October Fa Attrition

Do you know anyone who currently works for UAL? Do we have to give up our recall rights? I'd love to be qualified and fly on the 747 but not to give up recall rights just yet when UAL is still in bankruptcy with a dim light at the end of the tunnel.

Looks like you won't have to worry about making a decision. There are obviously plenty of people who think United has a bright future.

From the United Airlines CEO

When our online Web site -- set up to recruit qualified candidates for 2,000 flight attendant positions opening in 2006 -- went live on Sunday, we received 7,500 applications in the first day alone, seven times as many as we expected. We are able to hire new flight attendants because our restructuring work and improvements to operations have put us in a better competitive position compared to other network carriers, and we will continue to strengthen our core business. .

Reuters
United to hire 2,000 flight attendants
Friday November 11, 1:26 pm ET
By Christian Plumb

NEW YORK (Reuters) - United Airlines, the No. 2 U.S. carrier, said on Friday it plans to start hiring 2,000 flight attendants as it increases the numbers of international flights and as domestic jets fly longer-range routes.
ADVERTISEMENT

The new hires, the UAL Corp. (OTC BB:UALAQ.OB - News) unit's first since the September 11, 2001, attacks, come as it prepares to emerge from bankruptcy early next year.

The new staffing is largely an exception in an industry that has slashed thousands of jobs as traffic nosedived after the 2001 attacks, then was battered on the cost side by soaring fuel prices.

The hiring will begin on Sunday in Chicago, where United is based, and in Washington, which serves as a departure point for many of United's overseas flights, airline spokeswoman Robin Urbanski said Friday.

She said some of the new hires would replace flight attendants who have retired or decided not to return from voluntary furloughs during the airline's nearly three years in bankruptcy.

A seven-week training course for the new jobs will begin in January, the airline said.

The airline now has 17,000 flight attendants, 15,000 of whom are active, though that number is set to increase as United has called back all of its flight attendants on furlough, she said.

Dela Cruz estimated the new hires would earn annual salaries of about $16,000, based on a minimum of 75 guaranteed hours a month, down from the $19,500 that was typical before wages were cut in bankruptcy.

But United said the jobs would pay $23,000 to $24,000 based on a full-time schedule of 85 hours a month, going up to a maximum of $45,000 for more senior flight attendants working on international routes.

The jobs include 401-K retirement plans, health and dental insurance, paid vacations and travel privileges.

United is among several U.S. airlines that are shifting capacity to more-profitable international routes and away from domestic ones where they face stiff competition from low-cost carriers.

"As we fly more routes internationally, those routes, those flights require more flight attendants than in the domestic flights because on the international flights there's a higher level of service," Urbanski said.

Domestically, more flight attendants are needed as jets are shifted to longer-range flights, she said. Some of the shorter routes that used to be flown by regular United jets are now served by regional jets staffed by flight attendants from outside the union.

Looks like you won't have to worry about making a decision. There are obviously plenty of people who think United has a bright future.

From the United Airlines CEO

When our online Web site -- set up to recruit qualified candidates for 2,000 flight attendant positions opening in 2006 -- went live on Sunday, we received 7,500 applications in the first day alone, seven times as many as we expected. We are able to hire new flight attendants because our restructuring work and improvements to operations have put us in a better competitive position compared to other network carriers, and we will continue to strengthen our core business. .
Reuters
United to hire 2,000 flight attendants
Friday November 11, 1:26 pm ET
By Christian Plumb
NEW YORK (Reuters) - United Airlines, the No. 2 U.S. carrier, said on Friday it plans to start hiring 2,000 flight attendants as it increases the numbers of international flights and as domestic jets fly longer-range routes.
ADVERTISEMENT

The new hires, the UAL Corp. (OTC BB:UALAQ.OB - News) unit's first since the September 11, 2001, attacks, come as it prepares to emerge from bankruptcy early next year.

The new staffing is largely an exception in an industry that has slashed thousands of jobs as traffic nosedived after the 2001 attacks, then was battered on the cost side by soaring fuel prices.

The hiring will begin on Sunday in Chicago, where United is based, and in Washington, which serves as a departure point for many of United's overseas flights, airline spokeswoman Robin Urbanski said Friday.

She said some of the new hires would replace flight attendants who have retired or decided not to return from voluntary furloughs during the airline's nearly three years in bankruptcy.

A seven-week training course for the new jobs will begin in January, the airline said.

The airline now has 17,000 flight attendants, 15,000 of whom are active, though that number is set to increase as United has called back all of its flight attendants on furlough, she said.

Dela Cruz estimated the new hires would earn annual salaries of about $16,000, based on a minimum of 75 guaranteed hours a month, down from the $19,500 that was typical before wages were cut in bankruptcy.

But United said the jobs would pay $23,000 to $24,000 based on a full-time schedule of 85 hours a month, going up to a maximum of $45,000 for more senior flight attendants working on international routes.

The jobs include 401-K retirement plans, health and dental insurance, paid vacations and travel privileges.

United is among several U.S. airlines that are shifting capacity to more-profitable international routes and away from domestic ones where they face stiff competition from low-cost carriers.

"As we fly more routes internationally, those routes, those flights require more flight attendants than in the domestic flights because on the international flights there's a higher level of service," Urbanski said.

Domestically, more flight attendants are needed as jets are shifted to longer-range flights, she said. Some of the shorter routes that used to be flown by regular United jets are now served by regional jets staffed by flight attendants from outside the union.

I guess even God can't argue with ignorance...$16,000 a year..I LOVE people and I LOVE to travel...

Do you know anyone who currently works for UAL? Do we have to give up our recall rights? I'd love to be qualified and fly on the 747 but not to give up recall rights just yet when UAL is still in bankruptcy with a dim light at the end of the tunnel.

Why tell them you worked for AA at all? For what they are offering just tell them you were in prison for the last 10 years like the rest of the applicants.

Well, here on the last day of November, they finally got around to posting the October attrition numbers on the Flight Service website.

Domestic--43
Interntl--31
Total-----74 (You go, MK!)

Average seniority of those leaving: 17years

Of the 74, 25 were retirements.

So, according to the Flight Service website, we have had a total attrition of 752 this year through the end of October.

Just FYI, I returned to the line 17NOV04 with a seniority number of 19324. My seniority number this morning is 18334--a drop of 990 in less than a year. Even though the 990 includes attrition for November and December of last year, it does not include attrition for November of this year. Something does not jive between the official attrition numbers and my seniority number.

Going by the drop in my seniority number it appears that we are on track to lose about 1000 flight attendants this year. Does anyone believe that we can make it to July, 2008 with no more recalls?

Does anyone believe that we can make it to July, 2008 with no more recalls?

Not with the huge JFK proffer expected for the Spring of 2006! This is not going to be your cheezy proffer of 30 or so flight attendants to JFK. This proffer is expected to be above 100! All do to the International expansion for AA at JFK.

Speaking of pulling down domestic service, how many of the TW757s are still left in the active fleet? Does the current fleet plan eliminate the remaining craft during 2006?

Not with the huge JFK proffer expected for the Spring of 2006! This is not going to be your cheezy proffer of 30 or so flight attendants to JFK. This proffer is expected to be above 100! All do to the International expansion for AA at JFK.
There may be a proffer, but where are you getting your numbers from? They have only announced one additional flight as of now. Just curious.

Speaking of pulling down domestic service, how many of the TW757s are still left in the active fleet? Does the current fleet plan eliminate the remaining craft during 2006?

All of the TW757s are still in the fleet and will be there longer than most of the AA757s. The oldest TW757 is about 10 years younger than most of the AA757s. Note the drop down video screens are LCDs. The reason the AA757s have CRT screens hanging from the ceiling is because the LCD technology didn't exist when AA bought those 75s.

I'm not wild about the small overhead bins, but that is easily corrected on next major maintenance. I love the TW757s trash carts and the placement of the M/C lavs is wonderful!

The 10-K for 2002 says that the 757 fleet total of 151 included 27 ex-TWA 757s, but by last year, the total 757 fleet count was down to 143 for a loss of eight. The leases on about a dozen of the ex-TWA 757s expired in 2004 - perhaps AA let go of eight of them at that time.

There are 19 ex-TWA 757s currently in the fleet; down from 27 after the asset purchase.

Hey Jim,

It's my understanding that the "752s" are being returned when their leases expire. They are not fleet compatible with the 757s since they have PW engines and not RR. It sounded like the pylons are made for a particular type of engine. I'm sure a mechanic could explain this much better than I have.

This would also explain why the 752 doesn't have expanded bins, converted interiors, and placards for days :lol: God only knows what the SLT 752 mafia will bid if these go away! :p

Regarding the seniority numbers not matching up to YTD attrition...are F/As on INACT status included in the master list? On my 3BR, there is a F/A who has been INACT for well over a year (another INACT on my 3BR is on maternity leave). I think they lose seniority while being on a leave so it would make sense if they are not included in the "master" list.

Just a thought,

Coop

SLT

All of the TW757s are still in the fleet and will be there longer than most of the AA757s. The oldest TW757 is about 10 years younger than most of the AA757s. Note the drop down video screens are LCDs. The reason the AA757s have CRT screens hanging from the ceiling is because the LCD technology didn't exist when AA bought those 75s.

I'm not wild about the small overhead bins, but that is easily corrected on next major maintenance. I love the TW757s trash carts and the placement of the M/C lavs is wonderful!

Back