Retirement

gatemech

Senior
Aug 24, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Just remember when you retire from the Big U you are barely a number the them. So you finish everything with the PBGC & medical. Now you want a retiree badge. Cough up $35. I only did it for the FedEx discount but I get a funny look sometimes because UA doesn’t put your employee number on it. And next ( goes for everyone) beware using the MyUAdiscount. You will get a discount only to find that you are the same as the general public. A wedding I was to attend in Mich. was canceled because of Covid-19 so I canceled my flights. Now the company that took my pension and other benefits over a 30+ years is holding almost $800 of my money. They tell me after 2 years I can request a refund. WTF! You work all those years and before the merger you looked forward to better boarding priority. Forget that. I guess if you use vacation passes it puts you back where you should be. But wait once retired you lose a day for day of boarding seniority.

I’m so happy to be away from such a horrible company. The feeling I get from UA is “Thank you for your years of service F*** You

I’m done venting. I know I sound bitter. I feel it is justified

Don't feel too bad. Treatment of retirees is about the same at AA. One of the things they did recently is remove retirees from the list of non-rev travelers who can list for First Class. Supposedly the reason is to provide social distancing in First Class for our "important customers." Well, they have now gone back to booking even the middle seats in coach for revenue passengers, and I suspect that IF a non-rev gets on the plane the prohibition against putting non-revs in F/C will still be in effect and their assigned seat will be one of those middle seats in coach with a person suffering from a heavy cough at the window.:eek:

I remember reading stuff from Oscar Munoz stating how United values it’s employees. I never saw it. I guess if you were a VP you would be treated with respect. Today’s airline job is just a job. I don’t think you can call it a career anymore.

A wedding I was to attend in Mich. was canceled because of Covid-19 so I canceled my flights. Now the company that took my pension and other benefits over a 30+ years is holding almost $800 of my money. They tell me after 2 years I can request a refund. WTF!

Were the flights you had originally booked canceled? Seems like you took action on your own, and now want to blame the airline for not just handing you back your money.

As I'm reading how they're handling ticket credits, you could use that $800 to go somewhere else at any time, or you can wait for a refund after the ticket credits expire.

Yes I cancelled on my own. The direct flight was removed. I would’ve had to change planes somewhere. My issue is with the way employees and retirees are treated. Not just me but anyone that uses the MyUAdiscount should be able to get a refund. What’s next charging employees pay for bags? Back to the flights I was going to take. I bought on UA because of the direct flight SFO-DTW. I would’ve gone SWA. Shorter drive and cheaper parking.

My issue is with the way employees and retirees are treated. Not just me but anyone that uses the MyUAdiscount should be able to get a refund.

You want to be able to book a seat at the cheapest possible fare, change your mind late, and get a refund without question. Do you not see how that would possibly be abused? I sure do....

I talk with a lot of United employees, and they've all been quite happier with how they're treated since Oscar arrived and Smisek left.

Eolesen,

Are you a UA employee or retiree? If so then you know all that was taken from the employees. Yes I want a cheap fare and be able to change or cancel. I don’t know how many employees us the MyUAdiscount but it can’t be enough to mess things up. Even 72hrs prior to flight cancellation period. Employees & retirees should able to get a refund. That is my opinion. I haven’t flown UA since the day Asiana crashed. I have flown SWA everywhere I go. I don’t have a problem purchasing flights. I don’t like standby. I only chose UA because of the direct flight. Even if I waited till the day before they would not have refunded because they would still get me to the destination.

Eolesen,

Are you a UA employee or retiree? If so then you know all that was taken from the employees. Yes I want a cheap fare and be able to change or cancel. I don’t know how many employees us the MyUAdiscount but it can’t be enough to mess things up. Even 72hrs prior to flight cancellation period. Employees & retirees should able to get a refund. That is my opinion. I haven’t flown UA since the day Asiana crashed. I have flown SWA everywhere I go. I don’t have a problem purchasing flights. I don’t like standby. I only chose UA because of the direct flight. Even if I waited till the day before they would not have refunded because they would still get me to the destination.
Does Southwest have a direct flight for your route? I assume no since you did say you took UA for the direct flight. But, maybe ya should have stuck with what ya always have done a take Southwest.

Asiana crash in 2013? Seems you've been away a long time. You might want to check in with some active employees. It's a different company from what it was under mostly Continental's executives.

I wasn’t away. I just didn’t want to fly United. I have never had a bad experience on SWA. I don’t travel international so I can get to where I need to stress free. I know all about the sCO management. It sucks. I was counting the days to get our. There was a time you could retire from United and enjoy travel. Now you go after everyone else. Standby was always date of hire and retirees went ahead of active employees. Before you slam me for this it is my opinion that’s all. I miss most of the people I worked with. I don’t miss United.

Reactions: swamt