Should Southwest have more then 737s?

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines/Airtran Airways' started by B737 driver, Apr 12, 2019.

1. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

MAX 10 will be available next year some time. Hopefully MAX 8 problems will be solved before then. MAX 10 is supposed to be 66 inches longer than MAX 8 & 9, but with same wing. Will this solve gate space issues? Or, does length require gate parking changes? Five and a half feet could also create hangar issues, maybe?

2. swamt

swamt Veteran

As far as hangar space for us, no prob. in Dallas. Have plenty of room fwd and aft to fit a Max 10.
    We are building new hangars in several cities and it will be interesting to know the different size of a/c that could fit when completed, especially in Houston. Those hangars should be built with future a/c in mind so maybe the Hou hangars will be the tell tale the most for us on where the co. might be thinking in future sized a/c. 5 or 6 new hangar bays in Hou.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. B737 driver

B737 driver Veteran

It will have different main gear that pivots down like the 757 to prevent tail strikes.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. swamt

swamt Veteran

I was just talking to someone in the know about our hangars being built. All new hangars being built currently in the cities listed above will be able to fit 777's. So large enough to fit any new a/c that southwest might entertain to go to.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. swamt

swamt Veteran

6. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

I know I'm missing something here, but why are the new hangars being built at IAH when HOU is the real center of Houston operations for Southwest? Just no space for them at HOU?

7. blue collar

blue collar Veteran

The Southwest hangars are being built at HOU, not sure where you got IAH from?

8. swamt

swamt Veteran

Here's that article I referenced about the 787:

Safety Concerns Reportedly Raised About Another Boeing Jet, The 787 Dreamliner - News

9. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

I saw a reference on-line to the hangars which said they were being built at IAH. It's why I asked the question I did. Thanks for the clarification.

10. swamt

swamt Veteran

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. swamt

swamt Veteran

Will SWA pull the trigger anytime soon? I doubt it for anytime soon. Maybe some time after 2030. SWA has also used "shopping around" for aircraft as a way to get better pricing from Boeing. Plus, it's always good to learn about the new models coming from other manufacturers to be sure Boeing is keeping up with the new technology and more efficient engines. Just like "bags fly free" Never say never...

Is Southwest Airlines Looking Beyond the Boeing 737 MAX?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. B737 driver

B737 driver Veteran

We had a meeting at work about the Max, they expect the FAA to lift the restrictions in July, G.E. has already changed 5 engines and borescoped the rest in Victorville, and changed the fuel nozzles. When these come back to the fleet they have maintaince cards that needs done. So they will be ferried to the bases with hangars and run them nose to tail, before they fly revenue. So lots of overtime coming later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. blue collar

blue collar Veteran

Bring on the OT!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. swamt

swamt Veteran

No kidding blue.

• Winner Winner x 1