Public Rebuke of US Airways CEO

Specter, other Pa. lawmakers issue a public rebuke of US Airways CEO.
'Half of what was said couldn't be printed in a newspaper'

Visit Website

Linemech

Looks like the hard reality of actually having to run an airline versus just "doing a deal" to create one may be causing Doug some heart burn these days. He wanted to play with the big boys - so now he is - and it looks like he may not quite be up to the task of running a real airline.

US Airways Management is without conscience. I can't help but wonder if they are setting PHL up for a massive, staged operational implosion and subsequent exit altogether.

They've made it abundantly clear since the merger that they can't handle the people in PHL and given the way things are going, I'm smelling a set up as well.

Rumors have been running rampant about them setting up a hub elsewhere and operationally it would make more sense for them. They're just looking for a reason

There is no place else to move the international service that will yield the same loads and profits. (And let's not start with the old PIT whining. PIT flat-out won't work. It doesn't have the O&D because it's metro area population and industry is puny compared to PHL. Fact of life. Get OVER it already.)

USAirways viability as a stand-alone carrier is married-for-life, until-death-do-us-part to Philadelphia. The only way Doogie will pull the plug on the bulk of international service from PHL is by merger. That's not to say that he won't simply maintain the status quo on international destination and cancel Beijing; if he doesn't get his way with the gate, or come up with another workable solution, I doubt there will be any new European cities added and a few will likely lose service to avoid the nesting of gates that we saw last summer.

Business is business. Doogie said he would not put up with another summer of abysmal international service which he blamed on the nesting. He's right, we cannot afford to do that again. If PHL doesn't solve the problem, the only alternative is self-help in the way of shrinking international service.

But in no way is the bulk of the PHL hub going anywhere simply because there is no other viable "anywhere" to go.

US Airways Management is without conscience. I can't help but wonder if they are setting PHL up for a massive, staged operational implosion and subsequent exit altogether.

They've made it abundantly clear since the merger that they can't handle the people in PHL and given the way things are going, I'm smelling a set up as well.

Rumors have been running rampant about them setting up a hub elsewhere and operationally it would make more sense for them. They're just looking for a reason

Did anyone read DoUgIes statement.

Mr. Parker said past commitments from the airline were made by a different leadership and couldn't be applied in today's business climate. Pittsburgh's airport, he said, is a remnant of the outdated "hub-and-spoke" system of air travel, which can't compete with low-cost airlines that fly directly between cities.

Is that writing on the wall for CLT, PHL, LAS, and PHX?

While I think that the Hub systems of all Airlines have changed over the years, I can't see them going away completly. There are plenty of city pairs that can support direct service, but many more that can't. If Hub's are phased out there will be a lot of smaller cities without service. Some cities that are located within close range of a major city can pull some traffic such as the SWA efffect, but lots more that can't.
As far as PHL going away as a Hub, I seriously doubt it even if there is a merger in the future. As big a dump as PHL is, it makes money due to the large O&D traffic that it has. Maybe they can relocate the PHL Hub to ABE...... :rolleyes:

Did anyone read DoUgIes statement.

Mr. Parker said past commitments from the airline were made by a different leadership and couldn't be applied in today's business climate. Pittsburgh's airport, he said, is a remnant of the outdated "hub-and-spoke" system of air travel, which can't compete with low-cost airlines that fly directly between cities.

Is that writing on the wall for CLT, PHL, LAS, and PHX?

That paragraph jumped out at me, too.

If Parker really believes that the hub-and-spoke system is "outdated", then why does he still insist on making every passenger traveling from the northeast to Florida and the islands pass through PHL -- instead of flying them point-to-point, like the airlines with whom he claims he can't compete?

In trying to justify his abandonment of PIT, he utterly contradicted himself -- or just plain bare-faced lied -- in front of two United States senators, by describing the very way he runs his own airline on a day-to-day basis as "outdated".

doug and his gang out west are nothing but two faced liars and it is time for them to go.

While I am in NO WAY a supporter of the the PA government all the time, these boys from Arizona are NO MATCH for these guys. I have said it before and will stick to the fact that Usairways has NO GAME. They have no power with polititians or other carriers. The threat they try to hang over the city of Philadelphia, the airport, the people and the government will blow up in their faces. US pulling out of PHL would be the the death of this airline as a stand alone. The issues of what they did to PIT being bad business management is a different topic entirely. This airline has shot themselves in the foot. They are NOT heavy hitters nor BIG players in the states eyes. MOVE it all to CLT and see how well you do ignoring the Northeast traffic and the "crown jewel" of your system. We might as well all look for new jobs NOW. :rolleyes: So Parker and boy wonder get B!tch slapped by PA......next?

'Mr. Parker said US Airways would always be Pittsburgh's largest carrier.

"OK, write that down," Mr. Specter told reporters.

"That is our hope," Mr. Parker said.

Mr. Specter responded: "That's different."'

Can anybody trust Parker?

'Mr. Parker said US Airways would always be Pittsburgh's largest carrier.

"OK, write that down," Mr. Specter told reporters.

"That is our hope," Mr. Parker said.

Mr. Specter responded: "That's different."'

Can anybody trust Parker?

The short answer is "no".

DoUgIe had two years to fix operational problems and he squandered it on creating "shareholder value" by taking those items that weren't broken and dismantling them. He replaced things that were good with things that were cheap. He was more worried about uniforms and pie than he was about baggage and morale. He's like a lot of people that I've worked for in the past: He's concerned about numbers and not about people, because numbers are much easier to manipulate and people are not.

I think the employees are wise to you, DoUgIe, just like the flying public, the politicians and the airport authorities.

I'm sure the DOT could yank PHL-PEK service from US easily with a request from the state congressional delegation and award it to someone else, whether US flies it or not. Threatening to abandon a route because you aren't getting what you want from an airport authority only works so many times (i.e. PIT).

DoUgIe always tells whomever will listen, "I've been doing this for a long time." That tells me two things:

1) You've gotten away with doing a substandard job for far too long,

2) You are unable or unwilling to change how you do business.

No one can or should trust Parker, period.

View attachment 6738

Hmmm...did everyone take a REAL CLOSE LOOK at that photo? Is Arlen mad at Doogie because:

A.) He's lying...
B.) He's cheating the state of Pennsylvania
C.) He's drinking a beer made in Newark, New Jersey.

Tough decision...fill er' up dag nabbit!

Later,
Eye