Question About The New 757 Re-config ?

Yeah those seats. This past Sunday, the 630am departure from PHL to MCO had a full airplane. Of the 26 F/C seats, only 6 of the were sold. The other 20 seats were to people who paid coach class type fares. Along with all the other waste of money issues with the 757's, Marketing needs to restrict this aircraft to money making operations not a low fare/yield market. On DL, a B767-300 doesnt even have that many first Class seats.....Great Job, Marketing! ! !

Hope777 said:
Yeah those seats. This past Sunday, the 630am departure from PHL to MCO had a full airplane. Of the 26 F/C seats, only 6 of the were sold. The other 20 seats were to people who paid coach class type fares. Along with all the other waste of money issues with the 757's, Marketing needs to restrict this aircraft to money making operations not a low fare/yield market. On DL, a B767-300 doesnt even have that many first Class seats.....Great Job, Marketing! ! !
Maybe the only reason a lot of those people were flying US at all was because once in a while they get to sit in those seats, even if it's on their yearly trip south. Otherwise, who the heck would want to deal with US in PHL if they have any other options at all? And I can't help but wonder how that 6 sold number compares to any other 321 routes. I have been on several transcons lately where the cabin was close to full, in coach or first. Anyone buying a true first class fare on US these days (other than the promotional discounted ones) needs to have their head examined. US has greater problems than a full 321 even if it is only low yield.

vistajet said:
If all the parts and things are in CLT, why is the conversion work being done at PIT? Or is this just another example of poor planning and waste?

It gets worse, as of yesterday they are planning to move the 757 c check from clt to pit. We'll have to dedicate a daily flight just for moving parts to pit to support this. And as of yesterday the brilliant marketing folks want the ife reinstalled in the 737/3/4, ( now that we have removed it from approx 1/2 the fleet ). It doesn't take much to figure out where all the money is going, Dave and his band of merry men are throwing it out the window.
Just a few comments.

(1) As stated earlier 671 was in fact pushing out of the CLT hangar monday afternoon when N626AU spotted it up against the blast fence.

(2) 650 was nosed into Bay 3 as a line drop-in....and 670 was delayed going into bay 3 becasue of this taking place

It's more than obvious that our leadership as no clue on how to run it's maintenance operation. When work shifts from the primary point of support? This is creating waste , time problems and silly , ill-advised expendatures of funds we frankly don't have to play with.

Seigel couldn't make money fast enough to off-set the stupidity that's taking place...and I'm not sure that this isn't part of the plan? From my seat , it looks like an attempt to further deepen the hole...thus creating an enviroment further justifying the needs to ask more from the employees....or mandating fewer employees in the first place.

I firmly believe that we are in a spiral of self-mutilation in hopes of creating justification for extreme acts against the rank and file

BTW , DellDude , Leave the Iron City Beer alone....it's showing in your typing and reasoning skills. :p PIT is being tossed a bone for the moment. The hammer is clearly hanging over your heads....and I'm sad to see this as so.

mbmb....Those people didnt use upgrades or anything. I had the chance to look at the Stanby List, they were all Oversales in coach. Looking at some of them, they cleary fly once a year. And yes AOG-how does our Maintenance Leaders still have jobs. They waste more money then we can make. You guys do double work on the same aircraft, ever wonder why our costs are high?

Hope777 said:
mbmb....Those people didnt use upgrades or anything. I had the chance to look at the Stanby List, they were all Oversales in coach. Looking at some of them, they cleary fly once a year. And yes AOG-how does our Maintenance Leaders still have jobs. They waste more money then we can make. You guys do double work on the same aircraft, ever wonder why our costs are high?
Hope777,

These people still have jobs based on one reason and one reason only. They are willing to show defiance to conventional wisdom and logic....yet lack the stones to say no to whom is really calling the shots.

My theory is this. Maintenance is being made to look like a distructive force...in hopes of Upper most management being able to present a case against the IAM on the Airbus outsourcing issue.

I firmly believe the company (Seigel) knows that he's going to lose the battle in PHL on January 13th...so it's time to build a case (Falsely Created) to prepare for yet another higher court to hear their arguements.

I have been told by certain sources in certain circles that Seigel is in fact prepared to wage his war against the IAM and its members at any cost..should this go as far as the US Supreme Court and exhaust every penny in U's budget? That will just have to be the cost of waging it.

We are in fact in the clutches of very evil and focused people....it's too bad the focus is not better directed toward higher and more ethical aspirations.

Sorta to PineyBob,

This thread illustrates to me that Siegel is not the entire problem (though he is in charge and as the saying goes "The buck stops here")

I sincerely believe that he doesn't know about a lot of the things like those expressed on this thread. Middle management won't pass the info up the chain because they don't want to look bad or because they fear for their jobs.

Now everybody else don't jump all over me as a Siegel defender. I personally think that he has demonstrated incompetence by focusing so long on cost cuts alone, and ignoring all the other things that need to be addressed for this airline to have a chance of survival.

Jim

I have to agree with Boeing Boy on this one. Although Dave has lost all credibility, and is clearly NOT the man to lead the company, I think that the underlings are equally responsible for some of this nonsense as well. Some of these things don't even make it onto the upper level radar, so they don't know.

In another sense it IS Dave's (and upper management's) fault, because, ultimately, they ARE responsible, and they SHOULD know these things. This is, I believe, related to the fact that none of the senior management dares to jump into the front lines and actually work for a while alongside the agents and flight crews--now that would be an eye opening experience. I have heard of one instance where a gate or special services desk was lined up with 30 people, only 2 agents working, and the manager walked by, asked if everything was okay and kept walking!!!

Managers should work MORE than M-F 9-5 as it seems they do (try finding a station manager in PHL on a weekend, even with irregular ops). They should be REQUIRED to work during irregular ops regardless of time, to help make decisions that others are afraid to make. They should KNOW what's going on at the gates, on board the aircraft, etc. Not knowing is just as bad as knowing and not doing anything about it.

Oh well.....

Merry Christmas to all my friends at U!!!

etops1 said:
does any one know if the a-321's are going to be configured as well?. there are eniterly to many f/c seats on that a/c.
Considering they are going to be doing a majority of flights to the coast, touching the F config in these would be a mistake.

BoeingBoy said:
I sincerely believe that he doesn't know about a lot of the things like those expressed on this thread. Middle management won't pass the info up the chain because they don't want to look bad or because they fear for their jobs.
i think you are 100% correct double b....i've said this many times and have seen it sometimes on a daily basis.
i've seen planes not quite done in overhaul being pushed accross the tracks ontime and finished outside on the ramp so it was done on paper "ontime".then you just charge off the delay to test hop problems...
they used to send planes up to the line with open MEL'S out of heavy...sometimes line would get wise and return the a/c.....
its evident dave is being operated on a "don't need to know basis". :down: :shock:

Hope777 said:
mbmb....Those people didnt use upgrades or anything. I had the chance to look at the Stanby List, they were all Oversales in coach. Looking at some of them, they cleary fly once a year.  And yes AOG-how does our Maintenance Leaders still have jobs. They waste more money then we can make. You guys do double work on the same aircraft, ever wonder why our costs are high?
Well I can see your point, sort of. After posting, and thinking about it, I wondered why there'd be a 321 flying out of PHL at 6:30 AM anyway. Too early for any connecting traffic. And it's the connecting traffic that I think ought to have the opportunity for an upgrade, if they've put up with the extra hassle. (Iin a marketing sense that is, to keep these folks flying US..many of us would not bother with US if it weren't for that possibility. I'd much rather fly a nonstop coach from BOS on someone else otherwise.) If I start seeing all coach connecting flights to FL, it'll be only under duress that I book US. And I see that 6:30 AM PHL/MCO flight is a 737-300 in January, so perhaps the 321 was a temporary thing? At least those that got put in first are most likely PHL locals. I hope they remember who was nice to them when Southwest comes to town.
In my earlier post, I also meant to say I've been on several transcons lately that were NOT even close to full. So I wonder what the best opportunities are to use those 321's.

Latest posts

Back