So Long MD-80s?

MD-80 is awesome! So Sprit MD-80
are you joining the "Save The 80 Club" ? :D
Gents, Yes the MD series were quite a fleet of dang good airplanes but, as was previously mentioned, with Fuel costs going skyhigh, the thought of parking them makes sense. Heck, I still like the old 72's but they really suck the fuel. If the pockets were deeper or we had a couple Saudi Arabian oil fields in Texas, perhaps we could keep some of these old birds around. However, I doubt that will happen within my next 4 lifetimes. Heck, I'm considering dumping my Expedition so I can actually drive by a Gas Station without feeling the steering wheel jerk towards the entrance. <hmmm> Maybe that was a hint to stop for Beer? I won't go into the Bus Vs Boeing debate but I do prefer good ol' American products <even though alot is manu'd overseas>. Good Luck with your Buses Spirit, I think you will need it. Just my HO.

MD-80 is awesome! So Sprit MD-80
are you joining the "Save The 80 Club" ? :D

YES I WILL. I AM DARN PROUD OF IT TOO! Please send a message to Spirit. Tell the airline you want the MD-80, but the Airbus too, it is only fair, but NK can find some MD-80s, if we tell them we want the Super 80. Possibly if NK changes thier minds, will they recive any of Alsakas planes? What is the chance of this happening?

YES I WILL. I AM DARN PROUD OF IT TOO! Please send a message to Spirit. Tell the airline you want the MD-80, but the Airbus too, it is only fair, but NK can find some MD-80s, if we tell them we want the Super 80. Possibly if NK changes thier minds, will they recive any of Alsakas planes? What is the chance of this happening?
okay, I read on Sprit's website by 2007 they will only operate Airbus's!
that really stinks :down: :down:

It may stink up your little Fan Club but it will save them $$$ on Heavy Checks, Fuel, Recurrent training and having a 1 Fleet type operation, etc. Would you rather NK or AS keep the MD's and maybe go out of business? Then they won't fly at all, will they. This isn't about "Romancing Airplanes". It's about Business and making a profit. Get your Fan Club together and YOU pay for the upkeep on the MD Fleet for both them, Delta and AA. You'd see the light on the first C check. Alaska & Spirit are smart on this move. Maybe the 4-5 of you can "Pool" your Bank accounts and buy one, fly around, see the sights. Take in Vegas for a weekend. Enjoy the ripe smell of the Lav in the morning on a Summer day. Yep, that seems logical to me.

Agreed. The MD-80 is a very good plane...but I believe it's also a fuel hog. Stack it up against the A320 family or the B737NGs and, in terms of efficiency, there's no comparison. That's why it's so disappointing that the B717 (MD-95) didn't last longer. Same great construction, very quiet, excellent performance with much better fuel efficiency. However, with no "family" the B717 didn't stand much of a chance to make it in the current market.

Unfortunately, with fuel on a sharp upward track, I would expect more carriers to begin parking MD-80s sooner rather than later. Spirit and Alaska have both said they're good aircraft; they just burn too much jet-A.

Evidently AA is studying replacing the JT8D-200s on the MD-80s.

ATW Daily News

I wonder what engines they would use? V2500s would probably fit (al la MD-90), but I'm not sure of the engine's track record. Maybe the CFM56? It would provide commonality with the 737-800s, but would the fan be too large?

Sounds like AA is wading into virgin territory here. Has anyone done this with MD-80s before?

With so many -80s in its fleet, it may pay off for AA to try engine replacement, but other operators of this aircraft (like Alaska) will certainly have to wait until someone like AA charts this course before they consider it.

I was looking through the Wikipdia article for Boeing aircraft and came across a concept known as the "7J7". It was supposed to allow Boeing to compete with the A320, as well as a successor to the 727.

7J7.jpg

"After Airbus launches the 150-seat A320, Boeing promises a radical new airliner with advanced propeller engines on its tail. The 7J7 will burn 50 percent less fuel, Boeing says, with a wider cabin, and it will be ready by 1992. Boeing flies the new General Electric engine on a 727 test bed, but the project is dead by 1987, killed by a combination of lower fuel prices :shock: (which make fuel savings less valuable) and technical risks. Meanwhile Airbus gets its first big U.S. airline sales with the A320."

MD had a similar idea with what they called the MD-94X.
"Configuration was similar to the MD-80, but advanced technologies such as canard noseplanes, laminar and turbulent boundary layer control, side-stick flight control (via fiber optics), and aluminum-lithium alloy construction were under consideration."

The GE-36 Unducted Fan engine looked like a torture device. (Actually, it strangely reminds me of the "Needler" from the X-Box game Halo)
GE-36_UDF_Domke.jpg

It is somewhat ironic that the reason for this plane being cancelled was the gas prices going down, since it seems all they do today is go up. This may be one of the first planes I've heard of being cancelled for being too efficient for its time :p
It is a longshot, but this maybe one way to save the MD-80. I personally believe Boeing should restart MD-80 production either with the GE-36 unducted fan engines, or what about using the GEnx engines that are being used on the 787? The new planes are great, but a updated MD-80, with new engines would be super efficient and would be just as durable and long-lasting as the original MD-80s.

I was looking through the Wikipdia article for Boeing aircraft and came across a concept known as the "7J7". It was supposed to allow Boeing to compete with the A320, as well as a successor to the 727.

7J7.jpg

"After Airbus launches the 150-seat A320, Boeing promises a radical new airliner with advanced propeller engines on its tail. The 7J7 will burn 50 percent less fuel, Boeing says, with a wider cabin, and it will be ready by 1992. Boeing flies the new General Electric engine on a 727 test bed, but the project is dead by 1987, killed by a combination of lower fuel prices :shock: (which make fuel savings less valuable) and technical risks. Meanwhile Airbus gets its first big U.S. airline sales with the A320."

"Configuration was similar to the MD-80, but advanced technologies such as canard noseplanes, laminar and turbulent boundary layer control, side-stick flight control (via fiber optics), and aluminum-lithium alloy construction were under consideration."

The GE-36 Unducted Fan engine looked like a torture device. (Actually, it strangely reminds me of the "Needler" from the X-Box game Halo)
GE-36_UDF_Domke.jpg

It is somewhat ironic that the reason for this plane being cancelled was the gas prices going down, since it seems all they do today is go up. This may be one of the first planes I've heard of being cancelled for being too efficient for its time :p
It is a longshot, but this maybe one way to save the MD-80. I personally believe Boeing should restart MD-80 production either with the GE-36 unducted fan engines, or what about using the GEnx engines that are being used on the 787? The new planes are great, but a updated MD-80, with new engines would be super efficient and would be just as durable and long-lasting as the original MD-80s.
Wow, that is wild and the first I've ever heard of it. Thanks for sharing.... B)

Wow, that is wild and the first I've ever heard of it. Thanks for sharing.... B)
<_< ------ I believe american Airlines is looking into the feasibility of re engining their MD80's. With what, I have no Idea! Although, I don't think it would be to much of a problem, seeing the 717, and the MD90, have the same "basic" fuselage, and pylon concept! And both have a more efficient engines!

7J7.jpg

GE-36_UDF_Domke.jpg

<_< ----- I believe G.E. had the same problem RR had with their original RB211 engine! The blades, on the first stage compressor in the case of RR, were Carbon Fiber rapped! And ice was causing them to crack! Another reason to scrap this concept!

And now that there are more efficient engines available, there is no reason to build something like the GE-36. GE is working on the GEnx engine for the 787 and the A-350. I wonder if American is thinking about using that engine on their MD-80 fleet. That will be expensive, but it is a better option than scrapping perfectly good aircraft for brand new ones. Those MD-80's have a lot more life in them.

I should also add that a similar propfan concept is used on the Antonov AN-70.

800px-Antonow_An_70_rvb_jno_MACS_2001_0037.03.jpg

800px-Antonow_An_70_prop_detail_rvb_jno_MACS_2001_0037.03.jpg

So the concept works, however is has been reported that even with the engines set further back on the aircraft, there is still a lot of noise. But these days passengers just want a cheap ticket, even if that means putting up with more engine noise than usual.

:up: :up: :up: No, its AWESUM, the 80's are a piece of CRAP, always was and always will be. So glad AS is dumping those "things", uncomfrtable, and flies like a roller coaster in rough ( turbulent ) weather! Glad to fly on &37ng's and Airbus!! Luv the A 320- 321!!

WHY oH WHY!!!!!... the 80's are a piece of ol DC9 crap, good ridance. LUV the Airbus, hate the 80 club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:down: :down: :down:

:up: :up: :up: No, its AWESUM, the 80's are a piece of CRAP, always was and always will be. So glad AS is dumping those "things", uncomfrtable, and flies like a roller coaster in rough ( turbulent ) weather! Glad to fly on &37ng's and Airbus!! Luv the A 320- 321!!

WHY oH WHY!!!!!... the 80's are a piece of ol DC9 crap, good ridance. LUV the Airbus, hate the 80 club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:down: :down: :down:
JMHO, The parked 80's should become artificial reefs in the ocean, and the airbus soon behind. I'd bet the 80s would have less corrosion than the Bus in 2 weeks. Sorry but I'll take a 737NG anyday over an 80 or Bus. Again, JMHO!