Plane skids off runway at LaGuardia

Interesting first-hand account of the crash landing, along with photos:

http://jasonaspes.tumblr.com/DL1086

He's clearly a frequent flyer and a pretty decent writer.

Love the line at the end:

So I get to the room, plop on the bed, flick on CNN and what do I see? Breaking news of a plane crash… Harrison Ford’s plane.

F-n Harrison Ford, stealing my 15 minutes.
Aspes is an ad-man for Ogilvy & Mather: http://www.ogilvy.com/News/Press-Releases/August-2013-OM-names-Global-Group-CD-for-IHG.aspx

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
again, those things can absolutely happen.... but the chances are that they went all the way back to the JAX visit is slim to none.

and a key factor that is undoubtedly being considered is the M88s handling capabilities alongside braking issues.

instead of hypothesizing, I'd like to know what else was learned from the AA M80 incident in LIT.
Really... :rolleyes:

6 July 1996; Delta MD88; Pensacola, FL: During the takeoff, the left engine sustained an uncontained failure, causing pieces of the engine to penetrate the cabin, killing two of the 137 passengers.

NTSB Report (PDF):
http://www.airsafe.com/events/reports/delta-pensacola-1996-final.pdf

Page 77

3.2 Probable Cause
The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of
this accident was the fracture of the left engines front compressor fan hub, which resulted from
the failure of Delta Air Lines fluorescent penetrant inspection process to detect a detectable
fatigue crack initiating from an area of altered microstructure that was created during the drilling
process by Volvo for Pratt & Whitney and that went undetected at the time of manufacture.
Contributing to the accident was the lack of sufficient redundancy in the in-service inspection
program

Reactions: 4 people
Guess someone has shown to be world fraudster once again making things up.

Same thing with ValuJet DC9 engine failure and the UA Sioux City DC-10 Engine failure that caused the crash.

Guess someone never went though MRM.

Reactions: 2 people
no, we all know about the engine issue at PNS... but it had nothing to do with handling.

I didn't make a statement that it is unlikely that ANY maintenance issues went undetected... my comment was and is about the braking system.

the only fraud is here
700UW said:
Delta doesnt have hangar in TPA and hasnt in several years.
apparently, DL needs to be told that they can't do that kind of maintenance work in TPA without a hangar, let alone at JFK

Hours of Operation:

24 Hours

Aircraft Types Covered:

MD-11, MD-88, DC9, 767ER 400, 767ER 300, 757, 747, 777, 777LR, 737, A340, A330, CRJ

Engine Types Covered:

CF6, GE 90, JT 8D, JT 9D, PW 2000, PW 4000, Trent 800

Line Station Based Services:

Inventory Support, On-wing Repair, Defect Rectification, Line/Transit Checks, Layover Checks, Aircraft Parking, Service Checks, A Checks

Additional Services:

AOG, Tech Assistance, Disabled Aircraft Recovery

EASA 145:

Yes

Airport Code:

JFK

and FWAAA, that account although in a bit more detail matches what has been posted elsewhere.

it again raises the issue about the braking systems, control of the aircraft under compromised field conditions, and the field conditions themselves, which is what I have repeatedly said.

If it turns out otherwise, feel free to let me know.

Your post:

Inventory Support, Aircraft Parking, Hangar, On-wing Repair, Defect Rectification, Line/Transit Checks, Layover Checks, Service Checks, A Checks

DL closed their TPA hangar many years ago.

PEMCO is in it, and they are in the former US Hangar also.

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
oh, please. what a ridiculously stupid comment.

you a little peeved that WN's LGA accident was caused by pilot error but DL's does not appear to be?

the pilots union and DL according to the preliminary NTSB information didn't need to make any calls. They did their job right.

The focus appears to be on braking with weather, runway conditions, and M80 handling still issues to be investigated.

it's actually very gratifying that they have made as much progress as they have in the short amount of time since the accident.
Find help. 

WorldTraveler said:
same dolly used by NW and WN as well?
God you are such a piece of work dude. Get help. For real Get help, lots of it. 

WorldTraveler said:
cheers to you too

all the indications are that this accident was not due to pilot error... either something mechanical or the field conditioned changed enough but the indications are that the crash was not due to pilot error, in contrast to WN's LGA accident.

Neither DALPA or DL needed to call anyone about anything whether on a TV show or in the news.
Get a life. For real, get a life. you need your ass kicked, people got hurt. Quite with the pissing contest bullshit. This could have cost lives and once again you and only are being a grade A douche bag about it. 
Southwest has NOTHING to do with this. 

LD3 said:
let me know, I have not been able to find any other incidents..
had an 88 that ran off the runway before(or taxiway) 

Kev3188 said:

Actually, lots "to see" here. You may not be interested in how the investigation plays out, but I sure am...

BTW, here's the latest release from the NTSB:

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/PR20150309.aspx

Anyone know who does maintenance work for DL in JAX?
probably VQQ. 

southwind said:

Got enough schooling to know better than to vote a union in!

Everyone walked away.....period!
what kind of stupid **** is that? 
a f%&K up is still the same. 

WorldTraveler said:
because they bring them into every investigation.

my preliminary GUESS?

they will find ONCE AGAIN that the M80 has some quirky handling characteristics that once in a rare while create the risk of loss of control.

other planes have unique handling characteristics as well.

Is there some additional information that can be provided to prevent these types of accidents - like AA at LIT.

and I'd also like to know if the same quirks apply to the M90 or 717.

Everything says that AA and DL both learned from the LIT accident and changed and improved their training as a result. can it be refined further and can software or hardware changes be made to further minimize the risk? I don't know but given that the M80 and 90 and 717 are key parts of DL's fleet, I believe DL will want to get to those answers.
Yes and know
Spoiler issue on the MD80? I would think so
the not going 1.3% EPR issue on the MD80 I wouldn't think so because the V2500 and BR715s have normal T/Rs not cans

however i could still sit is being an airflow issue over the stabs so maybe.  

Kev3188 said:
Must be a vendor? I don't know of any carrier that has it's own people (or does any kind of checks) in JAX...
it is but its VQQ they have won a lot of Delta work lately. 

700UW said:
It would have been done on an RON while at JAX, not off at an MRO not at the JAX airport.

So it would have to been a vendor at JAX.
VQQ. Its a gosh damn MRO. 

WorldTraveler said:
it is an absolute given that the aircraft had a lot of maintenance since its JAX visit and it would have been noticed by pilots or mechanics if something was wrong before.

the M80 has the least capabilities to mine data, but DL has an ENORMOUS project to enhance its ability to capture and analyze aircraft and flight performance data.

It is highly unlikely that something had been going on for a period of time and no one knew about it.
You don't know what you are talking about.
honestly please shut up 
like shut up
or i will make you look like a f&%king fool. . 

An airplane can have something happen during an overhaul and 5 year later, 6 months away from the next HMV, crash and kill everyone. You don't know what you are talking about bean counter, so walk away. 

you think that 88 at PNS that crapped its guts happened fresh from overhaul? no. you don't know what you are talking about. 

Reactions: 6 people
WorldTraveler said:
and obviously the maintenance condition of the aircraft will be verified regardless of whether it was done in house or not.

since the JAX maintenance visit was months ago and the plane has been in service during some of the worst weather this winter, it is doubtful that any maintenance issues if they are found can be connected to maintenance work that was done months ago.

no, I get completely that the decision for the pilots to land WAS the most critical decision they made.

but since they landed behind another DL M80, the runway had just been plowed, the NTSB said the landing was within DL training standards, it is still not likely that the issue will be a latent maintenance issue or a pilot decision.
Please stop talking. Just please.... 

WorldTraveler said:
it is an absolute given that the aircraft had a lot of maintenance since its JAX visit and it would have been noticed by pilots or mechanics if something was wrong before.

the M80 has the least capabilities to mine data, but DL has an ENORMOUS project to enhance its ability to capture and analyze aircraft and flight performance data.

It is highly unlikely that something had been going on for a period of time and no one knew about it.
That is completely false. Why don't you explain to us how the anti-skid/braking systems work on the MD-88? 

Glenn Quagmire said:
Some clueless assumptions made here. Maintenance issues have been known to hide for years before becoming a causal factor in an aviation accident. The list is long.
exactly. I can safely say WT is proving to be a complete idiot on these issues. Bean counter life i guess. 

cause its clear he doesn't have a remote clue how airplanes work. Not the smallest of one. 

WorldTraveler said:
yes, I know that CAN happen... but honestly not anywhere close to the norm.

and I said "NOT LIKELY"....
It is more close to the norm than not. You have no friggin clue what you are talking about. 

WorldTraveler said:
but, again, not likely.

if it comes out to be the case here, I do hope someone will be sure and make sure it is highlighted.

DL TechOps capabilities at TPA

Hours of Operation:

24 Hours

Aircraft Types Covered:

777, MD-88, 767ER 400, 767ER 300, 757, 737

Engine Types Covered:

GE 90, CFM 56, JT 8D, PW 2000, PW 4000, Trent 800, CF6

Inventory Support, Aircraft Parking, Hangar, On-wing Repair, Defect Rectification, Line/Transit Checks, Layover Checks, Service Checks, A Checks

Additional Services:

Tech Assistance, AOG, Disabled Aircraft Recovery

EASA 145:

Yes

Airport Code:

TPA
WTF does this have to do with anything? What checks were done on the visit to Tampa if you know so much. 

WorldTraveler said:
again, those things can absolutely happen.... but the chances are that they went all the way back to the JAX visit is slim to none.

and a key factor that is undoubtedly being considered is the M88s handling capabilities alongside braking issues.

instead of hypothesizing, I'd like to know what else was learned from the AA M80 incident in LIT.
You have no clue what you are talking about yet again. When did you get your A&P?

WorldTraveler said:
no, we all know about the engine issue at PNS... but it had nothing to do with handling.

I didn't make a statement that it is unlikely that ANY maintenance issues went undetected... my comment was and is about the braking system.

the only fraud is here
apparently, DL needs to be told that they can't do that kind of maintenance work in TPA without a hangar, let alone at JFK

Hours of Operation:

24 Hours

Aircraft Types Covered:

MD-11, MD-88, DC9, 767ER 400, 767ER 300, 757, 747, 777, 777LR, 737, A340, A330, CRJ

Engine Types Covered:

CF6, GE 90, JT 8D, JT 9D, PW 2000, PW 4000, Trent 800

Inventory Support, On-wing Repair, Defect Rectification, Line/Transit Checks, Layover Checks, Aircraft Parking, Service Checks, A Checks

Additional Services:

AOG, Tech Assistance, Disabled Aircraft Recovery

EASA 145:

Yes

Airport Code:

JFK

and FWAAA, that account although in a bit more detail matches what has been posted elsewhere.

it again raises the issue about the braking systems, control of the aircraft under compromised field conditions, and the field conditions themselves, which is what I have repeatedly said.

If it turns out otherwise, feel free to let me know.
Hey know it all. Tell us what kind of checks
1) the 88 did in VQQ/JAX
2) what id did after the fact
3) what is done during a RON/RAD check. 

I want details. Post the card word for word if you know. If not shut up. 

WT  did u forget the LIT accident was casued primarily by pilot error for a number of reasons

LD your welcome.   I forgotten about the PNS accident.  

robbedagain said:
WT  did u forget the LIT accident was casued primarily by pilot error for a number of reasons

LD your welcome.   I forgotten about the PNS accident.  
Hard to forget when you don't know what you are talking about in the first place

it is great to say I don't know what I am talking about but my suggestion from the beginning was equipment related and that is where the NTSB says they are looking.

feel free to call me wrong but the proof will be whether the report shows I am wrong or not.

I don't deal with hypothetical "the moon could spin out of orbit" kind of talk.

I deal with what actually happens. If this accident was caused by DL pilots failing to do what they were trained to do, let me know.

If the NTSB finds out that there was a latent maintenance issue that went back to the MRO visit, let me know. I'll gladly admit I am wrong.

and, yes, robbed, I believe pilot techniques were trained after LIT to ^let the aircraft^ do the landing....

and also, the spoilers did not deploy according to the pilots even though they were set to auto position before landing.

given that passengers indicated that the plane felt like it was hydroplaning or sliding on ice, it would seem that one question is if that was related to the spoiler deployment.

If dawg wanted to contribute something of value, he could tell us how the M80 spoilers are activated.

Wrong, if its not a CAT 3 approach the pilots must land the plane.

the pilots DID land the flight... but they left a lot in the "auto" position including spoiler deployment.

feel free to use your pass privileges to fly to ATL and let DL's pilot training dept. they cannot set the spoilers to auto deploy.

Latest posts