Prop 8 over turned in CA

Ms Tree

Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
No links yet but CNN and FOX both reported that the the judge over turned the ban on gay marriage. Two highlights were mentioned. First that you cannot ban a right that was already granted and second that making an arbitrary limit on who can get married violates the 14th amendment.

The case will now be sent to the appellate court and then to the SCOTUS. I believe that the SCOTUS will have to accept this case (even though they really do not want to) and I think they will uphold the reversal. There is no legal basis in the COTUS that can be used to deny a segment of society equal rights.

I hope that this ruling stands. I would hate to think that my civil rights granted by the COTUS can be taken away by a vote.

Reactions: 6 people
Prop. 8 delay: California court will decide if gay-marriage foes can appeal

The California Supreme Court said Wednesday that it will take up the question, hearing oral arguments no earlier than September.

Lawyers for the two couples that had first challenged Prop. 8’s constitutionality argued before the Ninth Circuit that neither the clerk nor Protect Marriage have any right to speak for the state of California. They also noted that the US Supreme Court has ruled that the proponents of a ballot initiative in Arizona did not have standing to defend it in federal court.

Reactions: 2 people
Still waiting for examples of progressives taking away equal rights and me being a liar.

Reactions: 1 person
First off, I said change the word civil to equal rights. It was poor wording on my part in the original post referring to 'civil' rights. I do think the idea of civil and equal/political rights are fairly intertwined. Due to the 14th amendment I do not think it is legal to take away the civil rights on one person/group while allowing other groups to keep theirs. How ever, to keep the troops happy, you can use equal or political rights if that makes you happy.

The reason that the Prop 8 is headed to the SCOTUS is that voting away the civil/equal rights of one segment of society violated the 14th amendment.

Secondly, the question I asked was in response to your reply that progressives do it (vote away rights everyday). Can you cite an example where progressives/liberals have voted way equal/civil rights?

Reactions: 2 people
First off, I said change the word civil to equal rights. It was poor wording on my part in the original post referring to 'civil' rights. I do think the idea of civil and equal/political rights are fairly intertwined. Due to the 14th amendment I do not think it is legal to take away the civil rights on one person/group while allowing other groups to keep theirs. How ever, to keep the troops happy, you can use equal or political rights if that makes you happy.

The reason that the Prop 8 is headed to the SCOTUS is that voting away the civil/equal rights of one segment of society violated the 14th amendment.

Secondly, the question I asked was in response to your reply that progressives do it (vote away rights everyday). Can you cite an example where progressives/liberals have voted way equal/civil rights?

HC reform bill is a good place to start.
You call/refer to equal or civil rights as what is defined in the Constitution, I think thats stetching the definition a little, where civil rights come from an act passed by Congress which is probably a violation of the Constitution in some areas, which has never been tested.