"self boarding gates"

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/2010-07-26-continental-self-boarding-houston-intercontinental_N.htm

...In self-boarding, passengers — much like customers of the New York City subway— swipe their boarding passes at a kiosk reader at the gate. That opens a turnstile or door to the jet-bridge. Although an agent isn't there to take the pass, one is typically present to handle problems and other customer service tasks...

Interesting (if true) that LH says it does not impact staffing. Of course, if it does not lower staffing, what are the chances that Team Tempe would jump on this?

Who's monitoring bags and customers assigned exit row seats?
Ugh.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/2010-07-26-continental-self-boarding-houston-intercontinental_N.htm

...In self-boarding, passengers — much like customers of the New York City subway— swipe their boarding passes at a kiosk reader at the gate. That opens a turnstile or door to the jet-bridge. Although an agent isn't there to take the pass, one is typically present to handle problems and other customer service tasks...

don't people jump the turnstyles on the subway? Whats to keep that from happening?

I hear a computer company has self service kiosks under development for baggage service. A passenger can report a delayed bag by simply scanning his claim check. They will be able to see where the bag was last scanned and verify their delivery information, add to it or change it. It will then print a receipt.

I hear a computer company has self service kiosks under development for baggage service. A passenger can report a delayed bag by simply scanning his claim check. They will be able to see where the bag was last scanned and verify their delivery information, add to it or change it. It will then print a receipt.

What about the seeming 75% of passengers who lose their claim checks?
What about entering the color, type, and contents correctly?

Only 1 person out 1000 loses their claim check. They would have to wait to see an agent.

A color and luggage type chart pops up on a touch screen.
Permanent mailing Address, phone number pulls over from their reservation. All they have to do is add local delivery address.
Much easier that checking in at the ticket counter.

I find it amusing with the TSA so jacked up on door security, that they would so quickly sign off on this.

I find it amusing with the TSA so jacked up on door security, that they would so quickly sign off on this.
The government will just put TSA in charge of the security at the boarding gate just like the security checkpoint.The airlines love TSA took the financial responsibilities away for them

Reactions: 1 person
The government will just put TSA in charge of the security at the boarding gate just like the security checkpoint.The airlines love TSA took the financial responsibilities away for them

I think that's the plan at airports ..... Run away government! More Private sector jobs being moved to the Public sector. :rolleyes:

Isn't the CWA currently trying to represent TSA workers? If they do CWA keeps the work either way. Doesn't do us (US Employees) any good.

Just another day in the "Peoples Republic of Barackistan" Y'all voted for "hope and change" and now after the tax increases all you can "Hope" for is to have some spare "change" left at the end of the week.

If the airlines can find away to off load this task onto the "Terrorist Support Agency" trust me they will. Heck the airlines already view customers as self loading cargo and f/a's as vending machines with arms. Is anyone really surprised?

Just another day in the "Peoples Republic of Barackistan" Y'all voted for "hope and change" and now after the tax increases all you can "Hope" for is to have some spare "change" left at the end of the week.
Why don't you just save yourself the time and make this your signature? Then again it's also possible that not every raincloud or fart in the wind is part of the vast Obamic conspiracy.

If the airlines can find away to off load this task onto the "Terrorist Support Agency" trust me they will. Heck the airlines already view customers as self loading cargo and f/a's as vending machines with arms. Is anyone really surprised?
Chill bro. There is absolutely no indication or mention in the article of the TSA taking over any airline functions. You did read the article in the OP right?

As to the topic of the thread, I personally don't see this coming to US any time soon. It would require a substantial investment in IT development, fixtures, and training; the headaches would be more numerous than could be justified, and that's assuming any of the airports would agree to the installation of turnstiles. I just don't see it happening at US any time soon.