Queston on Final Approach option...

AirBear120

Feb 26, 2010
I'm looking for some help.

Several of us were sitting around the airport today when a discussion developed about standard airport arrival procedures. Aside from AC 90-66A - Recommended Standards Traffic Patterns for Aeronautical Operations at Airports without Operating Control Tower.

I was quite sure I had read somewhere that as opposed to making standard pattern entries into a pattern, that if you were in proper position, you could utilize a straight in approach to final providing you were at least 3 miles upwind from the airport.

I have searched the FAR/AIM, but have not been able to find this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

AirBear

I'm looking for some help.
I was quite sure I had read somewhere that as opposed to making standard pattern entries into a pattern, that if you were in proper position, you could utilize a straight in approach to final providing you were at least 3 miles upwind from the airport.
AirBear

What would "upwind" have to do with anything? Pilots fly straight in approaches all the time at nontowered airports. It might be convenient but not advisable at all. Don't think for a minute that you are safe because you reporting your position and intentions on the radio. Not all aircraft have radios! The five to ten minutes you are going to save just isn't worth it.

I was in the pattern announcing every position just to have a stearman taxi onto the active just as I was crossing the numbers. He had no radio nor did he clear the approach end of the runway. In another close call I was flying the pattern without a radio. I turned final from base and performed a touch and go, when I was turning downwind another aircraft had just touched down on the runway. After landing I learned that he had been on a long final and executed a 360 when I had turned final. He said that we were just a few hundred feet apart. I never even saw him. There are standard pattern entries for a reason, use them.

Back