Separate non-rev booking site

Luckynr

Jun 22, 2017
I'm not sure if this is a silly question, but I'm about to become a registered companion (lucky me!) and want to know if I'll have a separate login to book my travel. I had understood that employee website and logins are confidential and secure. Anyone know the answer?

As far as I know, the website (Jetnet) where we access the non-rev travel planner is available only to employees. I know a number of employees who give their login information to their spouse/partner/casual observer, but in most corporations (and I spent over 20 years in the Information Technology fields) giving your logon info to anyone, including another employee, is a termination offense.

Considering what happened at DFW recently, I don't think the company would be in a forgiving mood. What happened? A gate agent posted the passcode for accessing all the DFW AA jetbridges on Facebook. The gate passcodes had to be changed at every AA gate in DFW. A definite no-no. The TSA and the FAA are investigating from what I heard. I hope that employee has a backup plan for long-term employment.

My guess is that the employee who has designated you as their registered companion will still have to book your travel for you. But, I wouldn't swear to that. There have been a lot of changes in the travel system policies over the past year or two. Your companion should find out the answer to your question, if for no other reason...their own peace of mind.

As far as I know, the website (Jetnet) where we access the non-rev travel planner is available only to employees. I know a number of employees who give their login information to their spouse/partner/casual observer, but in most corporations (and I spent over 20 years in the Information Technology fields) giving your logon info to anyone, including another employee, is a termination offense.

Considering what happened at DFW recently, I don't think the company would be in a forgiving mood. What happened? A gate agent posted the passcode for accessing all the DFW AA jetbridges on Facebook. The gate passcodes had to be changed at every AA gate in DFW. A definite no-no. The TSA and the FAA are investigating from what I heard. I hope that employee has a backup plan for long-term employment.

My guess is that the employee who has designated you as their registered companion will still have to book your travel for you. But, I wouldn't swear to that. There have been a lot of changes in the travel system policies over the past year or two. Your companion should find out the answer to your question, if for no other reason...their own peace of mind.

Thanks, Jimntx, for the prompt reply! So weird that I couldn't find the answer elsewhere.

You could have found the answer by asking the person who made you their RC. That should have been even faster! People have no business using, let alone giving out their passes, if they don't understand the system themselves. Trust me, plenty don't. I still find idiots who seem to think it's OK to list for consecutive flights to the same destination. I don't understand why they do that, besides the fact it's against the rules.

One of the reasons we have just moved to a new travel sight is for this type of functionality. Not sure when it is rolling out, some time this year, all the people listed under an employee (Family, Companions, Parents, Guest etc) will be able to create their own log in and password , make their own listings and most importantly pay for it themselves.

Reactions: Rogallo
Considering the passion that a number of AA employees have for breaking the rules just so they can brag about "getting away with something", we'll see how long this "new and improved" travel system lasts. Particularly since even the non-rule-breakers don't bother to really learn the policies and procedures. They pay more attention to what has been posted on Facebook than what is posted on Jetnet in the travel section.

Cynical? Moi? How could you say such a thing? :rolleyes:

The airline I work for must be far more tech saavy than AA. My wife and registered travelers have always had their own unique logins for booking travel.

And for cynical Jim, they all know the consequences. Never once had an issue but I'm also not just giving the passes away or bartering them on Craigslist....

As much as I loathe playing "travel agent" with pass travelers, I am uneasy about them making their own listings whenever this new option will become available.

Having the advantage of experience, I can see potential problems to someone wish-list of flights... "What? You mean the flights will be full on the day before Thanksgiving?" "The flight had 20 open, but I didn't see the 40 stand-by's." Not to mention an overzealous guest pass traveler deciding to blow through my 16-pass allotment over a few months on short-haul trips without my knowledge. Also I know how to find alternative routes with much better chances of completing the trip instead of more direct (yet crowded) flights.

I pretty much concede that I will be greatly inconvenienced on listing people for pass travel until I tell them, "No more."

The airline I work for must be far more tech saavy than AA. My wife and registered travelers have always had their own unique logins for booking travel.

And for cynical Jim, they all know the consequences. Never once had an issue but I'm also not just giving the passes away or bartering them on Craigslist....

Are you sure about that? I've heard more than one flight attendant make a statement like "Those passes /that sick leave/that "fill in the blank" belongs to me. I can do anything with it/them I want."

Thanks for all the input, guys. To Upnaway, what great news for American to have a separate login and ID.

Are you sure about that? I've heard more than one flight attendant make a statement like "Those passes /that sick leave/that "fill in the blank" belongs to me. I can do anything with it/them I want."
Absolutely -- I tell them the boundaries and rules before I issue them a login. No different than explaining it when I sent pre-validated paper passes in the mail to my parents 25 years ago.

Oh, I do the same, but that's not what I was talking about. You said, "they all know the consequences." Judging from your reply to my post the "they" you are talking about is the users of your passes. I was talking about the employees themselves and questioning the statement that they all know the consequences. Judging from some the shenanigans I see played with non-rev travel, I find it hard to believe that the employees I was talking about truly know (or care about) the consequences of their actions. I guess they think the union can get them out of the ditch if the company finds out about what some of them have been doing.

Are you all sure it is a complete booking site for non-employees or a payment site? I thought the employee would still have to book and then the guest could go pay. I am not sure I would want friends and family having access to booking. I trust them but mistakes can happen. It will be good to let them pay their own charges.

I don't think anyone knows for sure. This whole "new" system violates a basic tenet of Information Technology design and development...IF IT WORKS, PLEASE DON'T FIX IT. Particularly since we seem to have an IT approach that someone in management who knows nothing about the day to day issues of the particular work group can specify what that work group needs without any input from the people doing the job. Even worse, there are times when the manager doing the specifications did, in fact, do the job at one time...15 or 20 years ago.

But, don't get me started.

Oh, I do the same, but that's not what I was talking about. You said, "they all know the consequences." Judging from your reply to my post the "they" you are talking about is the users of your passes. I was talking about the employees themselves and questioning the statement that they all know the consequences. Judging from some the shenanigans I see played with non-rev travel, I find it hard to believe that the employees I was talking about truly know (or care about) the consequences of their actions. I guess they think the union can get them out of the ditch if the company finds out about what some of them have been doing.

Reading some of the comments on a few Facebook non-rev pages, there seems to be widespread cheating and all sorts of corruption going one. Folks are bullying and threatening coworkers over seat assignments and when to take the jumpseat or not...crazy. It seems the commuters are a hot topic and sore subject with a lot of agents and other employees.....Seems like this has been going on for a while and AA hasn't done anything to ease the corruption...