PIT - Albany, NY ? Best connections?

Treesgal118

Sep 1, 2010
Have to head to Albany, NY in October. Continental, US Airways, United......all their regionals and connections - any best of the worse choice opinions? Thanks!

Have to head to Albany, NY in October. Continental, US Airways, United......all their regionals and connections - any best of the worse choice opinions? Thanks!
Short hops, RJ's. US through PHL and UA through IAD have the shortest travel times. CO is the shortest flight distance but through EWR (hence the somewhat longer travel time). UA may offer E+ and First Class depending on type of RJ. If none of that matters, pick based on price and who has flight at the time of day you want to go. If you happen to belong to any of the three mileage programs, you can credit the miles no matter which you fly since all are in the Star Alliance.

Jim

Thanks - actually time and miles aren't my biggest concern. I think it was 60 Minutes or 48 Hours did that special on Regionals.....(crashes - pilots too tired, get in gate, get out to get paid...) that concerns me. I experienced a horrible flight once on a PIT to Myrtle Beach regional.....and somebody from this board made the remark about pilot hours.........."put your daughter on a flight with a new pilot 1,200 hours - or an experienced pilot with more hours"....yikes!

I never hear anything good about Republic - Mesa and ? I've already forgotten the name. Will check the prices and times, too bad it is such a long drive!

I didn't look at all the possible ways to get from PIT to ALB, but it will probably be hard to avoid a RJ flight about every way there is to get between those cities. As for the RJ's, to be captain on one a pilot has to have at least 1500 hours and there's been so little hiring done by the major airlines in the last decade it's a safe bet the captain will have more than that - 900 hours more or less per year is about average for the guys flying in that type of operation.

Jim

ps - looks like Southwest offers PIT-BWI-ALB. They have no RJ flying - all 737's. Not knowing what date you plan to travel, I just accepted the default date their site put in (10/18/2010) and they had 4 flights although 2 of those connect in Chicago at Midway airport. Other dates may be different. Southwest.com

Reactions: 1 person
Good to know - sorry about the no hiring......but yes it does make sense that more experienced pilots are out there - everywhere. Many of our friends here in Pittsburgh were Captains, they have either moved or are doing something out of their area of expertise, obviously for a lot less money. It is a shame. I will look at the SouthWest flights - I'll take a 737 any day! Many thanks!

Latest posts