Proposed VX reality show

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704416904575121712298983230.html?mod=loomia&loomia_si=t0:a16:g2:r4:c0.018872:b31918014

Virgin America is putting two long-standing marketing credos to the test: Sex sells—and there's no such thing as bad publicity.

The U.S. carrier, which has been losing money since its launch in 2007, is hoping to get an inexpensive lift from a new reality show, "Fly Girls," featuring five of its female flight attendants who bicker, party, pout, flirt and worry about their love lives while living together in a sumptuous "crash pad."

Beats "Airline" with the daily drunk being kicked off WN!

Groan! Call me prudish but I'm getting a little tired of the gazillion hours on TV devoted to sex lives of flight attendants, celebrities, accountants, etc. This glut of reality shows giving everyone "15 minutes of fame" is bringing TV to the ultimate "wasteland" it was called decades earlier.

If the cable networks really want to do a reality show, I would like to see it more along educating the public as to the inner workings of an airline. How about a show detailing how operations(dispatch, crew sked, etc) works. That way maybe Joe Public would get a better insight as to how an airline makes certain decisions and why the issues ops must face when deciding on whether to cancel or delay their flights.

On the other hand such a show wouldn't have the excitement and thrill of "Jersey Shore" so it would probably tank rather quickly in the ratings. It would still be more informative and of more value than an MTV version of the lives of FAs.

Just my $.02

'Fly Girl' Reality Show

WSJ online

"Fly Girls" will make its debut March 24 on the CW Network, a joint venture between Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corp., and run weekly for eight half-hour episodes. It also will appear on Virgin America's inflight entertainment systems.

The U.S. carrier, which has been losing money since its launch in 2007, is hoping to get an inexpensive lift from a new reality show, "Fly Girls," featuring five of its female flight attendants who bicker, party, pout, flirt and worry about their love lives while living together in a sumptuous "crash pad."
:lol:

The Association of Flight Attendants union, the nation's largest, said it is "disappointed ["Fly Girls"] appears to portray flight attendants as party girls in search of fun and adventure."

Virgin America's Ms. Gale says all of their flight attendants, who are nonunion, are focused on "safety and making sure it's a positive guest experience."

The five Fly Girls received a stipend from the production company during the four months of filming. All are now back to flying full time.