Problems In Phl?

When CO bought the assets of Frontier, I worked line in Denver for a few months until Piedmont picked me up. This was in 86 if I remember correcltly. CO was hiring baggege handlers for a little over minimum wage. Can't give the exact pay they received but it less than the other carriers in Den. The turn over rate was running about 23% PER MONTH!!! Something in the order of 250% a year... I was there, I saw it. Flight benefits arn't what their cut out to be once you see the work required, in all weather conditions for that wage. If that is what you are looking for by hiring new people at low wages, that is what you can expect. And the damage done to aircraft and ground equipment, not much guessing required. I helped patch more than one hole punched in the belly under the cargo doors. These are not 57 chevys we are working on around here. these are expensive and complex pieces of machinery. If you want exacting work done right, you pay for it. Find the problem in Philly and fix it. Cutting a wage will NOT fix any problem I can think of...
Be careful what you wish for, It might come true....

TAD -

MidAtlantic flights will use mainline gates.

To those that were talking payscales and such. I remember being in that 18-22 age bracket when I started. I started at 6.50 an hour - part time. My "B scale" pay didn't merge with "A scale" until my 11th year and top out was in 22 years. Top out pay was 18.00 an hour. Then the merger happened and the payscale changed. Now I merged with A scale at 6 years and topped out in 12 at 18.75 (if my memory is correct.) The PI B scale was brutal, but they had no problem recruiting agents to work for those wages - while airlines like US were paying more. It was all about company culture and company pride. People were willing to work for less and with smaller raises because the company was a great place to work.

Just as with customers.....if you have a great product they will come.