Senior Management Lay-off

Stallid

May 11, 2018
Not sure if people don't care or are just unaware of Tulsa Maintenance Vice President Bill Cade's lay-off. Anyways, here's his letter from yesterday:
upload_2018-8-3_14-14-50.jpeg

Bill Cade
Vice President – Base Maintenance and Engines

August 2, 2018

Tech Ops Team,

It’s true what they say – the airline industry is one of the few that gets into your blood and stays there. I know
that firsthand, having started at Grumman Aerospace more than 30 years ago. The industry has evolved in so
many ways and yet it’s the same one I fell in love with as a structural mechanic in 1984. The highs have been
great and the lows have helped us all grow, and for that, I’m incredibly grateful. That’s why it’s with mixed
emotion I share that I have decided to retire from American.

This decision wasn’t an easy one. In fact, one of the most difficult I’ve had to make. I love this company and I
care deeply about each of you. But, I know it’s the right one for me, personally, and for American. I couldn’t
have asked for a better career than what Pan Am, TWA and American have provided me. But beyond the
companies I’ve worked for, it’s the people who have made this experience so rewarding.

So, what’s next for me? I’m not quite sure. What I do know is I have time to figure it out. No doubt, this gig will
be a tough act to follow.

My last day with American will be Aug. 17. I’m honored to have been part of this team and know that you’ll
continue to do great things. I look forward to cheering you all on.

GetFileAttachment

Last edited:
Not sure if people don't care or are just unaware of Tulsa Maintenance Vice President Bill Cade's lay-off. Anyways, here's his letter from yesterday:
View attachment 13160

Bill Cade
Vice President – Base Maintenance and Engines

August 2, 2018

Tech Ops Team,

It’s true what they say – the airline industry is one of the few that gets into your blood and stays there. I know
that firsthand, having started at Grumman Aerospace more than 30 years ago. The industry has evolved in so
many ways and yet it’s the same one I fell in love with as a structural mechanic in 1984. The highs have been
great and the lows have helped us all grow, and for that, I’m incredibly grateful. That’s why it’s with mixed
emotion I share that I have decided to retire from American.

This decision wasn’t an easy one. In fact, one of the most difficult I’ve had to make. I love this company and I
care deeply about each of you. But, I know it’s the right one for me, personally, and for American. I couldn’t
have asked for a better career than what Pan Am, TWA and American have provided me. But beyond the
companies I’ve worked for, it’s the people who have made this experience so rewarding.

So, what’s next for me? I’m not quite sure. What I do know is I have time to figure it out. No doubt, this gig will
be a tough act to follow.

My last day with American will be Aug. 17. I’m honored to have been part of this team and know that you’ll
continue to do great things. I look forward to cheering you all on.

GetFileAttachment
And that's that

My experience working for him was a positive one. He was 767 fleet manager at AFW in 2003, a really rough time. Memorial day 2003 was our first lost holiday. Some genius picked that specific day to start having employee car parked "illegally" (backed in a spot) towed off the property. To Bills credit when he found out what was going on, he personally put a stop to that madness. He did not stay at AFW long. He was far to smart and competent to stay there. I wish him well.

My experience working for him was a positive one. He was 767 fleet manager at AFW in 2003, a really rough time. Memorial day 2003 was our first lost holiday. Some genius picked that specific day to start having employee car parked "illegally" (backed in a spot) towed off the property. To Bills credit when he found out what was going on, he personally put a stop to that madness. He did not stay at AFW long. He was far to smart and competent to stay there. I wish him well.
After the layoffs are done and the dust settles and you see who they kept and who they let go you are likely to scratch your head and say WTF.....Just an opinion from a guy who's been with the company for 40 years

when you start to see 2-3 of the top ten or so managers of this company start to bail for greener pastures the cards of the house are starting to cave in. lets call Bill Cade the first one.

when you start to see 2-3 of the top ten or so managers of this company start to bail for greener pastures the cards of the house are starting to cave in. lets call Bill Cade the first one.

Didn't the company announce a few weeks ago that there will be changes coming to upper ranks? Maybe this is a result of what is happening.

i see it more as the rats scurrying off the ship.

Bill Cade is hardly a rat, he is a well respected member of management.

My guess, he mentioned to executives not to treat AMTs like dirt.

Just one thing

Pilots 16% contribution to 401k
FAs. 9.9% contribution ( gave FAs 6% raise, because UAL negotiations taking too long)

AMT. 5%. Match

Can’t bring LAA mechs to LUS mechs contract standards, but they want to so they say.

Bill Cade is and will always be a class act.
He was one of the last AA guys left. This new management team has two intentions from what I have seen already. Tear down the house and take the money and run.

All the names I've seen who are either announcing their retirement or leaving with severance have been long-time AA people.

You eventually get to the point where enough is enough, and when you're in management, it's really not that hard to change industries entirely or go work for an AA competitor.

#WalkAAway

All the names I've seen who are either announcing their retirement or leaving with severance have been long-time AA people.

You eventually get to the point where enough is enough, and when you're in management, it's really not that hard to change industries entirely or go work for an AA competitor.

#WalkAAway
Soon enough we will hear from Bill Cade on his new position at another company. Most likely another carrier or a freight outfit like FedEx or UPS. It's a matter of time. That's the usual pattern unless your at retirement age.

The last 2 Directors that have announced they are leaving one was AWA and one LUS. So far it seems pretty spread out on the Tech OP side.

#WalkAAway
FWIW, Cade was TWA orignally.
Well respected and well liked is all I've heard of him.

Last edited:

#WalkAAway
After 9/11 and 2 bankruptcies and being as close to liquidation as a company could get I've come to the conclusion that the executive officers dont think the levels of people being canned now are that important.I could also tell you from my 40 years with the company the levels below the directors need to be thinned also......Big time

Last edited: