Rumor: Auckland and Abu Dhabi announcement

They've admitted that they've been in China working on PEK slots. I would guess that would be next. AKL is set to be announced tomorrow at 5pm CT. Per company communication.

IORFA said:
They've admitted that they've been in China working on PEK slots. I would guess that would be next.

Indeed.

Of course the airline's Korea country manager also commented last year on AA looking at adding a second nonstop route from ICN to the U.S., and various AA executives have publicly speculated about all of PEK, ICN and HKG as being possibilities for LAX in the future.

Reactions: 2 people
wait I'm confused does this mean a particular airline will is now both the domestic and international number one airline at LAX

Reactions: 3 people
jcw said:
wait I'm confused does this mean a particular airline will is now both the domestic and international number one airline at LAX
why do you have to bait world traveler its nice when he is not on aa topics

Reactions: 4 people
So as far as AKL being right (thanks !) i can almost assume that AUH will happen sometime

There will be a second LA trans-Pacific route likely to be announced by year's end, as well. I think it's going to be Beijing, but that's just my hunch.

MAH4546 said:
There will be a second LA trans-Pacific route likely to be announced by year's end, as well. I think it's going to be Beijing, but that's just my hunch.
That would be my guess too. Parker has already said they've been to China to start the process to obtain slots around when they want them. Given the timeline he mentioned on the crew news, I'd expect an announcement at the end of the year for a Summer 2016 start. With that, I'd expect all LAX-Asia service to go 787 around next summer as well. We'll have a total of 13 787's by the end of the year and I think they keep coming around one a month from here on out. We're hoping to get another LAX-Europe flight as well. Maybe a build up of 787's in LA will help that out. It would be nice to get CDG back.

IORFA said:
That would be my guess too. Parker has already said they've been to China to start the process to obtain slots around when they want them. Given the timeline he mentioned on the crew news, I'd expect an announcement at the end of the year for a Summer 2016 start.

Yep - would seem to make sense.

IORFA said:
With that, I'd expect all LAX-Asia service to go 787 around next summer as well. We'll have a total of 13 787's by the end of the year and I think they keep coming around one a month from here on out. 

Indeed.  I'd go even further, and say that by next year all AA flights to Asia except DFW-NRT/HKG/ICN will have gone 787.  It's essentially the perfect airplane for AA to use to organically develop its Asia network up against bigger, stronger, longer-established players - exactly like what AA did 30 years ago in Continental Europe with the 767.

IORFA said:
We're hoping to get another LAX-Europe flight as well. Maybe a build up of 787's in LA will help that out. It would be nice to get CDG back.

CDG is the only one that I would regard as even semi-plausible, although personally I think even that is a stretch.  Given the stage lengths involved and competitive dynamic, and given that by definition any LHR-Europe flight has to essentially overfly one if not multiple other AA hubs/gateways that also have nonstop access to that European destination, I'm not expecting anything beyond double-daily 77Ws to LHR.

Reactions: 1 person
IORFA said:
 We're hoping to get another LAX-Europe flight as well. Maybe a build up of 787's in LA will help that out. It would be nice to get CDG back.

commavia said:
CDG is the only one that I would regard as even semi-plausible, although personally I think even that is a stretch.  Given the stage lengths involved and competitive dynamic, and given that by definition any LHR-Europe flight has to essentially overfly one if not multiple other AA hubs/gateways that also have nonstop access to that European destination, I'm not expecting anything beyond double-daily 77Ws to LHR.

LAX to Asia seems logical, but talking about Europe, could LAX-CDG not work for AA even with the 787, and especially if the price of oil remains low?
Then what about year round service from LAX to MAD or HEL (or even an AirBerlin hub (DUS?))?

commavia said:
I'm not expecting LAX-CDG to come back, but other than possibly MAD on AA metal, Paris is the only other European destination I could see for AA at LAX. AA flew LAX-Paris about 15 years ago, before the AF-KL-DL mega joint venture, but AA does fly to Paris from every hub (at least in the summer if not year-round) and has maintained seasonal service from BOS, arguably a former hub. Paris is a huge destination, and LAX might be able to fill a 787-8 in the summer season if enough tourists value a nonstop as much as I hear they do.

Delta has begun flying to Paris (and even LHR) from some of the AA hubs (and/or former hubs), so I don't think LAX-CDG is beyond hope.

Reactions: 1 person
I could see AA picking up MAD if it weren't for the recurrent nonstop IB operates, and their opportunities to contribute to the JV are a lot more limited than BA or AA's.

Transpac? PEK would be the obvious choice, maybe ICN or KIX?