Pilot's MOU could benefit APFA & TWU

Vortilon

Veteran
Jun 22, 2004
USA
This should be interesting. http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/memo-of-understanding-improves-american-airlines-pilot-contract-by-500-million-plus.html/

Here is a link: http://blogs.star-telegram.com/sky_talk/2013/01/details-of-the-mou-for-the-pilots-unions-at-american-and-us-airways-are-released.html

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/for-those-who-seek-such-detail-heres-the-full-mou-with-usapa-and-apa.html/#more-11568

The "me too" is valid till 6 months after bankruptcy exit, that's how.

Or when the equal dollar savings has been implemented. The "or" was stated clearly in the "me too" clause, as well as the word "implemented".

It's been implemented.

The "me too" is valid till 6 months after bankruptcy exit, that's how.

You have got to be kidding me!! Are you saying that the "me too" clause is temp? Time limited? There should never be a die date or temp settting on a "me too" clause. This type of clause is designed and implamented to keep a more "fair" ballance to all union groups. If this is all true; then the co will simply wait until after the 6 month period to implament it, simple as that guys. You guys need to fire the TWU just for agreeing to a die date of a "me too" clause. How pathetically stupid that is... The company will be looking for all kinds of outs for this one. The quote below was taken from the article, it seems to me that Terry Maxon does not believe the other unions will be able to affectively collect on their "temp" "me too" clauses.

"We’ll see if the other American unions, the Association of Professional Flight Attendants and Transport Workers Union, are able to leverage better deals in their contracts under the “me-too” provisions in the contracts they approved in 2012."

It never stops with the TWU. Are they really that stupid? Like I said before; just like the teamsters, just let the TWU force the membership to fire them.

Reactions: 1 person
Wow! I just find it very hard to believe. Can anyone post the verbage concerning the "me-too" clause?

Hasn't been written yet just like most of our contract. We will all know what is says in about seven years or so. Unless AMFA gets in and they will rip into it and try to make the best of it.

Reactions: 2 people
Wow! I just find it very hard to believe. Can anyone post the verbage concerning the "me-too" clause?

It's buried somewhere on a previous thread. It's explicit and clear as to when it drops dead. As I posted, they specifically mention it drops dead on the 6 month time as mentioned above or after the savings have been implemented.

Reactions: 1 person
Here's the me-too letter from AA to APFA:

http://www.apfa.org/images/LBFO/gladingletteraugust102012metootwuv.pdf

The me-too letter's purpose was to give some assurance to workgroups that settling early in the 1113 process wouldn't mean they'd have a worse deal than those who held out, and now that all workgroups have settled on new contracts, that purpose has been fulfilled. The me-too letter was between AA and the workgroups, not US and the AA workgroups.

Parker is willing to offer raises to the pilots - there's nothing stopping the FAs and TWU from asking Parker for more money as well. And they don't need a me-too letter to ask Parker for more money.

Parker is willing to offer raises to the pilots - there's nothing stopping the FAs and TWU from asking Parker for more money as well. And they don't need a me-too letter to ask Parker for more money.

There's nothing stopping anyone from asking Horton either, and nothing stopping him from saying NO. If enough people leave, and the ones that remain give to AA what AA is giving to them he may have a change of heart, but then again maybe he wont.

LETTERS AND MEMORANDA
LETTER OF MEMORANDUM – 7 – ME, TOO, PROVISION
September 12, 2012
Mr. Robert F. Gless
Deputy Director - ATD
AA System Coordinator
Transport Workers Union of America, AFL-CIO
1791 Hurstview Drive
Hurst, TX 76054
“Me, too, provision”
Dear Robert,
During the negotiations that led to the signing of the Agreement between American Airlines, Inc. (“AA” or “the Company”) and the Transport Workers Union of America, AFL-CIO (“TWU”) covering Fleet Service Employees and Ground Service Employees, the Company and the TWU agreed to the following, effective upon ratification of all seven (7) of the TWU Agreements by the TWU membership:
1) Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in this Restructuring Agreement (“Agreement”), the terms of the Agreement shall not become effective until the Company has received approval to implement, through binding agreement, and/or implemented by legal unilateral authority, revisions to (i) the labor contracts of the Company’s other non-TWU unionized employees and (ii) the wages, benefits and working conditions of the Company’s non-union hourly employees and (iii) the wages, benefits and working conditions of the non-union salaried and management employees so that the aggregate revisions in (i),(ii) and (iii) for each individual non-TWU union and non-union employee group are reasonably projected by the Company to produce the targets for labor cost savings specified in the Company’s Section 1113(c) motion.
2) The Company agrees that if the Company fails to implement the changes described in paragraph 1 for any other non-TWU union or non-union employee group, without implementing other changes that are reasonably projected by the Company to achieve equivalent labor cost savings, the Company will meet with TWU to discuss and agree upon a proportionate reduction in projected labor cost savings under the Agreement. This paragraph shall expire upon the earlier of 1) six (6) months after the date the Company emerges from the bankruptcy process; or 2) when the changes described in paragraph 1, or other changes that are reasonably projected by the Company to achieve equivalent labor cost savings, are implemented for all non-TWU union or non-union employee groups.