Paranoid anti-gun parents & school's reaction

snapthis

Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
10/03/2013 | By Jonathan Vankin

Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2013 1:03:08 PM by Responsibility2nd

While school districts around the country, in wake of the numerous school shootings that have plagued the United States in recent years, have debated whether to have armed guards on school grounds, one school in Arizona recently told a police officer to leave his gun at home — and for that matter, his uniform as well — when he picks up his daughter.

Scott Urkov got a call from the principal of Entz Elementary School in Mesa, Arizona, after he showed up at the school in his full police uniform including his sidearm.

The cop immediately took to Facebook to express his disbelief.

"Nothing like your kids school calling and asking if I could not come to pick up my daughter in uniform cause parents were concerned when their kids came home telling them there was a man at school with a gun. Are you freaking kidding me?" he posted.

The sight of an armed man — even a fully uniformed police officer — with a handgun on the school grounds was apparently too much for some parents.

"There were some parents who were concerned about that fact that there was a fully armed officer on campus and they spoke to the principal about it," said school spokesperson Helen Hollands.

But not all parents were alarmed. Some told a local Fox TV station that an armed officer on campus was a good thing.

"Even if my kids saw that I think they'd feel more protected to see a man in uniform at their school," sais one parent, Blaine Spencer.

The school has apologized, saying that they didn’t realize that Urkov (pictured) would take the phone call as an affront and now wants to turn the misunderstanding into a “teachable moment.” Urkov has bee invited to speak at the school in his full uniform to explain to kids what police officers do.

As for Urkov himself, he told the Fox reporter that his department advised him “just to let it be,” without further comment.

SOURCES: My Fox Phoenix, Police One

http://www.foxnews.c...ughters-school/

"Letting it be" might not be a bad idea...

And before I get torched, I happen to agree that the school messed up, and I also happen to think a police officer coming to give a talk (should Urkov accept) is actually a good idea.

"Letting it be" might not be a bad idea...

And before I get torched, I happen to agree that the school messed up, and I also happen to think a police officer coming to give a talk (should Urkov accept) is actually a good idea.

I agree, a talk with the students is a good idea.

Kids don't need to be taught to fear the cops. The kids obviously know he's the father of a classmate.

What needs to be addressed is why parents would freak over a law enforcement officer in full uniform would be an issue. Maybe someone drop on down at Sandy Hook and see how they feel.

I wonder how they felt in 1933 when a full uniformed officer was around there children in germany.

How soon we forget, and assume the police are ok, they think like me..!!

What if the school officer was an Obama Special squad officer..? Then how would you feel?

An armed fed in the schools enforcing adherence to Common Core stds!

Now we're talking!

That's a joke, and a jab at Dellusional Dude, so don' go all corkscrew now, ok?

Children, at least by the time they leave the house alone, and definitely by the time they begin driving, should absolutely be taught to be very wary of Law Enforcement.

Kind of in a Trust, about as far as you can throw them, but verify, and don't turn your back on them or drop the soap.

Yeah, there are times they are needed, do great things, and are real heroes.

Times.

Some of them.

Other times, a necessary evil is a pretty good descriptor.

I know and am related to a bunch of 'em. The crap that some of them pull setting people up, getting people to incriminate themselves, and especially getting people to surrender their legal rights and liberties should be the right wing crisis of the year. That issue far outweighs all of the other crap the RWNJM comes up with to sell advertising.

It is real, and it is a real threat to everyone including you, your wife and mother, and your teenage daughter. No, the fact that they are "doing nothing wrong" will not protect them. This is the real Second Amendment argument for the right to keep and bear arms powerful enough to protect yourself from agents of the government. You, all your neighbors, or the entire state of Idaho can't stop Seal Team 6 or The Big Red One. Obama is not coming to your door.

The local Barney's are the real actual present danger to your individual freedom, rights, and liberties.

And they are sneaky about it.

Reactions: 1 person
An armed fed in the schools enforcing adherence to Common Core stds!

Now we're talking!

That's a joke, and a jab at Dellusional Dude, so don' go all corkscrew now, ok?

Children, at least by the time they leave the house alone, and definitely by the time they begin driving, should absolutely be taught to be very wary of Law Enforcement.

Kind of in a Trust, about as far as you can throw them, but verify, and don't turn your back on them or drop the soap.

Yeah, there are times they are needed, do great things, and are real heroes.

Times.

Some of them.

Other times, a necessary evil is a pretty good descriptor.

I know and am related to a bunch of 'em. The crap that some of them pull setting people up, getting people to incriminate themselves, and especially getting people to surrender their legal rights and liberties should be the right wing crisis of the year. That issue far outweighs all of the other crap the RWNJM comes up with to sell advertising.

It is real, and it is a real threat to everyone including you, your wife and mother, and your teenage daughter. No, the fact that they are "doing nothing wrong" will not protect them. This is the real Second Amendment argument for the right to keep and bear arms powerful enough to protect yourself from agents of the government. You, all your neighbors, or the entire state of Idaho can't stop Seal Team 6 or The Big Red One. Obama is not coming to your door.

The local Barney's are the real actual present danger to your individual freedom, rights, and liberties.

And they are sneaky about it.
Iffy2 sounds a little paranoid.