Passenger hit gate agent after being denied boarding for refusal to wear a mask.

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
She was first denied boarding at LAX, but then evidently, allowed to board flight to PHX where she was supposed to connect to an LAS flight. Crew had tagged her itinerary and she was refused boarding at PHX,
When she got irate again, police were called. Serves her right.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...agent-after-being-denied-boarding/3362595001/

Hope this makes sense the USA Today report was kind of disjointed and didn't address why she was allowed to board at LAX, but not at PHX Also there was link in the article to a video of the incident, but not operable except to subscribers.

Things like this are going to happen when you put gate agents and flight attendants in the position of having to enforce mask policies.

Far better to just let them finish their itinerary and ban them after the fact. Don't turn the agents or FA's into punching bags when delivering bad news.

And please, don't lecture me about science, safety, etc... Last week, someone punched out a kid making minimum wage at a water park trying to enforce their policy, and he had to have surgery as a result. Someone got killed at a Walmart enforcing their policy.

It's simply not worth putting employees at risk of injury or death over a friggin' mask.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Too
It sounded like she had a mask to board but didn't wear it on the plane, even when asked repeatably by crew. So she was rightfully denied at next gate. Saw the video and she was a piece of work, that is for sure.

Throw her in jail.
Agree with E on the don't put F/A's and gate agents as the enforcer, however once asked to wear the mask first refusal call airport police, simple as that, or maybe call your sup or manager to handle the customers that refuse. Since her itinerary was flagged, they should of had sup or manager with airport police in tow for the denial at the Phx gate period. E's correct, don't turn the frontline employees into punching bags, although this passenger is the one in the wrong and should be arrested for assault and banned for life.

Thanks, Upnaway. I hadn't thought of that (putting on a mask long enough to get on board). How did we become the greatest nation on earth while being populated by so many morons--especially ones that think they can pull a fast one on gate agents and flight attendants. Can't tell you how many times in my career working in the front I was told by a coach passenger..."The agent told me to talk with you about an upgrade to First Class." Control of the upgrade list is a coveted responsibility of the gate agent. How else do you get the pleasure of refusing an upgrade to some joker who strolls up to the gate podium after the upgrade request list has already expanded to 15 or 20 passengers and then tries to use the "do you know who I am" threat.

Reactions: swamt
Things like this are going to happen when you put gate agents and flight attendants in the position of having to enforce policies.

However, if the media will continue reporting these incidents, and people realize that the airlines are serious about the mask issue, I think this sort of occurrence may happen less frequently--particularly if the unruly passenger ends up stranded at an unwanted destination like happened with this passenger. She wanted to go to Las Vegas and ended up in Phoenix (not the same thing at all).

As a matter of fact I've been pleasantly surprised at how little conflict there seems to be regarding the BE section (Basic Economy, aka the "Where is your god now" cabin). I expected flight attendants to be constantly having to move passengers back to the BE section from the unoccupied regular economy seats.

Last edited:
Things like this are going to happen when you put gate agents and flight attendants in the position of having to enforce mask policies.

Far better to just let them finish their itinerary and ban them after the fact. Don't turn the agents or FA's into punching bags when delivering bad news.

Agreed. Agents and F/As didn’t sign up for this. Any mandate needs to come from the federal level.

Agreed. Agents and F/As didn’t sign up for this. Any mandate needs to come from the federal level.

With the federal govt that we have you are not going to get any leadership from them. Understand trump believes this is a democrat hoax and does not understand that 165000 people have died or actually care that they have died.

According to the National Institutes of Health, obesity and overweight together are the second leading cause of preventable death in the United States, close behind tobacco use. An estimated 300,000 deaths per year are due to the obesity epidemic.

According to the National Institutes of Health, obesity and overweight together are the second leading cause of preventable death in the United States, close behind tobacco use. An estimated 300,000 deaths per year are due to the obesity epidemic.
And Covid-19 shuts down the world economy. Obesity, eat your heart out. Makes you think about priorities.

But if you dust a bag of Doritos next to me, I won't gain weight.

Throw her in jail.
Agree with E on the don't put F/A's and gate agents as the enforcer, however once asked to wear the mask first refusal call airport police, simple as that, or maybe call your sup or manager to handle the customers that refuse. Since her itinerary was flagged, they should of had sup or manager with airport police in tow for the denial at the Phx gate period. E's correct, don't turn the frontline employees into punching bags, although this passenger is the one in the wrong and should be arrested for assault and banned for life.
I smell lawsuits by employees getting harmed by these inconsiderates!

With the federal govt that we have you are not going to get any leadership from them. Understand trump believes this is a democrat hoax and does not understand that 165000 people have died or actually care that they have died.

TRUMP 2020!!!