QANTAS Grounds A380 Fleet after loss of engine cover

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
QANTAS A-380 made emergency landing in Singapore after engine cover came off right after takeoff from Singapore. QANTAS grounds entire A380 fleet until cause known.

Story here

Uh-oh! Uh-oh! Rain-man, where are you?

Seriously, this could have been disastrous if one of those expelled engine parts had taken a slightly different path out of the engine casing.

Not only for the pax. Qantas, Airbus and certainly the air cargo industry.

Interesting that LH & SQ have chosen to continue flying their A380 planes w/ the Rolls engine in question.

Ah well, I'm just windmilling here because foreign airline topics never draw a crowd on this board....

Interesting that LH & SQ have chosen to continue flying their A380 planes w/ the Rolls engine in question.

From what I've read, SQ did do an inspection and found no problems while Quantas found 3 engines that were removed for further study. LH did choose to keep the A380 flying and do the inspections as the planes went through checks. I also understand that Quantas is the only carrier that picked a higher thrust version to the Trent 900 but haven't seen anything but speculation that that may be behind the problems they have found.

Jim

A new article says SQ has taken 3 A380's out of service to replace one engine each after finding oil leaks (which QF found also) while LH is changing one engine for an undisclosed reason "not related to the other engine changes".

Jim

Back