Saving Private Ryan

diogenes

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
Several ABC affiliates refused to air 'Saving Private Ryan' this Veteran's Day evening for fear the FCC would fine them - the movie has violence and profanity.

Gotta love the chilling effect of this Admin, and I'm sure veterans are pleased an accurate portayal of their deeds got shelved.

Ordinarily, I am opposed to profanity on network TV - families out to have some TV time it's ok for the kids to watch.

But, with it being Veteran's Day, and the powerful impact of this film, I'd be willing to make an exception, and let the parents decide if they want their kids to see it.

When "Saving Private Ryan" first came out, I took a veteran of D-Day to see it. He (my uncle) could no longer drive himself and he wanted to see it. He was on Omaha Beach on that day.

He had never talked about his experiences in WWII. In fact, had refused to talk about it. Wouldn't even tell us where he got all the medals he had.

He cried through the entire opening sequence. He told me later that it came closest to what it was actually like that day of any movie he had ever seen on the subject. He told me later that the reason he had never talked about it was words failed him in describing the fear and the horror of D-Day.

We can't have young people looking at movies like that. They might think twice before being willing to go to war to make the Middle East safe for Halliburton (uh, I mean safe for democracy).

jimntx said:
When "Saving Private Ryan" first came out, I took a veteran of D-Day to see it. He (my uncle) could no longer drive himself and he wanted to see it. He was on Omaha Beach on that day.

He had never talked about his experiences in WWII. In fact, had refused to talk about it. Wouldn't even tell us where he got all the medals he had.

He cried through the entire opening sequence. He told me later that it came closest to what it was actually like that day of any movie he had ever seen on the subject. He told me later that the reason he had never talked about it was words failed him in describing the fear and the horror of D-Day.

We can't have young people looking at movies like that. They might think twice before being willing to go to war to make the Middle East safe for Halliburton (uh, I mean safe for democracy).
[post="200060"][/post]​

God bless our veterans. Many need to know the sacrifices they've made for our freedoms.

Back