life care, which may include advance directives to forgo aggressive life-sustaining treatment.

<snip>

Under the rule, doctors can provide information to patients on how to prepare an “advance directive,” stating how aggressively they wish to be treated if they are so sick that they cannot make health care decisions for themselves.

<snip>

“It will give people more control over the care they receive,” Mr. Blumenauer said in an interview. “It means that doctors and patients can have these conversations in the normal course of business, as part of our health care routine, not as something put off until we are forced to do it.”

<snip>

The rule was issued by Dr. Donald M. Berwick, administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and a longtime advocate for better end-of-life care.

“Using unwanted procedures in terminal illness is a form of assault,” Dr. Berwick has said. “In economic terms, it is waste. Several techniques, including advance directives and involvement of patients and families in decision-making, have been shown to reduce inappropriate care at the end of life, leading to both lower cost and more humane care.”

<snip>

Mr. Blumenauer and Mr. Rockefeller said that advance directives would help doctors and nurses provide care in keeping with patients’ wishes.

“Early advance care planning is important because a person’s ability to make decisions may diminish over time, and he or she may suddenly lose the capability to participate in health care decisions,” the lawmakers said in a letter to Dr. Berwick in August.

<snip>

For example, Dr. Silveira said, she might ask a person with heart disease, “If you have another heart attack and your heart stops beating, would you want us to try to restart it?” A patient dying of emphysema might be asked, “Do you want to go on a breathing machine for the rest of your life?” And, she said, a patient with incurable cancer might be asked, “When the time comes, do you want us to use technology to try and delay your death?”

Reactions: 2 people
It's about bloody time. I wish this would have been around when my mother was dieing. The amount of effort it required to get options for her that did not involve treatments they even the doctors acknowledged would not work was obscene. The only person who gave us some viable options was a nurse 'off the record'. When it got to be too much, we took my mom out of the hospital and found a very nice hospice. All the hospitals and doctors wanted to do was try this that and the other things to treat what was already acknowledged was a terminal disease. She had no awareness of who she was or where she was or who we were. Her quality of life was non-existent and since she did not have a living will/directive no one would take our word that she made it very clear to us that she never wanted to live like that. All they wanted to do was run up the insurance tab. We finally said enough was enough. We let her go. The Hospital sure as hell did not want to.

We treated my dog better than my mother was treated by the medical community. Why is this country so afraid of death? Why do people think they have the right to tell me how I must live my life and when I can say enough is enough? When someone decides they no longer want to live, who is it to say no you must live and we will force you too? How did we get to the point when we decided suicide is against the law? Sure if the person is healthy and able to go on we should do all we can to encourage the person to deal and continue on but the final decision is theirs and theirs alone. Seems that if a person is willing to kill them selves with alcohol, nicotine or bad food that is OK but god forbid they try and do it quicker and more efficiently.

Death panels? What are you people so scared of? Who do you want to be in charge of the end of your life, you or some doctor who has no vested interest? You will die eventually. I for one want to go out on my terms.

Reactions: 4 people
Death panels? What are you people so scared of? Who do you want to be in charge of the end of your life, you or some doctor who has no vested interest? You will die eventually. I for one want to go out on my terms.

Yah thats how the policy started in the UK, eventually NHS dwindled it down to a dollar value per average end of life expectancy. So even tho a cure can be attained if a person is too old they will not get it as it costs to much. But dont be scared when when you get that denial letter in the mail. Or your loved one. Just suck it up and comfort your loved with the excuse of "You will die eventually".

Whats even more troubling is that under the rule making authority in Obamacare, anything can be changed and added at a whim. So all this was a giant bait and switch. Outrage at Death Panels? Just leave it out and add it in later via the rule making authority. Abortion funding outrage? Just leave it out and add it in later.

Lovely.....just lovely.

That is the problem....it won't be YOU in charge it will be some frigging bureaucrat just like the HMO's. You can't figure that out for yourself?

No Mister Tree......the treatment is too costly and you're to old....It is your time to die.

My advice, see an attorney and cut an advance heath care directive and tell your loved ones of your wishes.
Just have to leave it all up to the government don't you....LOL

We are not in charge now.

People are too scared to deal with death. That's why they don't do it till it's too late. If the hospitals and doctors are compelled to do so at point of contact that may help save quite a few people a lot of pain and suffering.

Reactions: 3 people

People are too scared to deal with death. That's why they don't do it till it's too late. If the hospitals and doctors are compelled to do so at point of contact that may help save quite a few people a lot of pain and suffering.

That's counter to your other post.
Thought you wanted to be in control.
People don't like to deal with it because its like writing a will and deals with finality.
So they are compelled to deal with your death and you do not want to deal with it....what do you suppose happens? Wanna bet they make the choice for you?

Miss Tree, you have to decide.....

You are in charge you just don't realize it.

People are not scared to deal with death. Thats a bald face lie and a farce. Doctors counsel their patients everyday about their EOL options. They have for years.

That's counter to your other post.
Thought you wanted to be in control.
People don't like to deal with it because its like writing a will and deals with finality.
So they are compelled to deal with your death and you do not want to deal with it....what do you suppose happens? Wanna bet they make the choice for you?

Miss Tree, you have to decide.....

You are in charge you just don't realize it.

What I am saying is that when people do not have a living will, PoA....etc, they will surender their rights to the doctors and hospitals. With out clear directions, the family can loose out like in the Shivo case.

Reactions: 4 people
What I am saying is that when people do not have a living will, PoA....etc, they will surender their rights to the doctors and hospitals. With out clear directions, the family can loose out like in the Shivo case.
Not the governments role. Period.

Then I say get government out of it completely ad allow doctors to perform euthanasia when they and the family feel it's appropriate. Allow them to prescribe alternative treatments and cannabis when they deem it appropriate.

Reactions: 3 people

I wouldn't say they surrender their rights to them at all....they just have left no options for themselves.