Question for Ticket/Gate Agents

GuntherA320

Senior
Jan 28, 2008
Charlotte
Visit site
Before I ask the question i will give a little background. I have a friend that is visiting his parents in North Carolina from Colorado. While he was home, he lost his wallet with his NC Drivers License in it. NC DMV now requires that all drivers licenses that are issued to be done by mail. There is no way to get one in person anymore. I renewed my license last month and it took them over a month to send me my new license. Ok, time for the question. How can a passenger that lost his ID and is waiting for the replacement get on board a flight? Is there an alternate method (birth certificate, etc) that is acceptable? He was suppose to return to Colorado today, but that is obviously not going to happen.

Before I ask the question i will give a little background. I have a friend that is visiting his parents in North Carolina from Colorado. While he was home, he lost his wallet with his NC Drivers License in it. NC DMV now requires that all drivers licenses that are issued to be done by mail. There is no way to get one in person anymore. I renewed my license last month and it took them over a month to send me my new license. Ok, time for the question. How can a passenger that lost his ID and is waiting for the replacement get on board a flight? Is there an alternate method (birth certificate, etc) that is acceptable? He was suppose to return to Colorado today, but that is obviously not going to happen.

TSA - ID Requirements for Airport Checkpoints

Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane.

WOW your question raises so many Red Flags it isn't funny!You're looking for a loophole to justify your affairs. :p

WOW your question raises so many Red Flags it isn't funny!You're looking for a loophole to justify your affairs. :p

Huh? I guess this is a suppose to be a funny response? This is a serious question in light of some new state laws about issuing state ID's and Driver's licenses. In North Carolina you can no longer get a new license on the spot. You have to wait for it to be mailed to your house. If you don't have a passport and lose your wallet or have it stolen, etc etc......As a regular paying passenger, are you just SOL while waiting for the state to issue you a new drivers license??? I do appreciate the earlier response that directed me to the TSA website as it was a serious response trying to help. Anyone else have any insight or ideas?

While we're on the subject: Who is the mental midget in Tempe that decided we need to give our date of birth when checking in as a must-ride ? This is unacceptable ! Ever hear of identity theft ?

Did he apply for a replacement? I would think that he could either show a copy of the DMV replacement application (or some form of proof that he lost his license), and that + a very thorough secondary screening would probably do the trick.

Not that this will help him after-the-fact, but I always carry a photocopy of my driver's license with me when I fly.

Did he apply for a replacement? I would think that he could either show a copy of the DMV replacement application (or some form of proof that he lost his license), and that + a very thorough secondary screening would probably do the trick.

Not that this will help him after-the-fact, but I always carry a photocopy of my driver's license with me when I fly.

Thanks for the reply. The NC DMV does give you a piece of paper that is suppose to act as a temporary drivers license for 20 days. However it does not have a photo on it. I agree that with you that this piece of paper and a thorough secondary screening he should be ok, but not knowing anyone who has ever tested this policy i was looking for some insight. I agree with you about keeping a photo copy of your license and passport with you. I have never lost mine but I understand that it makes things much easier later on when you are trying to convince someone of who you are. Unfortunately, for people like my friend who only travel once or twice per year, they don't think about doing things like this. Hopefully a lesson learned for him.

Thanks for the reply. The NC DMV does give you a piece of paper that is suppose to act as a temporary drivers license for 20 days. However it does not have a photo on it. I agree that with you that this piece of paper and a thorough secondary screening he should be ok, but not knowing anyone who has ever tested this policy i was looking for some insight. I agree with you about keeping a photo copy of your license and passport with you. I have never lost mine but I understand that it makes things much easier later on when you are trying to convince someone of who you are. Unfortunately, for people like my friend who only travel once or twice per year, they don't think about doing things like this. Hopefully a lesson learned for him.
Would it be possible for your friend to get a state issued ID card? That would have a picture with name/address.

It is because that our glorious, without reproach, state employees were issuing fraudulent IDs to illegal immigrants and people with revoked licenses. Now their work must be double checked in Raleigh and I believe this includes state ID cards as well. Typical, everyone must be punished for the actions of a few.

Huh? I guess this is a suppose to be a funny response? This is a serious question in light of some new state laws about issuing state ID's and Driver's licenses. In North Carolina you can no longer get a new license on the spot. You have to wait for it to be mailed to your house. If you don't have a passport and lose your wallet or have it stolen, etc etc......As a regular paying passenger, are you just SOL while waiting for the state to issue you a new drivers license??? I do appreciate the earlier response that directed me to the TSA website as it was a serious response trying to help. Anyone else have any insight or ideas?

Whoa, back off , buddy! Different states have different rules to replacing licenses. Then again some states require insurance and others don't. Your question set off so many Red Flags because to lose a driver's license is to have an ULTIMATE identity loss. I agree to take this up with TSA and try to fool them to your apparent folly! B) B)

Whoa, back off , buddy! Different states have different rules to replacing licenses. Then again some states require insurance and others don't. Your question set off so many Red Flags because to lose a driver's license is to have an ULTIMATE identity loss. I agree to take this up with TSA and try to fool them to your apparent folly! B) B)

This was his "friend's" loss, not his. I don't get the sarcastic and very unhelpful reponses from you.
ANYWAY. To answer the question, yes, you can travel without picture ID. I have done it. Unfortunately, it seemed to me it was really up to the mood of the TSA agent, and not a hard and fast rule. I was asked a bunch of questions, my luggage was searched, I was patted down, and I was not allowed any carry-on's. Tell your friend to arrive early, go to the TSA office at DIA (do not spring this on the guy at the checkpoint). They will hopefully label your friend for extra screening and he will be on his way.