Plane skids off runway at LaGuardia

WorldTraveler said:
WN's LGA accident was caused by pilot error but DL's does not appear to be...the pilots union and DL according to the preliminary NTSB information didn't need to make any calls. They did their job right.
Apparently not.

WorldTraveler said:
the pilots' aspect of the landing was per DL safety and training...
With the EPR readings from the FDR, It clearly was not.

WorldTraveler said:
plz be sure and let me know if the case turns towards a focus on the pilots.
That may be now.

Reactions: 4 people
Until the final report comes in, it does no good to place blame on anyone...

As for the NTSB wanting to look over the airports snow plan and methodology, the FAA is the agency that signs off on the snow plan, we do a presentation to local ATC, we give them our preferred equipment routing and plan of action. Whether we go to a liquid operation followed by a solid operation or solid then liquid, it all depends on what's on the ground and what is forecasted. We do a braking action after we are done working a runway, those numbers are relayed to  the big tower and then the runway is inspected and released.. Once we get a nil breaking report from a flight crew the runway is closed until numbers are brought back up...

LD3 is correct that it doesn't do any good to place blame until after the investigation, but if the NTSB is releasing the EPR setting information, then that part of the investigation is complete.

And no, it doesn't appear that "the pilots' aspect of the landing was per DL safety and training" unless DL's safety and training ignores the manufacturer's recommendations on max EPR for both a clean as well as a contaminated runway.

All pilots are fallible. Even DL pilots.

Reactions: 6 people
That was my point E. Any number of factors could have led to the high EPR on the engines.

Of course we had one, only one, here who decided to make a stupid statement that everything Delta had done was "textbook".

having done powerbacks in the Super 80, I know it is a learned skill to keep the EPR low while lifting the thrust levers. Of course I did not do it every day like the professional Delta MD80 pilots do.

I do know rigging them is a challenge that takes experience. Knob split can add to the challenge of keeping both engines at equal thrust. Doing it while landing in a snowstorm on a contaminated runway is where those guys earn their pay.

Reactions: 3 people
LD3 said:
Until the final report comes in, it does no good to place blame on anyone...

As for the NTSB wanting to look over the airports snow plan and methodology, the FAA is the agency that signs off on the snow plan, we do a presentation to local ATC, we give them our preferred equipment routing and plan of action. Whether we go to a liquid operation followed by a solid operation or solid then liquid, it all depends on what's on the ground and what is forecasted. We do a braking action after we are done working a runway, those numbers are relayed to  the big tower and then the runway is inspected and released.. Once we get a nil breaking report from a flight crew the runway is closed until numbers are brought back up...

OT: What type of equipment do you guys have at your airfield for the braking reports?

Glenn Quagmire said:
having done powerbacks in the Super 80...
That takes me back...

Reactions: 1 person
LD3 is correct that it doesn't do any good to place blame until after the investigation, but if the NTSB is releasing the EPR setting information, then that part of the investigation is complete.

And no, it doesn't appear that "the pilots' aspect of the landing was per DL safety and training" unless DL's safety and training ignores the manufacturer's recommendations on max EPR for both a clean as well as a contaminated runway.

All pilots are fallible. Even DL pilots.
a lot of people here might be surprised to find I agree with you.

It appears that the focus on the EPR information in the NTSB's latest report provides indications of where they think the final report will go.

It isn't a surprise that the NTSB is looking in more depth at runway conditions and process to maintain it but it is a surprise that they are looking at the emergency evacuation. Not sure where it will go but maybe they will take on the issue of what passengers carry off of aircraft in emergency evacuations... among other issues.

as for powerbacks, I don't think DL has ever done them but EA did along with other carriers. I watched a catering truck get blown over by a powerback.

Kev3188 said:
OT: What type of equipment do you guys have at your airfield for the braking reports?
That takes me back...
For winter ops, I believe Ops uses a Bowmonk, for rubber removal Field Maintenance uses a skiddometer for rubber removal friction testing.

Glenn Quagmire said:
That was my point E. Any number of factors could have led to the high EPR on the engines.
Of course we had one, only one, here who decided to make a stupid statement that everything Delta had done was "textbook".
having done powerbacks in the Super 80, I know it is a learned skill to keep the EPR low while lifting the thrust levers. Of course I did not do it every day like the professional Delta MD80 pilots do.
I do know rigging them is a challenge that takes experience. Knob split can add to the challenge of keeping both engines at equal thrust. Doing it while landing in a snowstorm on a contaminated runway is where those guys earn their pay.
Well said.. You can do everything right and still have a bad outcome in those conditions. Sh t happens.

The flight crew (pilots & FAs both) along with employees from the ramp/gate/maintenance that assisted with this incident were presented with awards yesterday for their efforts.

Kev3188 said:
The flight crew (pilots & FAs both) along with employees from the ramp/gate/maintenance that assisted with this incident were presented with awards yesterday for their efforts.
and just in case anyone didn't know the airplane has been broken up. 

there is a photo on the internet somewhere of it being floated away from LGA. 

Kev3188 said:
I knew it was off the AOS list, but didn't know it was gone. Thanks for that...
wish i could find the picture but i can't remember where I saw it. 

IIRC it was a pic of NYC and the plane just happened to be in the back ground. 

Latest posts