Rand Paul caught lying about his college record

Seems like a lot of faux-outrage to me. If you want to look at someone lying about college records, let's start with Obama. At least Paul's are available.

Reactions: 6 people
eolesen said:
Seems like a lot of faux-outrage to me. If you want to look at someone lying about college records, let's start with Obama. At least Paul's are available.
look at the op it's how he rolls

Reactions: 1 person
I think the Scott Walker issue is more interesting. He never even finished college and he is being talked about as a presidential candidate. I was flipping channels and stopped on FOX. They were saying that the people who were commenting on the fact that Walked did not have a degree were "elitists". Since when did expecting a head of state to have a degree become elitist? For that matter, when did having a degree become elitist?

Paul is a MD. I hardly think this (if true) disqualifies him for being POTUS. There are plenty of other (far more relevant) issues that disqualify him as being fit for office.

A politician? Lying? Say it ain't so!
Wait! He's a consertive....and lying.
This is news, cause Demorats lie so much, it's not considered news for them any longer!

Ms Tree said:
Since when did expecting a head of state to have a degree become elitist? For that matter, when did having a degree become elitist?
Since when is having a degree the measure of being a world leader? Didn't seem to hurt Harry Truman.

Certainly, it didn't make a difference to the leadership abilities (political or in private industry) of people like Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Jackson, David Neeleman, Henry Ford, John Rockefeller, Michael Dell, Ray Croc, Richard Branson or Walt Disney.

If nothing else, Walker's an example that a track record of success & leadership is more important than having the right pedigree.

Because I'd like a leader with a well rounded education. Because an education is better than no education? Because exceptions are not the rule?

Reactions: 2 people
eolesen said:
Since when is having a degree the measure of being a world leader? Didn't seem to hurt Harry Truman.

Certainly, it didn't make a difference to the leadership abilities (political or in private industry) of people like Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Jackson, David Neeleman, Henry Ford, John Rockefeller, Michael Dell, Ray Croc, Richard Branson or Walt Disney.

If nothing else, Walker's an example that a track record of success & leadership is more important than having the right pedigree.
You forgot Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

Anyone ever hear or recall the plagiarism scandal involving some guy named Joe Biden? Things seemed to turn out OK there.

Since there are people who were successful with out a formal education that means it's OK to elect a president who does not have a college education?

Perhaps had you paid attention is school you would know that's not a good idea.

Not all education comes from the classroom, Tree.

I have had far more success with people I've recruited who were self-taught than with people who were book smart and street stupid. You need both types in a large organization, but the leaders and visionaries typically came out of the former.

Ms Tree said:
Perhaps had you paid attention is school you would know that's not a good idea.
No, it just means that you're uncomfortable with something non-conformist.

When Bill Clinton was being called a pothead and a draft dodger, or when Ted Kennedy was labeled a drunk killer, there was no shortage of people saying "that was a long time ago, look at what he's done since then..."

If you buy into that line of reasoning, then you have to do the same with Walker -- what has he accomplished as an adult is far more important than what he chose to do when he was 18-22.

I am well aware of that.

I have had the opposite experience. I have had far better success with people who have some sort of formal education. As an example. A manager I had was very skilled at his specific job. Mostly self taught. The issues came when something deviated from the norm. He had very limited reasoning and analytical skills. He could not think out side the box to solve a problem. His communication (verbal and written) skills were abysmal. As a result the department suffered and we had to replace him. I notice it more and more with the kids who are being hired. Those who are going to school are better at adapting, contribute more and are more rounded individuals. Those who dropped out of school are just going through the motions for the most part.

While a formal education is not a panacea, and it is up to the individual to put the education to good use, I believe it is an essential need. While there are exceptions to the rule, as a whole, those who do have a formal education are more capable of succeeding than those without.

Being a pot head or a draft dodger does not negate the education they received. Not sure how that is relevant.

eolesen said:

E, I agree with the sentiment expressed here, but one either has a college degree or one does not.  It would be hard to forget that point.  It's like being pregnant.  You either are, or you are not.  I don't care that Paul didn't receive an undergraduate degree (and who knew you could get into medical school without one!!!!).  What I care about is that he has repeatedly either claimed or implied that he has TWO college degrees--even after getting called out on it in the past.

I'm open-minded about the Libertarian philosophy so far.  It can't be anymore out of touch than the Republican philosophy of "all we have to do is cut taxes on the rich to solve all our problems."  Now, all of you can attack me with your "the main problem with the Democrats is that they are alive and breathing" arguments.  Your problem with that is that the only people who believe that are people who believe what is said on FAUX News.  And, those people are in the minority.

Latest posts