Rumor has it DL PHL-LHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:

I believe MH was shot down sometime in the summer (July?)?
So it took DL this long to figure out, as you allege, that now all of a sudden the added flight times due to geography make the flight uncompetitive?
I'm sorry but your narrative just doesn't pass the smell test.

Spin away!
thank you. 

that is all he is doing, find some horse crap and making an excuse for it. 

Reactions: 1 person
a DL capt who flies in the region has explained it to you and said the same thing.

I suppose you would have the same response if God explained gravity to you.

I don't doubt that's the story that the company has been telling internally, but whether or not it's the real reason is something only God and Glenn H's staff can explain.

It's unlikely that if market forces were the real reason, those details would be shared with the line pilots, let alone someone who has been out of the industry for a timeframe spanning two decades...

Reactions: 2 people
it would be shared with the line pilots. Passed on by the line check guys. You don't make a change like this without explanations. Maybe at usair but  not here. But then again i work here. 

You can believe they're telling you the whole story, but you'll never really know if there's more to it that wasn't shared or not. Some things can't be shared with the front line because the Company knows that inevitably it will wind up being posted to a public forum like this...

it would be shared with the line pilots. Passed on by the line check guys. You don't make a change like this without explanations. Maybe at usair but  not here. But then again i work here.
you know, meto, I think this issue is the ultimate of how jaded some people are about DL.

to think that DL sends planes flying around for an extra hour or two with no logical explanation is simply beyond the Capacity of an even remotely intelligent person to deny.

I'm glad the topic came up here because it truly has been a line in the sand issue... and there are a whole lot of people here who can't put one foot in front of the other anymore

You can believe they're telling you the whole story, but you'll never really know if there's more to it that wasn't shared or not. Some things can't be shared with the front line because the Company knows that inevitably it will wind up being posted to a public forum like this...
so says the "consultant" who spent how many years just prolonging the issue.  

Over on Flyertalk, some of the posters are crowing that Delta essentially gets a "free" LHR slot as long as it toughs it out for three years from PHL.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1630649-dl-start-phl-lhr-2.html

I know that after three years, DL could use it from any gateway, but doesn't DL have to pay AA/BA for the slot?
and DL doesn't even have to do laps around Iraq to win it.... can you imagine that!

Reactions: 1 person
The only thing I'm jaded about is your tiresome cheerleading.

The facts of this are:

1) DL chose to be one of the only airlines (and the only US based one) to fly that circuitous routing between Europe and India

2) DL used that as the justification for dropping the route

What you don't know is what led to the decision to fly the circuitous routing. Maybe DL just needed a good excuse to give the union? Dunno. And neither does anyone else on this forum, regardless of how much they like to pretend that they're still intimately connected to the decision making in ATL.

Reactions: 6 people
no, DL flies a circuitous routing because it doesn't want to have one of its planes shot out of the sky.

that decision might well result in the route no longer being viable but you are incredibly ignorant of reality if you think DL will spend millions of dollars to fly extra miles just to justify cancelling a route.

if DL wanted to cancel a route, they don't need to justify it to anyone.

a little basic elementary education, not a Ph.D. is all that is needed to be able to understand the situation.

but we wouldn't expect you to get it.... we're still waiting to see evidence of SLC folding up shop. You royally missed the whole DL-WN showdown in ATL, denied for a decade AA's position in Asia until public stats proved my point.... your track record is more than just a little tarnished.

You just love to make up crap, WT. I've never remotely said anything like that on either SLC or Asia.

The only thing you're remotely correct about is that I did expect WN to do more with ATL than they have. Based on the way WN has stumbled in general over the last three years, that never materialized.

You can put all your trust in the stories to come out of ATL if you wish.

I'll continue to look between the lines.

Reactions: 5 people
you swallowed way too much tryptophan - along with a whole lot of other things - if you can't remember what you have said about SLC>

there are legions of posts from you denying the problems that AA faced in Asia.

now that Asia and ATL have turned out the way they have, it is pretty obvious what you really understand about strategic issues regarding the issue.

and for whatever stumbling WN did, they have turned things around far faster and will return and surpass their own pretty impressive track record than AA will.

All I've ever said SLC is a hub of geographic convenience in a second tier city. Take away the LDS traffic, and you've essentially got another Memphis. It offers no more convenience as a transit hub than DEN or PHX. Possibly less so because of it's location.

But, we all know that you'll invent controversy where it fits your narrative. Feel free to keep doing that if it floats your gravy boat.

Reactions: 3 people
since every hub has geographic convenience, I guess no hub has any value in your 2% opinion.

given that you compared SLC to a half dozen dead hubs and said that SEA would be wise to not trust DL for a long-term lease, I'm not sure how anyone could believe you view SLC as anything other a dead hub.

What is clear is that AA is at yet one more strategic disadvantage to DL and UA who each have 3 western hubs while AA has two - both of which are within a couple hundred miles of each other in the southwest.

if there is one constant in the industry, it has been that AA has always been at least one step strategically behind everyone else.

and in the case of this thread, DL now has an int'l route in yet one more other airline hub and is getting that access compliments of AA itself.

they aren't assumption or projections when you suggested that DL's ability or desire to invest in new facilities at SLC might not be something SLC would want to do.

combine that with your inclusion of SLC with a list of other failed hubs and your envy that DL has a viable 3 hub strategy in the west is obvious.

DL and UA have figured out how to succeed in the west. AA is left with a leisure oriented hub that it has to share with WN and aspirations of int'l growth at LAX where every int'l carrier and their dog flies 3X the capacity that AA could ever hope to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.