off to a great start!

dfw gen

Veteran
Dec 1, 2011
"As we've said, we'll evaluate all the alternatives to create the best outcome," Horton said. "But our restructuring as an independent company is off to an incredibly good start."
Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/06/11/4024364/american-airlines-ceo-says-labor.html#storylink=cpy

American posts worst on-time rate in April, BTS says
Read more here: http://blogs.star-telegram.com/sky_talk/2012/06/american-posts-worst-on-time-rate-in-april-bts-says.html#storylink=cpy

RANKCARRIERPERCENT OF
ARRIVALS
ON TIME
1HAWAIIAN AIRLINES94.4
2AIRTRAN AIRWAYS94.0
3DELTA AIR LINES90.9
4ALASKA AIRLINES90.6
5US AIRWAYS90.6
6MESA AIRLINES 89.2
7SOUTHWEST AIRLINES87.0
8JETBLUE AIRWAYS 86.8
9VIRGIN AMERICA 86.7
10SKYWEST AIRLINES85.0
11AMERICAN EAGLE84.8
12FRONTIER AIRLINES 82.7
13EXPRESSJET AIRLINES 82.6
14UNITED AIRLINES 81.6
15AMERICAN AIRLINES 81.4
Read more here: http://blogs.star-telegram.com/sky_talk/2012/06/american-posts-worst-on-time-rate-in-april-bts-says.html#storylink=cpy

not sure about you folks but im ready to buy some stock in this train wreck........

He was probably being sarcastic, anyone who buys stock will lose their investment, the stock will be wiped out in bankruptcy and new stock issued.

Reactions: 3 people
Customers clearly weren't concerned about the irrelevant government on-time stats in April, as AMR turned in its best year-over-year unit revenue monthly increase in April (11.6%) in several years:

http://aa.mediaroom....?s=43&item=3506

Same story in May, when AMR led the legacy industry in unit revenue percentage increase, beating UA, DL and US.

Success is measured in dollars (via higher fares), not in the percentage of flights that arrive "on-time" as defined by the DoT. Despite the disproportionate attention paid to these stats by airline employees and their idiot managers, their irrelevance is legendary among paying customers.

Jfk thats easy to explain. It you lower the bar anyone fan reach it!

Customers clearly weren't concerned about the irrelevant government on-time stats in April, as AMR turned in its best year-over-year unit revenue monthly increase in April (11.6%) in several years:

Same story in May, when AMR led the legacy industry in unit revenue percentage increase, beating UA, DL and US.

Success is measured in dollars (via higher fares), not in the percentage of flights that arrive "on-time" as defined by the DoT. Despite the disproportionate attention paid to these stats by airline employees and their idiot managers, their irrelevance is legendary among paying customers.
Clearly a result of the "cascade" program. Otherwise known as trimming the fat from managements ranks.
Can we just stop the cascading now and see how it plays out??? :D

Tell that to the people who miss their connections or cruizes.

FWAAA is correct. Passengers do not look at on-time stats when deciding on which carrier to fly. Price dominates for leisure traveler as well as convenience of schedule. Business traveler is also convenience of schedule (after FF bennies).

I'm sure plenty of them were steamed in April, as AA's on-time stats were not impressive. Notice, however, that UA's numbers were almost exactly the same? So people in CHI and Texas (where AA and UA dominate) basically had a choice of late or late.

What happened in April? Oh, that's right - tornadoes and hail in DFW that damaged dozens of planes and severely disrupted AA's schedule. I'm guessing that the fallout from that storm and other spring storms had something to do with the dismal numbers for AA. UA? Its computer problems have plagued it since March 3, resulting in numerous delays and customer defections, primarily to AA.

FWAAA is correct. Passengers do not look at on-time stats when deciding on which carrier to fly. Price dominates for leisure traveler as well as convenience of schedule. Business traveler is also convenience of schedule (after FF bennies).
Yep. Part of it is that April's on-time stats have nothing to do with whether my June flight will arrive on time - just like the stock market's past performance has nothing to do with its future results. Additionally, if you buy your tickets weeks or months in advance, there's no way of knowing how things will turn out and because of nonrefundable tickets, there's nothing you can do even if you had advance notice that things would go wrong.

The deal has long been "customers buy their tickets and the airline will do its best to stick to the schedule." Seasoned travelers know this and live by it. Once-a-year Kettles (the crowd that screams "We're never flying this GD airline again" to the poor gate agents) don't fly often enough to realize the deal.

I realize that for many years, airline executives have drummed into employees the vital importance of being on-time, but I don't see any link between consistent on-time performance and superior financial results. If there was a causal link between the two, I have to believe that the egghead academics would be trumpeting those findings.

Reactions: 2 people
Any buffoon that misses a cruise because of a late flight, deserves it for not following common sense and traveling the day before the cruise to alleviate that problem.

Who can afford a cruise anymore?

I'd love to get my hands on some raw data to test it, but I wonder how often AA winds up taking a dependability hit because they hold outbound connecting flights for a late inbound at the hubs. UA tends not to hold connections, can't say for DL. But AA will hold for 10-15 minutes when the numbers justify it.