SkyBus Expansion

I'm rooting for Lakeland, Florida. Its about 30 mins from the Disney area and Tampa right in the middle along I-4. Perfect Skybus city. There is a direct connector to the interstate going both ways so they should be able to draw from both areas with 1 airport as opposed to PIE for Tampa and SFB for Orlando. The reason Lakeland keeps reporting they dont have air service is they are too close to Tampa and Orlando so this should be the perfect spot for Skybus.

Looks like they won approval to start service from CMH to CUN and NAS this fall.

WOW! Cancun and Nassau! Wow! Provide me a link, I wanna see this!

Also, SX is in talks with Austin Bergstrom once T-2 opens.

I heard SX had plans to fly to Mars when Boeing comes up w/ a such spacecraft ;) Oh wait...that was US Airways.

I don't see SX taking the leap to international flying so quickly. I think AUS + more Florida destinations, and greater frequencies are needed first.

They are launching a second FLL and I wouldn't be surprised to see a second BUR and OAK.

It's not FLL (or SAN, OAK, or BUR for that matter) where I think they won't do well. It's going to be in places like BLI, GSO, RIC, and Chicopee, MA where I think that they'll run into problems. I'm sure there is a decent amount of traffic between CMH and BDL since they're both insurance centers, but what business man is going to want to fly into Chicopee (identifier??) and then drive an hour to a meeting and to top that off - they only have one flight per day.

In other news, Skybus has filed with the DOT for authority to fly CMH-CUN/NAS. I didn't know they wanted to go international so soon, but these sound like promising routes.

DOT Application

BLI has traditionally attracted Canadians (southern suburbs of Vancouver) and Americans (from Everett northward to the Canadian border). My parents live in a southern suburb of SEA and I wouldn't think of flying to BLI. As for a nonstop to CMH, I'm not sure...

They must be doing ok to say the least. I also understand their food and souvenirs are selling very well.

We are still waiting on their announcement for their next expansion.

I wonder what their next hub will be. Bellingham is my guess.... Or I should say Seattle/Vancouver/Tacoma/Walla Walla/ Spokane/ Portland/ Reno/ Chicago/ Fairbanks (Bellingham) International Airport

Where the hell do they come up with these airports we have never heard before. Pretty soon they will begin service between CMH and exit 7A on the New Jersey Turnpike NJT lets call it between NYC and PHL :shock:

Rumor has it that Skybus might be starting service at ILG (Wilmington, DE) soon, since DL is pulling out in less than a month. I wonder how that is gonna work out.

Rumor has it that Skybus might be starting service at ILG (Wilmington, DE) soon, since DL is pulling out in less than a month. I wonder how that is gonna work out.

AHAHAHAHAHA I remember reading the Delta press release stating how great it is that DL now serves all 50 states with the addition of ILG!!!! I am not surprised to see SkyBus want to target the Philadelphia market. However, I think Trenton, NJ makes more sense. However, ILG does have the TSA facilities in place (it must if it serves ASA's daily ATL run), thus making it an easier start-up station.

yes, TSA does have the facilities set up at ILG.

DGS (Delta Global Services) which does the ticketing/ground handling for DL at ILG is hoping to get the contract with Skybus to handle their ticketing/ground handling. However, it is unknown if Skybus will bring in their own staff.

If they do begin service to ILG, I hope they market themselves better than DL did.

July system load factor was 79.9%

They are the 5th largest carrier at Columbus - Southwest is the biggest.

"official"

effective 12/5:

new Skybus cities:

CHA
Punta Gorda (2 flights)
MKE
GPT

effective 12/17:

St. Augustine goes to 2 flights

I'm suprised by MKE since there is already competition on that route albeit 2 CRJs and 2 Dornier 328's by Midwest operated by Skywest and Skyway. They're fare's aren't the lowest though and I'd guess that they're mostly carrying connecting passengers. I guess Skybus is thinking they'll market this as MKE and northern Chicago?

Skybus is also starting some non CMH routes in I think Dec linking PSM (Portsmith, NH) or Skybus talk for Boston to both Punta Gorda and St Augustine. I also think I read about FLL-GSO. Surprisingly I read CMH-GSO has the highest load factor of all their routes, I would not have guessed that. Also GSO is rumored to be their second focus city.

Regards

LGA777

Latest posts