Republic Airways Sets Ipo At 5 Mln Shares

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Republic Airways sets IPO at 5 mln shares

See Story

LOA 91 permits the sale of PSA, with 50-50 J4J, and 60 CRJ-700 and 25 CRJ-200 aircraft/delivery positions.

LOA 91 also permits the sale of MDA, with 85 EMB-170/175 aircraft/delivery positions, the transfer of all current pilots, and 50-50 J4J.

Mesa Airlines currently operates the CRJs and Republic has ordered 13 EMB-170s, with operations to begin this summer.

Could Mesa buy PSA and Republic MDA? Then once the Allegheny/Piedmont merger be complete, could this combined business entity be sold too?

US Airways current loan guarantee balance is $726 million and in 2001, United Airlines reached an agreement with Atlantic Coast Airlines for the Dulles-based company to buy US Airways' three "wholly owned" airlines for $200 million, provided the United-US Airways merger was completed.

I'm not sure what the market value would be for PSA, Allegheny/Piedmont, MDA, and their delivery positions, but it could bring the outstanding loan guarantee balance down to about $500 million, which is the maximum amount of guaranteed funds the company can possess and complete a corporate transaction, without ATSB approval per the loan guarantee covenants.

The new agreement between ALPA and US Airways permits the company transfer the leases to express partners, which frees US Airways from paying for those regional jets, while keeping the aircraft in the US Airways Express family to feed the mainline via the code share agreements.

ALPA spokesman Captain Jack Stephen told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, "Going forward, the pilots recognized the reality of the situation and voted accordingly. Given the facts, they made the appropriate decision."

US Airways spokesman David Castelveter told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, "This favorable vote is a clear indication our pilots do understand the challenges the company faces, and again are taking the necessary steps to help us during this extremely difficult time."

"This is positive. It's a start," said Michael Boyd, head of The Boyd Group, an airline consultant in Evergreen, Colo. "The only cost savings left are things like work rules and scope clauses. It's up to management now to make it work," according to the Tribune-Review.

LOA 91 permits the company to more easily divest of its regioanl assets with no further labor interference at any airline (mainline or affiliate), permit the company to lower its short-term debt by paying down more of the loan guarantee, reduce aircraft acquisition long-term debt, keep the RJ revenue within US Airways Group, and eliminate potential M&A scope clause problems, if the company enters into a corporate transaction.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
and eliminate potential M&A scope clause problems, if the company enters into a corporate transaction.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
Exactly, gets rid od most of the workforce so only the very top and very few go to the acquiring airline. Likely stapled to the bottom.

See you at MAA/Republic, whoever it is.

So much for the BOS F/O reps words - he stated emphatically on the ALPA board that LOA 91 did not change the 100% J4J's at MDA. Since Republic is a non-affiliate, future vacancies could be 0% J4J's.

Of course, if I had his seniority number I might be tempted to say anything if it would keep the doors open a little longer - but probably not.

Jim

BTW, he also said that LOA 91 did nothing to change the 100% J4J's on the CRJ-701. So much for that...

Jim

LOA 91 states, in the event the Aircraft Sale Event includes aircraft flown as US Airways Express by the acquiring Participating Affiliate Carrier for which pilots have already been hired to be employed by MDA ("MDA Pilots"), the Company will:

A. Require the Participating Affiliate Carrier to offer all Jets for Jobs vacancies first to those MDA Pilots in seniority order until achieving at least a 50% Jets for Jobs percentage, and then to staff any additional Jets for Jobs vacancies at least a 50% Jets for Jobs percentage under the Jets for Jobs protocoL;

B. Request that the Participating Affiliate Carrier agree to offer any additional Jets for Jobs vacancies created as a direct result of the Aircraft Sale Event under the Jets for Jobs protocol, giving first consideration to those MDA pilots, up to a total of 100% Jets for Jobs Percentage;

C. In the event the Participating Affiliate Carrier does not offer Jets for Jobs vacancies in a sufficent number to provide offers of employment to all those MDA Pilots, require that the Participating Affiliate Carrier offers of employment to all those MDA pilots, require the Participating Affiliate Carrier agree to offer preferential (hiring) consideration to any reamining MDA pilots.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

What does republic setting an IPO do with US Airways, this topic needs to be moved to regional airline forum.

700UW:

The Republic IPO could provide the funding for the regional airline to acquire MDA, since the Indianapolis-based airline has placed an order for EMB-170s. Furthermore, there is speculation within ALPA E&FA that the 13 EMB-170s Republic ordered are original US Airways deliveries.

Thus, with LOA 91 now ratified, the E&FA view, and the IPO, this topic is very germane to those parties interested in US Airways.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
700UW:

The Republic IPO could provide the funding for the regional airline to acquire MDA, since the Indianapolis-based airline has placed an order for EMB-170s. Furthermore, there is speculation within ALPA E&FA that the 13 EMB-170s Republic ordered are original US Airways deliveries.

Thus, with LOA 91 now ratified, the E&FA view, and the IPO, this topic is very germane to those parties interested in US Airways.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
MDA is not a seperate company, it operates off of US Airways' mainline certificate, so if MDA is sold US Airways is sold.

700UW:

US Airways can sell assets regardless of the operating certificate.

Management has let it be known to ALPA that PSA will likely be sold and Allegheny/Piedmont too. The company told the MEC that they would like to keep MDA, but as LOA 91 permits, MDA can be sold and the new agreement provides for the transfer of MDA pilots to the acquiring carrier.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Republic's IPO has probably been in the planning stages for at least months. I would hestitate to speculate that Republic's IPO is related to LOA 91 being signed. It is more likely that for whatever reason, Republic's backers (i.e Wexford) believe this is a good time to IPO. Maybe they need the cash to acquire CRJ-700 aircraft related to their recently announced contract with UAL for UA Express service.

(And please don't pull the UAL/US Airways connection here... Republic has a contract to UAL, and will fly the airplanes wherever UAL tells them... its not a "split it up" or UCT/ICT triggering event. United Express will not operate a PIT hub with US* codes on the flights, for example.)

It is unlikely, in my opinion, that Republic will acquire PSA CRJ-700's in order to operate as UA Express, unless US Airways feels the need to get rid of the CRJ-700's as part of closing down the PIT hub (if that happens as advertized this fall).

"Furthermore, there is speculation within ALPA E&FA that the 13 EMB-170s Republic ordered are original US Airways deliveries."

So much for the vaunted ALPA E&FA if the are speculating along those lines. If they'd take a few seconds to look at Embraer's website, they'd see Republic's 13 orders right above our 85. But, hey, why get facts when speculation is so much fun.

Jim

as i understand from several psa crews have told me that the crj 700 is now not coming to the fleet i guess this is what they get since they stood up to the greedy crews that fly what is left of our mainline jets! shame that they have to protect themselves and agrees to sell off psa! psa crjs are really a beautiful plane but it is now too sad to see them go to a contract carrier for usair

According to UAL's press release, Republic will fly 16 70 seat RJ's. Made no mention of type. I guess I assumed CRJ-700 because UA Express already has a number of those from Mesa and SkyWest.

Also, and to my earlier point, these aircraft will be deployed at existing UAL hubs per their press release...

UAL Press Release

robbedagain said:
as i understand from several psa crews have told me that the crj 700 is now not coming to the fleet i guess this is what they get since they stood up to the greedy crews that fly what is left of our mainline jets! shame that they have to protect themselves and agrees to sell off psa! psa crjs are really a beautiful plane but it is now too sad to see them go to a contract carrier for usair
CRJ 701 flights are said to be resuming tomorrow at PSA... Wait and see...