Parker; How Much Longer Will He Last?

monkey see - monkey do.

united saw what delta has done, gobbling up the $4,500 a ticket fliers and added premium seats out of ord to lhr.

some of dl's 767s flying transcontinental are older than what aa retired to the desert.

what is aa doing? getting more deliveries of RJs.

Another issue, at least in the Fleet world, is how DL can lower their overall expense with the use of thousands of Ready Reserve, who are limited in hours, have a different pay scale and no medical benefits.
Every career Fleet Service Clerk I have ever met has had a major surgery. Shoulder, hip, knee, back, even neck. To not offer medical to people who do a job that absolutely breaks you down is shameful.

Every career Fleet Service Clerk I have ever met has had a major surgery. Shoulder, hip, knee, back, even neck. To not offer medical to people who do a job that absolutely breaks you down is shameful.

The reason most "career FSC's" wind up having surgeries is because they chose to make an extremely physical entry level job a career.

The job's no more demanding than it was when they were 20. Trying to push an aging body isn't the company's fault, especially if you ignore the warnings your body is giving you.

The reason most "career FSC's" wind up having surgeries is because they chose to make an extremely physical entry level job a career.

Well eolesen, most people with no education and no job skills feel very fortunate to get a good paying job with benefits. They may not see it as entry level because it offers much better prospects than what they had before. Most young people, as you know, are invincible (at least in their minds) and they are either not thinking of life at 40 on the ramp or assume they will have an easier job like lav man or crew chief by then. By the time they are at the age the health issues start hitting them they feel they have 20 years or so in and don't want to start over as day employees. Since most never invested in education or a trade they feel at 40+ they are too old to start over and any job they took would almost assuredly result in a pay decrease. Though I don't totally disagree with your opinion on the matter I find it a bit heavy handed and harsh.

I will also say this, though you and I both see Fleet Service as a JOB it pays CAREER money. At least in my area it does.

The job's no more demanding than it was when they were 20. Trying to push an aging body isn't the company's fault, especially if you ignore the warnings your body is giving you.
As far as the job not being as demanding I disagree. More people fly now than 20 years ago, and the bags from my understanding are getting much bigger and heavier (as are the passengers). It's not enough to bring toiletries and a change of clothes anymore, now they have to have all the gadgets as well.

As a ramp agent we handle military movement in number of cities n a huge amt of those bags are in excessive of 75lbs bec of military. Electric whlchrs. Ramp jobs at one time was a career i was told way back in 98.

As a ramp agent we handle military movement in number of cities n a huge amt of those bags are in excessive of 75lbs bec of military. Electric whlchrs. Ramp jobs at one time was a career i was told way back in 98.

when i was in school, american airlines set up workshop booths to attract workers...the company spin for 'entry level' workers; good pay (in time), pension, profit sharing, paid sk days, vacations, flying benefits...getting a job with an airline was tantamount to a fire/police job, except for the super pensions of city employees. 9-11 changed all that.

i didn't see mcdonald's or burger king there offering 'entry level' jobs.

you're right about the work, i had a hernia at 27 lifting bags. just like the executive professional getting a hernia lifting weights at the health club after a rigorous game of racquetball.

When i hired on at US they didnt have many openings but ramp. Only operation i endured was a abscess removal from my tail bone. Ive known agents who gotten hurt n cldnt comeback

Well eolesen, most people with no education and no job skills feel very fortunate to get a good paying job with benefits. They may not see it as entry level because it offers much better prospects than what they had before. Most young people, as you know, are invincible (at least in their minds) and they are either not thinking of life at 40 on the ramp or assume they will have an easier job like lav man or crew chief by then. By the time they are at the age the health issues start hitting them they feel they have 20 years or so in and don't want to start over as day employees. Since most never invested in education or a trade they feel at 40+ they are too old to start over and any job they took would almost assuredly result in a pay decrease. Though I don't totally disagree with your opinion on the matter I find it a bit heavy handed and harsh.

I will also say this, though you and I both see Fleet Service as a JOB it pays CAREER money. At least in my area it does.

As far as the job not being as demanding I disagree. More people fly now than 20 years ago, and the bags from my understanding are getting much bigger and heavier (as are the passengers). It's not enough to bring toiletries and a change of clothes anymore, now they have to have all the gadgets as well.

In some ways, the job is much easier than 20 years ago.

If I recall correctly, bags were once overweight at 70 pounds, not 50 pounds, and when bags weren't being charged it seems, as if, there were more of them. We also didn't have power stows avoiding much of the bag tossing wearing on the elbows and shoulders. Far less mail today, as well, with that repetitive motion.

I think serious injuries tend to happen more often to people who don't have the physical builds better suited for the job. Broad shoulders, strong backs, powerful legs aren't the ones typically having major surgeries to replace joints and repair hernias.

I think serious injuries tend to happen more often to people who don't have the physical builds better suited for the job. Broad shoulders, strong backs, powerful legs aren't the ones typically having major surgeries to replace joints and repair hernias.

really? i see professional athletes with these injuries all the time.

in fact, 'sports hernia' is a relative new term due to modern weight training.

when i was in school, american airlines set up workshop booths to attract workers...the company spin for 'entry level' workers; good pay (in time), pension, profit sharing, paid sk days, vacations, flying benefits...getting a job with an airline was tantamount to a fire/police job, except for the super pensions of city employees. 9-11 changed all that.

i didn't see mcdonald's or burger king there offering 'entry level' jobs.

you're right about the work, i had a hernia at 27 lifting bags. just like the executive professional getting a hernia lifting weights at the health club after a rigorous game of racquetball.
Yes i dont know too many entry level jobs that offer a pension.

I had a hernia when i was 6...
Wasnt alliwed to ride a bike for a year

when i was 27, couldn't do something else for 2 months...and it wasn't riding a bike.

simple surgery, but, bad part of your body.

today, i guess the laser is a million times better than getting cut.

Latest posts