profit Sharing?

Great I hope we see profit sharing. So far its all talk and unfulfilled promises , same as being compensated and treated like Delta employees. The mechanics have not seen it. I am happy for those of you who have.

Yep, I predicted about 15 minutes of labor peace from this announcement, and you guys proved it in 13.

It's interesting that this isn't contractual. It's even more interesting to me that you guys piss and moan about losing something in 2003, and yet you're still working for AA and still paying the same worthless bargaining representatives. Mom used to say "crap or get off the pot". If you hate it so much, leave. There are others willing to take your place.

The cold hard fact here is that the unions didn't get you your PS back.

Management gave it to you. Sure, they could take it away, but I'd guess that this management team won't.

Maybe it's time to re-think that union card. The guys at DL without one seem to be doing just fine.

Reactions: 2 people
PS was a company benefit when first announced during Crandall era. Somehow the TWU made it a contractual issue. Then we lost it altogether. Now we will see if history will repeat itself.

eolesen said:
Yep, I predicted about 15 minutes of labor peace from this announcement, and you guys proved it in 13.It's interesting that this isn't contractual. It's even more interesting to me that you guys piss and moan about losing something in 2003, and yet you're still working for AA and still paying the same worthless bargaining representatives. Mom used to say "crap or get off the pot". If you hate it so much, leave. There are others willing to take your place.The cold hard fact here is that the unions didn't get you your PS back.Management gave it to you. Sure, they could take it away, but I'd guess that this management team won't.Maybe it's time to re-think that union card. The guys at DL without one seem to be doing just fine.
Have to disagree with you a bit on who was responsible for the PS plan. I believe the pilots showing their anger toward the company's greed the past few months may have played a part in the decision to implement (the most frugal in the industry) PS plan. Of course it couldn't just be for the pilots as the rest of the employees would hurt the bottom line with their dissatisfaction.
Sure it isn't contractual but I do believe the Pilots union forced their hand.

Reactions: 4 people
eolesen said:
Yep, I predicted about 15 minutes of labor peace from this announcement, and you guys proved it in 13.

It's interesting that this isn't contractual. It's even more interesting to me that you guys piss and moan about losing something in 2003, and yet you're still working for AA and still paying the same worthless bargaining representatives. Mom used to say "crap or get off the pot". If you hate it so much, leave. There are others willing to take your place.

The cold hard fact here is that the unions didn't get you your PS back.

Management gave it to you. Sure, they could take it away, but I'd guess that this management team won't.

Maybe it's time to re-think that union card. The guys at DL without one seem to be doing just fine.
Here's the difference.. DL has always operated non union. They treat people the way they do to keep unions off the property, except for the pilots. Now, to take a company which has been heavily unionized for decades and give them the gift of no unions, it will be like kids in a candy store for the company. It will not be the same culture. 

MetalMover said:
Here's the difference.. DL has always operated non union. They treat people the way they do to keep unions off the property, except for the pilots. Now, to take a company which has been heavily unionized for decades and give them the gift of no unions, it will be like kids in a candy store for the company. It will not be the same culture. 

In reality, DL's non-union employees DO benefit from unions.  The mere threat of the union "encourages" management to keep their non-union people on par.  

In effect, DL's non-union employee groups are riding on the coat-tails of the union employees from other airlines.

Reactions: 3 people
MetalMover said:
Now, to take a company which has been heavily unionized for decades and give them the gift of no unions, it will be like kids in a candy store for the company. It will not be the same culture.
It would definitely change the culture, but could it really be any worse?

And I'll disagree -- it won't be kids in the candy store.

If anything, the company would do what it could to avoid a future representation vote.

Reactions: 1 person
eolesen said:
It would definitely change the culture, but could it really be any worse?

And I'll disagree -- it won't be kids in the candy store.

If anything, the company would do what it could to avoid a future representation vote.
I beg to differ. 

Reactions: 3 people
AirwAr said:

In reality, DL's non-union employees DO benefit from unions.  The mere threat of the union "encourages" management to keep their non-union people on par.  

In effect, DL's non-union employee groups are riding on the coat-tails of the union employees from other airlines.
True, but DL has different management. To assume that other management who suddenly found themselves not having to deal with unions would be all open arms and do anything to keep everyone happy is assuming a bit too much.

AirwAr said:

Exactly right.

In fact, any non-union laborer  who works a "standard" 40-hour work week, and gets time-and-a-half for overtime, paid vacation, paid sick leave, health insurance, etc. is riding on the coattails of unions, in general.  These work "standards" did not come out of the goodness and generosity of the company owners, although too many delude themselves into thinking just that.

Reactions: 5 people
MetalMover said:
True, but DL has different management. To assume that other management who suddenly found themselves not having to deal with unions would be all open arms and do anything to keep everyone happy is assuming a bit too much.
Richard Anderson was at heavily-unionized Northwest from 1990 until 2004 and then in 2007, he became CEO of Delta, overseeing the merger of DL with his former company, NW.   Upon his arrival at DL, he suddenly had a non-union workforce (except, of course, the pilots and dispatchers).   

Is there any evidence that he has acted the part of "kid in a candy store" with respect to the DL workforce over the past nine years?   

FWAAA said:
Richard Anderson was at heavily-unionized Northwest from 1990 until 2004 and then in 2007, he became CEO of Delta, overseeing the merger of DL with his former company, NW.   Upon his arrival at DL, he suddenly had a non-union workforce (except, of course, the pilots and dispatchers).   

Is there any evidence that he has acted the part of "kid in a candy store" with respect to the DL workforce over the past nine years?   
By the time he became CEO pretty much all airline workforce was decimated everything was gutted already even non union DL. Plus he was trying to keep the unions out there were a few drives going on in those years. I agree with Metal given the opportunity the company would cut as many jobs as possible. How many  airline jobs were lost the last twenty years? Oh and those Ready Reserves at 50% of the workforce is pretty sweet to management probably cheaper than a contract company

FWAAA said:

He may have stuck with the program coming off of freshly destroying the mechanics. And not rock the boat. Who knows. We currently have caps on outsourcing as per our labor agreements. DL can change that at will. Outsourcing creates job loss.
I can tell you for sure that I work with mechanics who did work do DL. One of the things they complained about was working overtime for instance.  They did not go by amount of hours one has, rather who they "liked." Might as well be in management.

Nince union propoganda but mostly untrue. Most of those came about by business owners like Henry Ford competing against other business owners.

Latest posts