Phl - Atc Will Be The Death Of Us Yet.

Anytime PHL is in an east operation, look for delays. Departure traffic backs up to the point that planes can't get off the ramp, meaning that arriving planes can't get on the ramp - even if their gates are open. Add in having to cross 9L - the departure runway - after landing and the situation is even worse.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Anytime PHL is in an east operation, look for delays. Departure traffic backs up to the point that planes can't get off the ramp, meaning that arriving planes can't get on the ramp - even if their gates are open. Add in having to cross 9L - the departure runway - after landing and the situation is even worse.

Jim
I'm not doubting what you are saying, but I can tell you firsthand as someone you dealt with it in an awesome way yesterday...that 500 ft notam did not help. And the ATC coordination was not the usual, it was deficient and lackluster. Several captains complained about the ATC ground screaming at them over the radio and giving, then rescending commands. The last thing you need in a tight operation like that is some screaming witch who doesn't know what she is doing. Certainly will not get things moving any faster... :unsure:

El Gato,

No disagreement there. In fact, the 500 foot "shortening" could have made matters worse if ATC was using a taxiway short of the end to access the runway - puts the front of the line awaiting departure that much closer to the ramp which means departures back up to the ramp that much sooner. And the ramp repairs at the end of A concourse just make matters worse.

Ramp control is seldom the problem given what they've got to work with spacewise (though there have been a few times they've "lost it" too).

Jim

There are obviously several evils that combine to make PHL the hell that it is. Frankly, I've always thought the place was a mess and did what I could to avoid flying trips that went through there. It's a shame it's this airline's bread and butter.

BoeingBoy said:
Just curious Tom, since I don't go thru there nearly as much as I used to. How many of those times were due to a problem with PIT airport operations vs Express snafu's and/or upline or downline problems?

Jim
I don't really keep track but as I recall they were all weather related. As someone else mentioned PHL never gives up -- they always send me along. Sometimes at a ridiculous hour but they do do it. I do fly slightly more express from PIT -- but I don't see that as a significant factor. Plenty of the miscues have been mainline.

PHL certainly has its problems but IMHO they are, in many cases, greatly overstated. PHL also has some very serious strengths that are grossly underestimated in some corners.

Back