Plane skids off runway at LaGuardia

Meto,
Were you flying the MD90 when they were first delivered ?
I worked the inaugural flight.  I remembered we had many MD employees on board. 

BABABOOY said:
Meto,
Were you flying the MD90 when they were first delivered ?
I worked the inaugural flight.  I remembered we had many MD employees on board.
Sure was....loved it ..all we flew was out west. Didn't touch ATL for months at at time. Layovers in SNA,San,and BIL. But not the inaugural . But the first group.

metopower said:
Similar in function but 88 brakes are steel and are a pain . 90's are carbon and work great. Now all 88 crews are dual qualified. When I was on it only DFW crews were qualified. At the time we only had the sweet 16.
Didn't SLC also (well after) have a MD90 only base before Delta started qualifying all 88 crews on them? 

metopower said:
Sure was....loved it ..all we flew was out west. Didn't touch ATL for months at at time. Layovers in SNA,San,and BIL. But not the inaugural . But the first group.
I know you have told us before, but what all have you flown? 

Ever think about giving the bus a shot? 

topDawg said:
Didn't SLC also (well after) have a MD90 only base before Delta started qualifying all 88 crews on them? 

Yes ..they moved the 90 to SLC..some time after 2000. Made a lot of sense at the time because all the flying was Hubbing SLC.

7 37-200,300,727-200,757,767-200/300/400,dc10,MD 11, 777,MD 88/90 cv580

NEVER!!!!! Same for the 744

Reactions: 1 person
metopower said:

Yes ..they moved the 90 to SLC..some time after 2000. Made a lot of sense at the time because all the flying was Hubbing SLC.

7 37-200,300,727-200,757,767-200/300/400,dc10,MD 11, 777,MD 88/90 cv580

NEVER!!!!! Same for the 744

Lol if it aint Boeing or Douglas right? 

Gotta say I like the buses. Didn't think i would but so far they have been alright. Much better than 88s and 737s. 

of course none are worse than the 757. Ugh better enjoy screw knocking if you do those checks. (oddly enough though the 757 is my favorite plane to fly. ) 

topDawg said:
Lol if it aint Boeing or Douglas right? 

Gotta say I like the buses. Didn't think i would but so far they have been alright. Much better than 88s and 737s. 

of course none are worse than the 757. Ugh better enjoy screw knocking if you do those checks. (oddly enough though the 757 is my favorite plane to fly. )
The guys that fly them seem to like them...I just like throttles that move so I can see what is going on. I like a control column so I can see what the other guy is doing. My contention is that if you can see throttle position and control position it is easy to see that you are in a full stall without looking at an instrument. Plus your body position can hide your view of what the other guy is inputting into the controls on the Airbus....just my opinion..and you know what they say about that.
For you I bet they are easier to work on.

metopower said:
The guys that fly them seem to like them...I just like throttles that move so I can see what is going on. I like a control column so I can see what the other guy is doing. My contention is that if you can see throttle position and control position it is easy to see that you are in a full stall without looking at an instrument. Plus your body position can hide your view of what the other guy is inputting into the controls on the Airbus....just my opinion..and you know what they say about that.
I hear this from quite a few Boeing guys.
When asking the airbus guys who came from the 767 they say, oh you get use to it lol
just doesn't seem safe.    One pilot can be lowering the nose with the joystick and the other doing the
opposite and all you have is an audible alarm?  No feeling?   again doesn't seem safe.

BABABOOY said:
I hear this from quite a few Boeing guys.
When asking the airbus guys who came from the 767 they say, oh you get use to it lol
just doesn't seem safe.    One pilot can be lowering the nose with the joystick and the other doing the
opposite and all you have is an audible alarm?  No feeling?   again doesn't seem safe.
I feel like that was part of the problem in the AF 330 that crashed into the ocean out of GIG. 
Might be wrong though, memory isn't all that good anymore. 

metopower said:
yeah the fact that the throttles don't move when its on auto throttle bugs me honestly. That is one thing about Boeing I like better. I would have an issue with it if I was flying the bus. 

but it is very good about just telling me what is wrong.

metopower said:
They are nice to work on. But those damn fasteners. Somebody's brother in France must own that Torque-set patent.

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts