OH contract

iluvaa said:
cost of living in Dallas is the same as Tulsa so what really is your point brother. High cost of living guys have a real gripe you darn sure don't
so are you saying the responsibility I take on a airplane is not worth as much because I live in Dallas. Then in a high cost of living area I do not see it that way. The way I see we all should make industry leading pay.

Reactions: 2 people
iluvaa said:
cost of living in Dallas is the same as Tulsa so what really is your point brother. High cost of living guys have a real gripe you darn sure don't
The cost of living in Dallas Tx, is NOT the same as in Tulsa. It is now much more expensive to live in Dallas than it cost to live in Tulsa.  I could move to Tulsa and get a much larger house on land and pay alot less than I could in Dallas Tx.  You obviously are not in tune with the market in Dallas currently.  Communities somewhere between 45 minutes to an hour plus outside of Dallas now starts at mid 200,00.00, and goes up from there. The average home to buy used is now 300,00.00 more than an hour away from Dallas.  The closer you get into Dallas it goes up dramatically, reaching 500,000.00 just north of Dallas. Getting homes in Dallas is even more. If I took 300K to Tulsa I could live like someone spending 500K plus in Dallas. This is why we have so many people commuting from Ok to Tx for work.  There are so many Ok plates driving to Dallas for work (because of much higher pay) and driving back home to Ok to live (because it's so cheap). Not sure where you got your info that it's the same cost of living in Dallas and Tulsa, but you are very wrong. Do some research before you spout off.

Reactions: 4 people
swamt said:
The cost of living in Dallas Tx, is NOT the same as in Tulsa. It is now much more expensive to live in Dallas than it cost to live in Tulsa.  I could move to Tulsa and get a much larger house on land and pay alot less than I could in Dallas Tx.  You obviously are not in tune with the market in Dallas currently.  Communities somewhere between 45 minutes to an hour plus outside of Dallas now starts at mid 200,00.00, and goes up from there. The average home to buy used is now 300,00.00 more than an hour away from Dallas.  The closer you get into Dallas it goes up dramatically, reaching 500,000.00 just north of Dallas. Getting homes in Dallas is even more. If I took 300K to Tulsa I could live like someone spending 500K plus in Dallas. This is why we have so many people commuting from Ok to Tx for work.  There are so many Ok plates driving to Dallas for work (because of much higher pay) and driving back home to Ok to live (because it's so cheap). Not sure where you got your info that it's the same cost of living in Dallas and Tulsa, but you are very wrong. Do some research before you spout off.
This is also a BIG reason that TUL is cheaper than DFW.

https://thetulsan.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/most-boring-town-in-america/

DallasConehead said:
I don't usually defend big planes, he makes management type insinuations at times.  But I think he's making the suggestion that OH guys should get paid a wage structure competing with other state side mro's. 

the problem with his idea is one of the largest MRO in the world is what HE and HIS UNION have been trying to get past in pay. Anyone remember Delta + 7....er 3? Yeah, pretty big MRO there. 

IMHO bigjets should just move to management, he fits in better there. Having a mechanic trying to take food out of other mechanics mouths is a big reason why we, as a craft, have been on a nice down hill path for the last 20+ years. Fighting management is possible. Fights management, other "mechanics" who think they are hot **** because they do a different job than others, and unions like the TWU and IAM.....it just isn't possible. That is why all of us are just going down. The craft is going down. An A&P at a big airline is just a job many don't want to do anymore, and people like bigjets are making sure the few that do are getting **** on as much as possible so that he can make an extra penny. 

Reactions: 3 people
topDawg said:
the problem with his idea is one of the largest MRO in the world is what HE and HIS UNION have been trying to get past in pay. Anyone remember Delta + 7....er 3? Yeah, pretty big MRO there. 

IMHO bigjets should just move to management, he fits in better there. Having a mechanic trying to take food out of other mechanics mouths is a big reason why we, as a craft, have been on a nice down hill path for the last 20+ years. Fighting management is possible. Fights management, other "mechanics" who think they are hot #### because they do a different job than others, and unions like the TWU and IAM.....it just isn't possible. That is why all of us are just going down. The craft is going down. An A&P at a big airline is just a job many don't want to do anymore, and people like bigjets are making sure the few that do are getting #### on as much as possible so that he can make an extra penny.

I'm sorry and excuse me for interrupting. I know that you're PO'd at the guy for making an insinuation that OH should try to compete on a financial playing field with third party MRO's and I 100% disagree with that ridiculousness. But I'm curious?

"An A&P at a big airline is just a job many don't want to do anymore"

Is that really the feeling you and others have? Between the lines of a lot of things said on here over the years I always still got the impression that most of you loved what you do? Most of you guys really know how to dig deep when talking about your craft and all its intricacies. That's kind of an unexpected statement especially coming from you Dawg?

Take away what you want from it and how long it's taken to get back. But aren't you guys now earning around $100,000 with your license premiums without OT? That's FAR more than the average person with a Masters Degree in the US makes. How much was the cost when you started to get that education and those Licences? Back in 95 I remember the school cost about $12,000.

Again not meant to be a pot shot but do you really hate what you do that much?

All kidding aside. I think being an Aircraft Mechanic would have been pretty cool. I just didn't want to be stuck on nights for 10 years and maybe didn't have the focus to go for it. But I do admire you guys that did.

Reactions: 1 person
In spite of all the downside and bs. It's still a great job. I enjoy what I do. We are now making a great wage, although there is more work to do. Some folks will never be happy though. The loudmouth who ***** the most will be the first to cry when they hit the street. In my 26 years, I can count on 1 hand those that have quit and stayed quit.

conehead777 said:
so are you saying the responsibility I take on a airplane is not worth as much because I live in Dallas. Then in a high cost of living area I do not see it that way. The way I see we all should make industry leading pay.
No, he is saying given the cost of living difference for his area what American Airlines pays him does not go as far. He has less buying power.

That happens to be a FACT.

DallasConehead said:
You sir took what I said completely out of context and not going to waste my time on any reply other then this.
I did not imply you supported it.

You stated you understood it.

I simply stated I can't comprehend why someone would agree to work more for less money for the benefit of American Airlines bottom like.

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
Yet another example of you pushing your political agenda aye WeAAsles?

You posting this is about as bad as 700UW posting his "facts" from a Facebook meme.
Political agenda posting that a city is boring???????? WTF is wrong with you?

And I've heard from a lot of people with first hand experience that worked there. They were bored out of their minds and hated it.

My apologies to people who love it there for whatever reason.

dvlhog212 said:
In spite of all the downside and bs. It's still a great job. I enjoy what I do. We are now making a great wage, although there is more work to do. Some folks will never be happy though. The loudmouth who #### the most will be the first to cry when they hit the street. In my 26 years, I can count on 1 hand those that have quit and stayed quit.
Well put.

WeAAsles said:
I'm sorry and excuse me for interrupting. I know that you're PO'd at the guy for making an insinuation that OH should try to compete on a financial playing field with third party MRO's and I 100% disagree with that ridiculousness. But I'm curious?
"An A&P at a big airline is just a job many don't want to do anymore"
Is that really the feeling you and others have? Between the lines of a lot of things said on here over the years I always still got the impression that most of you loved what you do? Most of you guys really know how to dig deep when talking about your craft and all its intricacies. That's kind of an unexpected statement especially coming from you Dawg?
Take away what you want from it and how long it's taken to get back. But aren't you guys now earning around $100,000 with your license premiums without OT? That's FAR more than the average person with a Masters Degree in the US makes. How much was the cost when you started to get that education and those Licences? Back in 95 I remember the school cost about $12,000.
Again not meant to be a pot shot but do you really hate what you do that much?
All kidding aside. I think being an Aircraft Mechanic would have been pretty cool. I just didn't want to be stuck on nights for 10 years and maybe didn't have the focus to go for it. But I do admire you guys that did.
At the risk of putting words into Dawg's mouth, I think he meant that there's not a lot of people that want to become AMT's anymore...

WeAAsles said:
A man living in Brooklyn NY needs to make $180,000 to live the same lifestyle as a guy in Dallas making $100,000.

Then again we really can't compare the lifestyles between NYC and DFW. No contest.

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/
I disagree with you. Tulsa may be one of Americas laid back communities but there is much to offer. The BOK Center downtown has been a true benefit for Tulsa, offering much mainstream entertainment for the peeps. Some events Tulsa offers is the  host of the "Chili Bowl" a popular midget racing event recognized world wide. For fireworks. A short drive up to Grand Lake is the place you want to be for one hell of a show on Duck Creek. Tulsa also offers the Tulsa Tough bicycle races here drawing world wide competitors. Fine dining is also a staple for Tulsa, just a short list, Tulsa is not so bad....

Kev3188 said:
At the risk of putting words into Dawg's mouth, I think he meant that there's not a lot of people that want to become AMT's anymore...
That's because all kids today think Computer Programer or whatever is where the money's at. Lots of kids taking go nowhere courses in College today.

Latest posts