Plane skids off runway at LaGuardia

Kev3188 said:

Actually, lots "to see" here. You may not be interested in how the investigation plays out, but I sure am...

BTW, here's the latest release from the NTSB:

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/PR20150309.aspx

Anyone know who does maintenance work for DL in JAX?
Great update, thx Kev.  I do not know who performs the maint in JAX on Delta.  Since your asking I assume it is not Delta doing it huh?  Contractors?  Or another airlines mechanics?  

robbedagain said:
any landing you walk away from is a good landing

again WT  I read both updates and no where did it say the pilots followed the book   you really need to LEARN TO GRASP THINGS bec clearly you don't grasp crap
Agree 100%. Good landing.

WorldTraveler said:
amazing the fascination that some have with other people's personal lives rather than talking about the subject at hand...and specifically that the NTSB has repeatedly said the focus of the investigation is on braking and other systems and not pilot actions outside of DL's established procedures.
You bring it ALL onto yourself, and you still can't see that, you still have to post that your amazed (again trying to deflect from something).  You forgot that they are in fact focused on the decision to make the landing with the weather. 

swamt said:
Great update, thx Kev.  I do not know who performs the maint in JAX on Delta.  Since your asking I assume it is not Delta doing it huh?  Contractors?  Or another airlines mechanics?  
Must be a vendor? I don't know of any carrier that has it's own people (or does any kind of checks) in JAX...

Reactions: 1 person
Kev3188 said:
I think celebrating no fatalities and/or serious injuries goes with out saying?

Any idea who does the mtx work in JAX?
My money is on Flightstar: http://www.flightstarjax.com/customer-list.html

Flightstar provides heavy maintenance and repair services to the commercial aviation industry. Jerry Hernandez, president and CEO, started the company in 2000. Its services include major maintenance inspections; aircraft modifications and upgrades; interior refurbishment and reconfiguration; passenger-to-freighter conversion; and engineering service and support.

Its major customers are Delta Air Lines, FedEx and Southwest Airlines.

In the past five years, it has increased its employees from 350 to 1,100 and has expanded its hangar space to 360,000 square feet with more than 1 million square feet of ramp space.
http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=542412

Looks like it's at Cecil airport (VQQ), not JAX.

It would have been done on an RON while at JAX, not off at an MRO not at the JAX airport.

So it would have to been a vendor at JAX.

Kev3188 said:
Must be a vendor? I don't know of any carrier that has it's own people (or does any kind of checks) in JAX...
and obviously the maintenance condition of the aircraft will be verified regardless of whether it was done in house or not.

since the JAX maintenance visit was months ago and the plane has been in service during some of the worst weather this winter, it is doubtful that any maintenance issues if they are found can be connected to maintenance work that was done months ago.

swamt said:
You bring it ALL onto yourself, and you still can't see that, you still have to post that your amazed (again trying to deflect from something).  You forgot that they are in fact focused on the decision to make the landing with the weather.
no, I get completely that the decision for the pilots to land WAS the most critical decision they made.

but since they landed behind another DL M80, the runway had just been plowed, the NTSB said the landing was within DL training standards, it is still not likely that the issue will be a latent maintenance issue or a pilot decision.

700UW said:
It would have been done on an RON while at JAX, not off at an MRO not at the JAX airport.

So it would have to been a vendor at JAX.
What makes you say that? The report indicates it was the last major maintenance visit, which doesn't necessarily mean it happened on a RON.

it is an absolute given that the aircraft had a lot of maintenance since its JAX visit and it would have been noticed by pilots or mechanics if something was wrong before.

the M80 has the least capabilities to mine data, but DL has an ENORMOUS project to enhance its ability to capture and analyze aircraft and flight performance data.

It is highly unlikely that something had been going on for a period of time and no one knew about it.

Some clueless assumptions made here. Maintenance issues have been known to hide for years before becoming a causal factor in an aviation accident. The list is long.

Reactions: 5 people
yes, I know that CAN happen... but honestly not anywhere close to the norm.

and I said "NOT LIKELY"....

FWAAA said:

That's probably a safe bet. I wandered off into the interwebs to look and that was about all I found. Happy to be corrected with solid info, though.

For those interested, the report states the last RON check was on 3/2 in TPA.

Glenn Quagmire said:
Some clueless assumptions made here. Maintenance issues have been known to hide for years before becoming a causal factor in an aviation accident. The list is long.
True.

Reactions: 2 people
but, again, not likely.

if it comes out to be the case here, I do hope someone will be sure and make sure it is highlighted.

DL TechOps capabilities at TPA

Hours of Operation:

24 Hours

Aircraft Types Covered:

777, MD-88, 767ER 400, 767ER 300, 757, 737

Engine Types Covered:

GE 90, CFM 56, JT 8D, PW 2000, PW 4000, Trent 800, CF6

Line Station Based Services:

Inventory Support, Aircraft Parking, Hangar, On-wing Repair, Defect Rectification, Line/Transit Checks, Layover Checks, Service Checks, A Checks

Additional Services:

Tech Assistance, AOG, Disabled Aircraft Recovery

EASA 145:

Yes

Airport Code:

TPA

WorldTraveler said:
yes, I know that CAN happen... but honestly not anywhere close to the norm.

and I said "NOT LIKELY"....

How long does it take for a steel twist tie to rub through a hydraulic line or power cable?
How long does it take for a bearing failure when the lubes are mixed with petroleum base and synthetic base greases?
How long does it take for a common clamp to fail when it should have been a high temp clamp?

Yes, it is not 'likely' and that's why we have enjoyed decades flying as these failures are reduced.

But it does happen.

B) xUT

Reactions: 2 people
again, those things can absolutely happen.... but the chances are that they went all the way back to the JAX visit is slim to none.

and a key factor that is undoubtedly being considered is the M88s handling capabilities alongside braking issues.

instead of hypothesizing, I'd like to know what else was learned from the AA M80 incident in LIT.