Question for West Flight Attendants

Nov 11, 2007
Do you guys serve the entire can( per procedure) on your transcon flights ?????? Just a little curious. It is de facto " procedure" on the East.

I'm East but will but my 4 cents in anyway. It's not procedure but our Amateur West stadium cups take all but a sip from the can anyway so what's the point? It is also not procedure to bring cans into Envoy but everyone does it. You are still suppose to mix the drinks for the passengers. I don't know where that got lost along the way.

From the US Airways P&P Manual found on the HUB

Coash Service
• Beverages:
— Place napkin on customer’s tray table. Position napkin logo so it faces the customer. Beverage is positioned on napkin.
— Fill plastic glass half-full with ice, then pour beverage over ice.
— Serve bottled water in a plastic glass without ice (unless customer requests ice).
• If a customer requests a bottle of water, offer him/her a second glass of water.
— Place liquor/liqueur miniatures (unopened) and plastic glass on the customer's tray table.
— Place beer (unopened) and plastic glass on the customer’s tray table.
— Place wine bottle (unopened) and plastic glass on the customer's tray table.
— Do not invert a plastic glass on top of beer can or wine bottle.
— Position wine/beer/liquor/liqueur labels so they face the customer.
— Beverage Cans - Beverage cans are served upon customer request only. When a customer requests a full can of beverage,
open can and serve along with a plastic glass of ice.
— Special Requests - Time permitting, attempt to fulfill a customer’s special beverage request (outside of what is normally
offered) after all customers are initially served (e.g. requests for alcoholic beverages on Service Upon Request and Short
Haul Beverage service levels).

First Class
• Beverages:
— Fill glass half-full with ice, then pour beverage over ice.
— Serve bottled water in a plastic glass without ice (unless customer requests ice).
• Bottles of water are served only upon customer request.
— Place liquor/liqueur miniatures (unopened) and plastic glass on the customer's tray table.— Place beer (opened) and plastic glass on the customer’s tray table (do not invert a plastic glass on top of a can).
— Position napkin logo so it faces the customer.
— Position beer/liquor/liqueur labels so they face the customer.
— Beverage cans - Served at customer request, partially poured in a glass with ice.
• Snack Basket - Offer the snack basket upon request by a First Class customer even if the service level does not call for it.

I always find it funny when you get on a flight to Florida from Philly and you STILL have someone ask you if you want to do cup or can. Ummmm hello? I told a few B f/a's that if you don't want to do the can feel free to get those call bells for refills. That ugly cup takes almost the whole can just as beachboy stated so what's the point? With as cost conscious as this company is it TOTALLY blew my mind that they decided to keep the west cup. I mean think about it, with the east cup you could squeeze three cups of soda out of that can. Someone with the abacus in Tempe must not have figured that in. :lol: When I'm doing a quick express flt ya get as much as is left when the foam settles. The whole a/c can't be that thirsty. Your lucky if you have enough ice to fill those Dollar Tree looking cups. Passengers love their wine in them though.

Hey Hot Nuts! Oh my how filthy that sounds, I love it. Since you got that manual fired up is there reference to Envoy? First is different as this rule predated the "Envoy flippy books" when the fence came down. I never got a memo saying we were to alter that rule. I am a heavy handed long pouring bartender anyway. Ah tomato tomatoe these days!

3.3.4Envoy Class Tips and Reminders.
•Closet Doors - All closet doors are to remain closed, except when retrieving or stowing items.
•Glass vs. Can - All beverages (except beer) are to be served by the glass (unless customer requests the can).
•Liquor Cart/Carriers - The liquor cart/carriers may not be opened for any reason while on the ground. They are bonded.
•Ovens (A330-300) - Entrées are loaded into the ovens after take-off. Ensure that all leftover entrées are returned to the meal carts before landing.
•Pre-departure Beverages - Although Champagne/sparkling wine, orange juice and Mimosas are presented on the tray, requests for other non-alcoholic beverages are to be accommodated.

There is no specific reference to minis in the Envoy section of the Transatlantic Manual.

Technically all beverage services on mainline flights are supposed to be a cup.

US Airways Shuttle flights are unopened can and cup of ice.

Almost every EMBFA flight gets a Shuttle service. It makes the beverage service go quicker, and keeps it in line with meals. I hate getting a meal and then waiting for ages for the beverage cart. It also gives people the option of saving it for later in the flight if they don't feel like drinking it then. The party cups are a whole can anyway. You have your ninnys who act like it's coming from their own pantry *cough*CLT* who say people who don't want the can are stuck with it for the flight... No, since the service is completed quicker you are on your first pick-up much sooner, where they can dispose of the can if they like.

An efficient crew's beverage cart makes it to the galley only shortly after the meal cart, where a trash cart (with a carrier for cans on top) is already set up and ready to go with a coffee tea and water cart right behind it. Customers should not have to sit with refuse in front of them or have an extended period of time between their meal, drink, and coffee if they wish.

I never mix drinks, I know when I'm boozin I hate to have a weak drink made for me by someone who doesn't drink. I give two minis, a cup, and the can of mixer, half poured if in First or Envoy. Are we supposed to mix them in First? I'm interested in what the customers prefer.

I prefer my two mini's and the can to Europe but heck, what do I know? I am just spouting off what was drilled into my head back in 1999 during my 5 days of Envoy training. It was Wolf's vision or else. Never got the memo otherwise but I would get clubbed in the leg if I tried that to follow what I was taught back then by the girls off "Waiting for God" ( a great British comedy ) aka our Transatlantic crowd. And people prefer the can period.

To every F/A who does “CANâ€￾ THANK YOU , I’m not a child , I don’t need or want my drink poured for me , and also ,unlike a child I would like a FULL drink rather than a partial one , your saving both of us time because I for one do not have to ring the button or pester you when you pass by if I can have another drink . (this statment applies only to coach )

The P&P is a mess.

Section 13.1 says that in First Class you mix the drink in the galley and only give the opened mini on request.

scroll down and you see

Section 13.12 First Class service is to place the unopened mini on the tray.

I guess I live in my own little world, but I thought the transcon first coach service was a can and the arrival service was a cup.

If you scroll down and look at the AW items in the P&P they have clear and easy to follow charts to follow.

As the new service guidelines for the "cough" combined Usairways are put together they best visit this can/cup thing. I know there are more pressing issues to worry about at Usairways but if you have folks dedicated to the task, DO IT RIGHT! Those standing around staring at the beverage cart to find a better packout or what have you better reallize that all the ghost riders inflight can hire won't be able to change the serving of the the "CAN" :lol:

On the West, as I have stated before in other topics.
On all Inflight cafe flights: Do a full beverage service handing out cans.
Come thru with trash pick up, and recycle cans with empty bins.
Next go thru with BOB, water and coffee on top of cart. Sometimes the C postion will request ice be put on there side.
Before landing, go thru with another full beverage service, pour only.
Some fa's like to do push pull type service. I prefer what is listed above, and is the majority of what fa's do, it is standard.
On flights that are two beverage, we usually offer the can, and do a water service towards end of flight. Some westies are by the book and insist on doing two full pour services. I find very unsanitary because a lot of fa's will take the pax used cup, fill with ice, and pour more drink, instead of offering a new cup. No thanks, I give them a new cup.
Our redeyes, same, can, then walk thru duing flight ck on pax's, water, coffee, juice upon landing. :D

The cup/can debate can be traced back to the USAir/Piedmont integration as well. The 'Party Cup' certainly does have its advantages but until Inflight and Catering can get on the same page it creates problems. Not everyone wants the can and many F/A's insist on pushing it on everyone because it makes their job easier, not to mention driving up costs. People that do not work the 737 fail to realize that you CANNOT give the can to every pax when catering is NOT available in all stations anymore. Some caterers still don't grasp the idea of Double Provisioning and the idea that WE NEED MORE (beverages, ice,snacks) to get thru the service. The large cup for an Express Service is ridiculous and many F/a's would rather make it a NO SERVE than deal with filling those cups on a short flight. Add to that the amount of trash/refuse (garbage of all shapes and sizes) that is collected with limited space available. On a recent flight I collected 16 pizza boxes alone from CPK not to mention numerous food containers........and where in the hell am I supposed to put them? I am getting tired of finding galley carts and bathrooms full of trash bags because the situation is OUT of Control.

Latest posts